Zip Drive Performance MUCH Better in X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Hemingray, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I regularly back up my web sites. They're small enough to fit onto zip disks just fine. Problem is, there are several thousand files to copy over, and WITHOUT FAIL my zip drive would choke midway every time... under OS 9, that is. Being the stubborn bastard that I am, I wouldn't give in and spend the time segmenting my web sites into smaller chunks. So I'd stop copying and start over. Sometimes it would take 5 or 6 times before a flawless transfer... and 10 or 20 minutes of my life down the tubes.

Since X (and the blessing of GoLive 6) I haven't had one hiccup from my zip drive. Not one. It copies 5,000+ files over like nothing.

So... where did all the disk errors go? Is X that much better at file handling? Is it the UNIX core that allows it to happen? If not, why the hell didn't they fix it in 9? Mac OS X ain't exactly the fastest gun in the West, but it's made backing up a breeze (as it should have been all along!)

Your thoughts/knowledge/other observations are welcome!

2. gerror macrumors 6502

I just want to ad that I have the same expierence as you. I use my zip to take homework from school to my mac at home and since I use X it just goes smoother. I used to format the disks every once and a while but I haven't since I use X.
    Bravo Apple