Zoo Tycoon 2

Discussion in 'Games' started by KrysBaz, Dec 3, 2004.

1. KrysBaz macrumors member

Hello, just been looking on Amazon, and saw an advert for Zoo Tycoon 2.

I have the original and we play often (for far too many hours)

Does anybody know if the new version is to be released on OS X?

Personally I think it is one of the best games for the Mac, as it is so inoffensive and sweet. (Well untill you mix the animals up and cause a riot or let the Tigers run amock around the zoo
    :D )

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Since it's microsoft, I doubt it.

3. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

No, it might make it. If it's a big enough success. If it will get microsoft money, it may just happen. Don't expect it any time soon though.

4. brap macrumors 68000

Zoo Tycoon is one of the worst games I've played. Ever; please don't get me wrong - I still play the original Transport Tycoon ('96, was it? I forget).

Microsoft should really devote more time and resources to getting a decent port of Halo 2...

5. applekid macrumors 68020

As far as Mac games go on Amazon.com, last time I checked either Zoo Tycoon or its expansion was part of the top 5 best sellers. So, I think Zoo Tycoon 2 will have money to be made on the Mac. Ratings tell me Zoo Tycoon 2 is mediocre, so it may be one of those budget games that gets picked up later.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If it was developed with DirectX it won't be ported. Microsoft won't/can't release DirectX for Mac OS X. Thats why we don't have Rollercoaster Tycoon and other simple-minded yet addictive games that take up way too much of our time! I have the original Zoo Tycoon for Mac, and its fun.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

Wow, you're misinformed. You are definitely newbie to these parts of the MacRumors Forums :)

Okay, in a nutshell, when a game is ported, the DirectX API is pretty much scrapped and replaced with OpenGL calls. If what you said was fact, I can pretty much say that every 3D single game from the last five years (give or take) would have never been ported because their PC counterparts all used a DirectX renderer or include a DirectX renderer.

And the reason Rollercoaster Tycoon have not been ported is because the game was written heavily in Intel assembly from what I've read.

8. KrysBaz thread starter macrumors member

Well I can only hope that the game comes out before I draw my pension.

Anyway thanks for the input,

9. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

The best part of Zoo Tycoon: drop a mermaid statue into an aquarium, wait for her to "hatch", then throw her in a tank with great whites. ;)

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well noting that you are in the uk and the state of our pensions system, you will probably have a long time available to wait!

11. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i know the 1st zoo tycoon was good enough to have a sequel on the mac but with both of them i know they didnt sell well enough for us to probably see #2 but then again theres enough new stuff compared so its realy up to M$