Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ztylus is a company that specializes in a complete photography kit for the iPhone, bundling a protective iPhone case with a 4-in-1 lens attachment and an additional LED ring light attachment for improving low-light photos. We gave away a special limited edition Ztylus camera kit earlier this year, and now I'm following up with a complete review of the company's accessory system.

ztyluscomponents.jpg

Compared to other photography accessories available for the iPhone, the Ztylus system has some positives and negatives. On the positive side, it's modular and the case can be used with or without the accompanying camera attachment, plus it's nice to have a complete 4-in-1 system that can be stored directly on the iPhone. On the negative side, it's limited to the rear camera, bulky, and adds a lot of weight to the featherlight iPhone 6 Plus.

The Hardware

There are two main parts to the Ztylus: the iPhone case and the camera lens attachment. The iPhone case can be used without the lenses, but the reverse is not true -- Ztylus's lenses require the Ztylus case and can't be used with another third-party case due to the way the lens attachment snaps onto the back. The case I reviewed is the Metal Series for the iPhone 6 Plus.

ztyluscasefrontandback.jpg

The case itself comes apart in two pieces to get it onto the phone, and as far as cases go, it's protective and in line with other open-screen cases on the market. It's mainly made of a hard, textured plastic and comes in several different colors, with a solid metal bottom piece. There's a large hole in the back of the case, which is where the lens attachment snaps in. When the lens isn't attached, there's a separate plastic piece with a built-in kickstand that can prop the iPhone up for taking photos or watching movies.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Ztylus Review: This Modular Lens and Case System Protects Your Phone and Improves Your Photos

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

rodedwards

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010

Ztylus is a company that specializes in a complete photography kit for the iPhone, bundling a protective iPhone case with a 4-in-1 lens attachment and an additional LED ring light attachment for improving low-light photos. We gave away a special limited edition Ztylus camera kit earlier this year, and now I'm following up with a complete review of the company's accessory system.

ztyluscomponents.jpg

Compared to other photography accessories available for the iPhone, the Ztylus system has some positives and negatives. On the positive side, it's modular and the case can be used with or without the accompanying camera attachment, plus it's nice to have a complete 4-in-1 system that can be stored directly on the iPhone. On the negative side, it's limited to the rear camera, bulky, and adds a lot of weight to the featherlight iPhone 6 Plus.

The Hardware

There are two main parts to the Ztylus: the iPhone case and the camera lens attachment. The iPhone case can be used without the lenses, but the reverse is not true -- Ztylus's lenses require the Ztylus case and can't be used with another third-party case due to the way the lens attachment snaps onto the back. The case I reviewed is the Metal Series for the iPhone 6 Plus.

ztyluscasefrontandback.jpg

The case itself comes apart in two pieces to get it onto the phone, and as far as cases go, it's protective and in line with other open-screen cases on the market. It's mainly made of a hard, textured plastic and comes in several different colors, with a solid metal bottom piece. There's a large hole in the back of the case, which is where the lens attachment snaps in. When the lens isn't attached, there's a separate plastic piece with a built-in kickstand that can prop the iPhone up for taking photos or watching movies.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Ztylus Review: This Modular Lens and Case System Protects Your Phone and Improves Your Photos

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
No matter how good the iPhone camera is (I just used a "6" as my only camera for a vacation last week and got some awesome shots) there is a point where you're spending so much on accessories to make it "better" that you might as well save a few more bucks and just get a "real" camera.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

wegwhehwegqwegqew

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
Just buy a Nokia, about the same size with that case on, except the Nokia looks better

Yeah but then you'd have to, with a straight face, use a Nokia, and most of us were raised better than that.

Regardless, this yoke is hideous and pointless.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah but then you'd have to, with a straight face, use a Nokia, and most of us were raised better than that.

Regardless, this yoke is hideous and pointless.

You must be very young. I've used some awesome Nokias in my time, week battery life, indestructible, awesome cameras, just to name a few. There were good phones before the iPhone ;)

wegwhehwegqwegqew

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
You must be very young. I've used some awesome Nokias in my time, week battery life, indestructible, awesome cameras, just to name a few. There were good phones before the iPhone ;)

I'm 25. My first colour phone was a Nokia. And back then Nokia had the simplest interface so it was the best, in my opinion. However, I'm not going to pretend that their current batch of decent cameras make up for the unmitigated disaster that is Windows Phone, their constantly rehashed designs (we get it, you guys like molded polycarbonate and Cyan!) and their insufferable customer base that far exaggerates the benefits of their platform.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm 25. My first colour phone was a Nokia. And back then Nokia had the simplest interface so it was the best, in my opinion. However, I'm not going to pretend that their current batch of decent cameras make up for the unmitigated disaster that is Windows Phone, their constantly rehashed designs (we get it, you guys like molded polycarbonate and Cyan!) and their insufferable customer base that far exaggerates the benefits of their platform.

Well that is your opinon. I quite like the windows phone, my 930 is a solid performer, my iPhone 6 plus is going back to the genius store for a 4th time cause it's the worst iPhone I have ever owned with constant freezing. My 5s runs like dream in comparison .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.