zip compression

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by homeshire, Jan 12, 2004.

1. homeshire macrumors regular

i'm not very knowledgeable about these things, so this really is a question born of curiosity.

i just zip compressed a fairly large file only to discover that it was not that much smaller when done. indeed, it was still too big to burn to disc as backup. not worth doing. my question is -- is that a fair characterization, or am i missing something? thanks for help and explanations. :confused:

2. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

you would've zipped something that was already compressed. A lot of things are. To get by your problem, try zipping or rar'ing or whatever to the file, then split the file. I've only done that in stuffit on PC because thats where the source was. Not sure if stuffit on Mac can do it though..

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Stuffit is Mac-dominant. Of course it can split archives.

4. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Yeah that was more of less the way my mind was geared but usually when people assume stuff and then find out it's wrong I get annoyed so I didn't want to be hypocritical :D but thanx for clearing it up dude.

5. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

what kind of file was it? certain types of files just don't compress well.

6. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

it's a video file i want to back up. they're just too big to leave sitting on your hard drive. aren't there other dvd types with higher capacity?

7. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

video's are already compressed usually. So you won't be able to compress 'em any much further with zip.