Zoom H4N mini jack lavalier

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by arjen92, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

arjen92

He everybody,

I've got the Zoom H4N so I could record with it's stereo built in microphones and an external lavalier microphone.

So I got the stuff, and the stereo microphones are working (obviously). I plugged in the lavalier in the back v(where it says "EXT MIC". And I didn't get a signal After a while I found I in "INPUT" I had to turn "PLUG-IN" to "ON".

So I figured that one out.

But it would be nice to use the stereo built in microphones AND the lavalier at the same time.

But whatever I try, when I put the lavalier mono mini jack into an XLR adapter (rode VXLR mono mini jack to XLR) or mini jack to stereo jack adapter, I don't hear anything. I've tried the different modes (stereo, 4Ch, MTR). The gains are also normal (0db), as well as recording lvl (~80).

Is there something I need to turn on? Or are the adapters faulty?

2. macrumors newbie

You have to use the 4CH mode. An explanation of this is on page 037 of the manual. Good luck.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

arjen92

I've tried the 4CH mode. I hooked up a real XLR microphone and it worked (with the phantom power on).

But it doesn't work with the mini jack lavalier microphone.

4. macrumors 6502

Pick up an mini>XLR cable....I use my seinheiser G3 kit all the time and take the mini output from the receiver pack and plug xlr into the Zoom