Zune advertising

Discussion in 'iPod' started by APPLENEWBIE, Dec 10, 2006.

1. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I find it hilarious that CompUSA, in it's sunday flyer today, is not even advertising the Zune in this Christmas season.... Hmmm... wonder why?

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I was just there today and for the heck of it decided to check out the Zune display. It made me laugh, they don't even have functional devices for people to play around with! And the boxes of Zunes were just sitting out on the shelves below, not in any orderly fashion the looked like they were just thrown there. They didn't even have the large plastic security boxes on them!

Microsoft seems to need some training in the marketing department.

3. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

4. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Oh YEAH.... cuase ipods are always put out there to play with it. :rolleyes:

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Hey, look, it says "no interest until 2010." That sounds pretty much what Microsoft has been saying, no? ;) (Assuming they survive until 2010....)

--Eric

6. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

LoL. the zune advertising is very strange. From the comming zune site the the funky zune "man".
    [​IMG]Lol he looks like he is trying to rub his head and pat his belly at the same time. and what is with the cheezy graident??? I used one in the store the other day and it is like jumping thru hoops just to hear some tunes. It's funny how the logo sums up the experience. you have to move from a to b to c to a again and then go to d. My friend went to buy and ipod last month and the sales guy praticaly begged him to wait till zune came out, my friend responded "sooo, can i get that ipod"

the zune is a joke. it's like scion cars. there not trying to sell the product they make, their exparimenting with advertising. thus far i would say zune failed. 90% of people i talk to don't even know what a gigiabeat... i mean zune is:D
    LOL zune play well with others. ha! 2xha! yeah except for M$'s own "plays for sure"

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you obviously need to check your vision, its right on the frontpage, lol

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I have yet to be in a store where they don't have at least one iPod out to play with (assuming they sell them of course). And even if the iPod isn't working it's at least a real iPod out there not some piece of crap cardboard thing.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I was actually considering buying a Zune, until I came across these reasons NOT to. (taken from Wikipedia)

* Numerous industry pundits have criticized the Zune for its features and functions (see below) based on a side-by-side comparison with the iPod. Meanwhile, others have criticized its DRM and the market's potential responses, especially given that it will compete with Microsoft's own early-adopters of the PlaysForSure DRM scheme. Technology reviewer Leo Laporte (of G4techTV (Canada)) said in his November 12 2006 radio show that Zune may be the "beginning of the end" for DRM as a business tactic.

* Though Zune is a Microsoft product, it is not compatible with players and online music stores using Microsoft's PlaysForSure technology. This includes music purchased from Microsoft's recently retired MSN Music store.

* The first version of Zune Marketplace is not compatible with Windows Vista, which was made available to developers and volume licensing customers in November 2006. Microsoft has stated that Zune Marketplace will be updated in time for the worldwide release of the new operating system in January 2007.

* While Zune has built-in Wi-Fi capabilities, it can only connect to other Zune devices; it can't wirelessly sync with its host PC, nor can it wirelessly connect to the internet and download new music via a Wi-Fi hotspot.

* Songs wirelessly transferred from one Zune to another can only be played three times. After three days, the song expires – regardless of whether or not it has been played. Just playing half the song (or one minute, whichever comes first) counts as one "play." You can never resend a song to the same friend, nor can a song received from someone else be passed on to a third person. These limitations apply to all songs, whether they are copyright free and self-recorded or protected with DRM. Not all songs purchased from the Zune Marketplace can be shared via Wi-Fi with other Zunes

* The software that supports Zune seems to be very unstable on some Microsoft Windows configurations (including Windows XP).

* Unlike many hard drive-based music players, Zune cannot officially be used as an external hard drive.

* Microsoft has entered into a deal with Universal Music Group whereby UMG will receive $1 per Zune sold, paid by Microsoft. UMG’s stance is that digital audio players are "just repositories for stolen music" and hardware manufacturers like Microsoft and Apple Computer should compensate record companies for lost revenue; UMG refused to allow Microsoft to stock their music unless the deal was agreed on. (A similar deal exists for blank audio CD-R manufacturers, who pay fees to the RIAA for every audio CD-R sold in the U.S.)

* In December 2006 Roughly Drafted Magazine reported that Microsoft has resorted to an astroturfing campaign to promote the Zune device, in which supposedly-independent Zune fan sites were actually created prior to the announcement of the product.

:eek: The Zune SUCKS OUT LOUD!

10. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. imacintel macrumors 68000

Plus, it isn't compatigble with Mac OS X AT ALL. Unless you want to use a PC just for your music, don't go and buy a Zune.

12. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

* Microsoft has entered into a deal with Universal Music Group whereby UMG will receive $1 per Zune sold, paid by Microsoft. UMG’s stance is that digital audio players are "just repositories for stolen music" and hardware manufacturers like Microsoft and Apple Computer should compensate record companies for lost revenue; UMG refused to allow Microsoft to stock their music unless the deal was agreed on. (A similar deal exists for blank audio CD-R manufacturers, who pay fees to the RIAA for every audio CD-R sold in the U.S.)

Probably should have bumped the price up if you know what a mean:D

13. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Clearly you haven't seen any sales figures for scion cars. They are currently the fourth hottest selling car in the market, it can take 6+ weeks to get one, and all three models were in the top ten consumer reports for retaining their resale value.

I own one, and it kicks the a$$ of any car in the $14000 price range, hands down, in terms of standard features and value for the dollar.

Do some homework before you bash. The scions are great cars- ask ANYONE who owns one.

Scion's advertising has turned them into one of the hottest car brands on the market today. I'd say they are indeed trying to sell the product they make- and they're doing a damn good job of it.

14. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

I do personally like Scions..particularly the tC. But.

Best Selling Vehicles for the first nine months of 2006.
    1. Ford F-Series
    2. Chevrolet Silverado
    3. Toyota Camry
    4. Honda Accord
    5. Dodge Ram
    6. Honda Civic
    7. Chevrolet Impala
    8. Toyota Corolla
    9. Chevrolet Cobalt
    10. Nissan Altima

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4023925

Now it would seem to me that in order for Scion to be the 4th best selling car brand it would somehow have to have one of the top selling models of cars..and it doesn't. So there are 251,543 Civics sold in the first 9 months of 2006 and there were just over 151,000 Scions sold in the first 255 days of 2006. -http://spyphotos.autoblog.com/2006/11/12/scion-promises-fewer-sales-in-2007/

Toyota's youth-oriented brand, Scion, saw its U.S. sales drop 8.5 overall. -Dec. 1, 2006
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061201/UPDATE/612010432

Also, only 2 Scion models were on the consumer reports top 10 resale rankings. The xA and the xB. I would guess that though, they are basically Toyotas.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...x=1&resultIndex=1&searchTerm=car resale value

Don't lecture others on doing their research when you clearly haven't either.

15. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Why are we talking about cars? This is clearly a Zune flaming thread :D

16. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

clearly you missed my point. Scion was created to advertise to the young crowd. If they sell cars or not dosen't matter. the point is that it is a tool to understand marketing, profit is a bonus. With zune, they repackaged a gigabeat and exparimented with strange advertising (comming zune). Do they want to sell zunes? or are they just trying to figure out what sells to the xbox live crowd?

And bashing, what the f*** are you talking about?

you only proved my point of advertising. do you own a zune too :D

17. polevault139 macrumors 6502

I went to CompUSA today and saw a Zune on display and this is what I thought:

I picked it up and it felt really breakable. It felt really cheap

The screen looks alright... until I looked at one of the preloaded movies. It looked grainy and I don't know how else to put it, but it looked like crap.

The menu and the way you got around was especially confusing, maybe because I'm so used to my iPod but it still seemed like there were way too many unnecessary steps to take.

There wasn't another Zune on display so I couldn't try out the WiFi

So my opinion is that if you want to give the Zune as a gift you better buy a box of Kleenex for them

18. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Here is the current list for top selling cars in the US based on DEMAND as of sept. 1:
    10 - Lexus IS
    09 - Lexus ES
    08 - Scion tC
    07 - Scion xA
    06 - Toyota FJ
    05 - Honda Civic
    04 - Volvo C70
    03 - Toyota Yaris
    02 - Toyota Prius
    01 - Saturn Sky (averaging only five days on the dealer lot)

Overall that puts toyota as a whole entity first as the fastest selling car brand but if you split it up, toyota is first, then honda, then lexus, then scion, thus, it is the fourth hottest selling car brand.

The low sales FIGURES are sort of the point. Scions are limited production cars. You can't just walk onto a lot and have a selection waiting for you. That figure is relatively irrelevant because they sold almost every car they made for those 9 months, but there are civics sitting on lots everywhere. You can't count these by numbers, which is why they're rated for selling time. No limited production brand will stand in the overall best sales figures because there aren't enough of them to compete with selling a billion generic hondas.

Let's see how Scion is doing:
    The xB was named most satisfactory compact car by MSNAutos (http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4020111)

Both the xA and xB were put on the list for cars that retain resale value the best (http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4024366)

Scion xB won Best overall value for a wagon (http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4018610)

Both the xA and tC were among the top rated in initial quality by JD Power for 2006 (http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4020143)

The xA was named in the top 30 environmentally friendly vehicles by JD Power for 2006 (http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4024230)

The "Most Loved New Car" for the sporty compact category was the Scion tC.

My list was different than yours...doesn't mean it was incorrect information.

19. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I thought that the Mini Cooper was the best car in history?

20. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

EDIT: CRAP. Didn't realize this was a dead thread. Apologies for the bump, ignore and let it die.
    ---

And this is why I laugh out loud when customers ask about the Zune :D
    Okay, slight exagguration, but if people ask me which I prefer I tell them outright and list all the reasons posted above.

I think my CompUSA has sold a total of two? I asked someone else how many Zune's we've sold, and he said he's never seen one go.

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, I'd let this die for you, but since I was just thinking about a very related topic I wanted to share it... I was in Meijer the other day (that's like a Super Walmart in the midwest/Great Lakes area) and they sell iPods and Zunes there. The Zune had a demo kiosk with one working and one fake Zune but the iPod had nothing. There's a rack of accessories, but all the iPods are in their boxes in a glass case. I really wanted to play with an iPod video before I ordered one (no Apple store near me) but all they had was the Zune. I was really bummed... I very much wanted to see the video in action to get an idea how the quality was. (For the record, I bought a 5G iPod on blind faith that it wouldn't suck - never actually held or used one, just seen pictures and non-touchable display units).

Also, after playing with the Zune for a minute I can safely say that, imo, it's crap. The screen is washed out and grainy looking. The navigation button/"wheel" is awful - my first instinct was to pick it up and scroll the little wheel, which of course didn't work. Had to click around and it was just an uncomfortable experience. The menu system was not very intuitive, and it didn't feel like a quality device. Very plasticy, like a Fischer Price iPod. Just completely unimpressed with it. The screen, the overall feel, the design, the software, all of it was just unimpressive. I remember using an iPod the first time and thinking "this is really cool" and bing impressed with the feel of the hardware. Just didn't get that at all with the Zune.

Ok, now this thread can die. :p