Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the_insider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
USA / UK
I unlocked my otb1.1.4 8gb with ZiPhone not too long ago, and now with the Pwnage Tool coming out next week, my question is... Will it be possible for me to somehow restore my ZiPhone unlocked iPhone and then use the Pwnage Tool to unlock my phone instead?

retepppank

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
Hi,

have the same config here as the_insider. An up and running iPhone 1.1.4 with ZiPhone 2.6c (i guess, but not 3.0). Wifi, BT, YouTube fine!

Never change a running system... but... you know...

Is it necessary to change to Pwnage or iLiberty+ to work properly with future OS versions (like 1.2/2.0)? Is it possible to use Pwnage because of this "NEVER USE ZIPHONE BECAUSE IT IS NOT REVERSIBLE"?

Short:
Should I again unlock and jailbreak my iphone with iLiberty+ or Pwnage? Or should I leave it like this (works now 100%)

THANK YOU!

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Shouldn't matter. Many iPhones have 3.9

If he ever needed warranty service on his device, a 3.9 bootloader on a phone that should have 4.6 would raise a red flag in an instant and they'd deny warranty service for software modifications.

Just because "many iPhones have 3.9" doesn't mean its always the best choice.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
If he ever needed warranty service on his device, a 3.9 bootloader on a phone that should have 4.6 would raise a red flag in an instant and they'd deny warranty service for software modifications.

Just because "many iPhones have 3.9" doesn't mean its always the best choice.

Still, the question is not about warranty. Because if for that many people would have non, as Apple checks your cel number to see if you actually activated with the legit carrier. If you do not appear, then they still deny warranty.

Now, back to the crox of the matter, yes using Pwnage one a ZiPhone iPhone is good, not bad. Because using Pwnage can restore your bootloader back to 4.6 even if it is 3.9 original.

retepppank

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
thank you for this quick answer.

but ...

are you sure even if I show you this? I found it in the FAQs of iLiberty+

Behavior an limitations of ZiPhone

* ZiPhone automatically forces a permanent downgrade of the bootloader to 3.9. This cannot be undone and voids your warranty.

hm... is Pwnage powerfull to reverse my ziphoned iphone so I can pwnage it? (love this vocabulary btw...)

perhaps there is someone who could give us a GO because he did it successfully?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.