Zoom ADSL X5 problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rory Manton, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Rory Manton macrumors regular

Rory Manton

I run my internet through a Zoom router, the problem is every time I have a power cut I can't get back onto t'internet untill my little brother resets the settings. A process which I have tried to undestand but failed.

Is there anyway I can access the settings for the router so I can copy down all the relevent things that make it work now on paper so I can reset it myself.

Thanks all.

2. davidcb13 macrumors member

In the instruction manual it should have a number you can type into your web browser to access the settings...

Most are 192.168.100.1 as default but yours may be different so just check also you might need a username and password to access the settings the default should be in the instruction manual but your brother may have changed it

3. Rory Manton thread starter macrumors regular

Rory Manton

I have a number that opens a page on my browser. If that is the right one will it muck the settings up if I open it and have a peak!

I don't want to touch it at the moment as it all works!:D

4. rjb macrumors newbie

rjb

Why is this thread still here?

The ZOOM ADSL X# series of modem routers by default, are accessible at:
    http://10.0.0.2
    Default User Name: admin
    Default Password: zoomadsl

The quickest way and first step to solve most issues is to reboot, which will reset your flashed settings.
    Just remove the power cord from the back for 30 seconds. Short power glitches occasionally leave the routers in a scrambled state.
    Reboot your modem, then your computer.

Best practice is to purchase a UPS and a good surge protector to put between your UPS and computer gear. (Yes UPS claim to be surge protectors too, but they do a really bad job of surge protection.)

These modem / routers will not forget the settings you have changed provided that you:
    1. "Save Changes" and 2. "Write Settings to Flash"

Simply visiting the Zoom Configuration Manager page at the above referenced (local) URL will not change anything in the router.
    The only changes that can happen are those you consciously choose to make and commit... {Save & Flash]
    (Changes Do Not happen by looking / peaking.)

Visit the ZOOM website to get a free copy of your user's manual here:
    http://www.zoom.com/techsupport/adslsupport.html

"Make you the world a bit better or more beautiful because you have lived in it." Edward W. Bok - (1863-1930)

5. nvaneeckhout101 macrumors newbie

problem with zoom adsl x5 router

I have a macbook laptop and for some reason everytime i plug in my laptop to my zoom adsl x5 router the internet shuts off after five minutes. any help with this problem would be much appreciated.

6. rjb macrumors newbie

rjb

If you have sharing activated you are probably tripping the firewall as macs have an overactive bonjour advertising issue.

Try turning off all shares and then hook up.

Finicky things, them there zoomers.

7. rjb macrumors newbie

rjb

PS... I forgot to mention

You might be pissing off your ISP too, in which case they are shutting you down.

AT&T for example has issues with modems they don't support and make your life hell until you buy one of their very insecure crappy ones that they and everybody else can hack.

http://www.neohaxor.org/tag/netopia-2210/