Zuckerberg: Android's Openness Offers Opportunity for 'Way Better' Experience Than iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following today's introduction of Facebook Home, a new people-focused integration layer for Android devices, Fortune has published an interview with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in which he discusses a number of topics including the rivalry between Apple and Google in the mobile market.

In Zuckerberg's view, the open nature of Google that has allowed Facebook to build Home offers a great opportunity for advances in the user experience that are considerably more difficult to achieve within iOS given Apple's control over the platform.
    [​IMG]
    Zuckerberg shared a similar sentiment with Wired, noting that the question of whether Facebook Home would be on iOS within two years was "above my pay grade".
    Apple and Facebook have at times had a strained relationship, as evidenced by difficulties related to Apple's now-defunct Ping social networking feature in iTunes, although the two companies have recently been working more closely together with system-wide Facebook integration appearing in iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion.

Article Link: Zuckerberg: Android's Openness Offers Opportunity for 'Way Better' Experience Than iPhone

2. macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

while it maybe more open, it's still not a better experience than iPhone

3. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Is for me.

Different strokes for different folk and all.

4. macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

that's like your opinion, man

5. macrumors member

keep the openness for yourself you 1984 style freak.

6. macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

why would apple allow facebook to hijack their phones?

7. macrumors 6502

Well, if anyone would know about quality, it's Zuckerberg.

/snerk

8. macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Yup. Ads on the lock screen is definitely a "way better" experience. :rolleyes:

9. macrumors regular

fletch33

says the man with a jailbroken iPhone LOL

10. macrumors 68040

iOS already have Facebook integration, I do wonder how many users there are that truly feel that it's a "great experience" to have a FB home screen.

11. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Meh, I think "experience" is largely based on your personal tastes. Personally Android is a pain in the ass to use, but I know people who love it and think iPhones are a pain. It's like saying someone is wrong for not liking a particular ice cream flavor.

12. macrumors 68020

Why would anyone?

13. macrumors 65816

true. It's not even stock Android, come on now.

14. macrumors regular

Of course android is better for facebook. Neither company understands the term "customer privacy"

15. macrumors regular

I just glad that I got off the Facebook train six months ago so that events like this are entirely meaningless to me.

16. macrumors 6502

In your eyes. My experience is better with my Google Andriod phones.

17. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

18. macrumors 68000

oneMadRssn

He's probably right about the time, I do spend about 20% of the screen time of my phone in the facebook app. However, my goal is to shrink this number, not grow it. I don't want MORE facebook. I want less facebook, more efficiently. And I especially want to keep it easy to ignore facebook (by using willpower to not open the app).

19. macrumors 6502

bb426

20. macrumors 65816

You can actually have a "much better" experience without crappy ads, just use intelliscreen X on iOS. You can set the lockscreen to give you a facebook feed. So you don't have to 'settle' for an inferior Android device while stalking your friends.

21. Stella, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

macrumors 603

Stella

If customers want a more open phone they'll start buying Android.. and Apple will respond by "opening up" iOS more - i.e., exposing more API and relaxing its AppStore rules.

No surprise that Zuckerberg is talking up Android really given today's announcement...

Apple could improve the UI, especially Settings. For example, in Safari settings, why is the option "Private Browsing" there? It takes multiple key presses, surely this is better placed within Safari.app itself?

Another good example is VPN.. to turn it on -> Settings -> General -> VPN -> On

22. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I like Android...

I like iPhone...

So far, a fascinating and stimulating discussion. :rolleyes:

23. macrumors regular

I sometimes wonder if these people understand what great "experience" actually is. Things may look very cool but that doesn't always translate to a great experience. Simplicity is the most beautiful experience there is.. IMO of course!

24. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

I already spend way too much time on Facebook, why would I want it to take over my phone??

25. macrumors newbie

They don have a clue, which direction it goes. Stay out of my pocket than