Zip is Dead...Portable Hard Drive Needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Black&Tan, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I've done a quick search and it looks like this was last covered in 2003, so I'm looking for more recent info. I need a small hard drive (about 1gig or so) that can be used to transport data between my work computer (Mirror Door G4) and my home machine (1st Gen Dual G5). Both using Panther. The files involved are Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark/In Design. This drive will see a lot of adding and deleting of files, although I will most likely never use the entire gig of space. As far as physical size, the smaller the better.

Zip disks are just not cutting it anymore, I'm tired of carrying around multiple disks only to find the files I need are at home or work. Any suggestions?

2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

These is a wealth of options availible if you only want 1Gb of portable storage.

ZIP goes up to 750MB and is backwards combaitible, Imoega also do a 35MB removable disk similar to the ZIP but more pricerer but smaller than than a ZIP and of course a 1GB USB keyfobs are quite cheap nowadays.

Pester someone at an Apple store if you can get past the Hordes of parents trying to find an (or any availble) iPod for their brats.

What i would is buy a small FW hard drive.
    About the same size as a ZIP and a bit heaver with about 40GB of storage is average.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

PlaceofDis, that looks like it might fit the bill nicely. How does Flash memory compare to disk memory? Is one better suited for frequent file reads and rewrites? Thanks!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

flash memory is very durable, there are no moving parts so less to break like on the large hard drives with moving parts, they are basically solid state media and i have yet to have problems with my 128mb jumpdrive and i have heard no complaints from any one i know with one

both flash and disk memory are durable, but if you want something small and compact for frequent trips then the flash is the way to go, disk media is always going to be bigger for now at least

6. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I would also recommend a usb key drive. BTW, right now they have them at officemax for about $70 for 1GB drive, and there's a rebate (I think $20) on it. $50 for 1GB is a steal...

7. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I know you need less than 1 GB of space, but honestly, have you considered an iPod or iPod mini? Two birds with one stone if you've wanted one.

8. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I've considered the iPod, but it just doesn't work for me right now. I'm too dedicated to CD's and I have an awesome Sony sound system at work. I wouldn't mind buying one for my wife, once FM radio becomes standard. But that's a topic for another thread...

9. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Just go with a 1GB jump drive. Just make sure that your MDD G4 has USB 2.0 or your transfers will be slow. BTW a USB 2.0 card is only about $10 if you don't have it on the MDD.

10. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Great! Thanks, I'll look into the USB 2.0 card.

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I have a 128 MB USB flash drive and it is great. I do a lot of work off of it. Remember to eject it first else you might lose your data!

12. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Just noticed this thread. 1GB memory stick someone is selling.