.zip problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rendezvouscp, Aug 15, 2004.

1. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Well, I just got back from Australia, only to find that all of my zip files are not opening. All of them are over 1 GB, and they aren't irreplaceable, but pretty important. Without warning, they stop opening with no trace. It usually takes about 5 minutes for this to occur. Well, I hope someone has some suggestions as to recovering the data, I'll provide anything you need. Thanks in advance.
    –Chase

2. rendezvouscp thread starter macrumors 68000

BTW, I'm in Panther, with no beta software in sight. I'm now getting these reports: Unable to unarchive "file.zip" into "/Users/user/folder". (Error 2 - No such file or directory.)
    –Chase

3. rendezvouscp thread starter macrumors 68000

For the past hour, I have been trying free recovery programs off of VersionTracker, to no avail. I have been able to grab some of the data from one zip, but the other two say that they have no directory, and it looks like they belong to other zips (ie, one of four zips...). I do hope someone has one last hope for me.
    –Chase

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

How were the ZIP files created in the first place? Are these ones you made on your Mac, and now they don't work? Or are they ones you received from someone that won't work?

Did they work before?

What application are you using to unZip? OS X built-in or something like Stuffit?

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to see what may be the root of the issue.

5. powerbookje macrumors member

powerbookje

try expanding it with the finder's (BOM archive helper) or using stuffit expander or terminal unzip ?

6. rendezvouscp thread starter macrumors 68000

I created all three in the Finder on my Mac, and I haven't opened them previously. First, I opened them with the Finder (BomArchive), then I tried Stuffit, then various other apps (JIMZip, DropExtract, ArchiveViewer, and Untar). JIMZip recovered some of the files within one of the zips, but not from all three or all the data. How do you run unzipping through the terminal? I hope some of this info helps.
    –Chase