Zune ahead of iPod on Amazon Bestseller list

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 21, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
    Link: Zune ahead of iPod on Amazon Bestseller list
    Description:: For the first time a Zune (brown, 30 GB) is ahead of all iPod models on the Amazon.com electronics bestseller list heading into the holiday season. The brown model? You've got to be kidding!

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Brown is the new black isn't it?
    Fact is the number of windows users exceeds the number of mac users and while the ipod is stylish you cannot really argue with some of the great features with the zune. However, Zune as far as I know does not work with mac. If it did, I would consider buying one.

3. macrumors G3

bigandy

how many zunes are microsoft buying off amazon then?

;)

4. macrumors member

The secret is very simple: for some time they offered the brown zune for $90.

5. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The fact that "Kindle" is #2 is more surprising.

6. macrumors member

Doesn't mean a whole lot since two iPods are directly beneath the Zune. And there are like 3 or 4 more iPods below that before another Zune shows up.

7. macrumors regular

Typo by some Amazon editor or sick joke? I think the latter.

8. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

The 30GB Zune @$99 might have something to do with it - down from $199
    The 4GB iPod is $134.99

9. macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i still don't see how you can buy a zune at any money.........

10. macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

I think this is good news. Apple needs competition. We can't have them resting on their laurels, because then we as the customers lose.

11. macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Scan the top 20 and some interesting things emerge:

1. Kindle - $399 (wtf? who is buying this?)
    4. Zune 1G 30GB brown - $100
    5. iPod nano 3G 4GB silver - $135
    6. iPod nano 3G 8GB black - $180
    9. iPod classic 80GB black - $237
    16. iPod touch 16GB - $390
    17. iPod nano 3G 8GB blue - $180
    18. Zune 1G 30GB black - $140

I think it's pretty obvious that the price slash on the 1st-gen Zune turd has inspired lots of Windows-using bargain-hunters to whip out their credit cards to pick up some stocking stuffers for kids who are in all likelihood going to look at the things like they are lumps of coal. The impressive thing is that the iPod touch is outselling the black Zune 1G despite having half the storage and being nearly triple the cost. To say nothing of the various nanos moving very well.

12. macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Stocking stuffer STOCKING STUFFER what the ...... I used to get candy canes. Anyway I want a recount.

13. macrumors member

i think this may also have something to do with the now expanded range of ipods. in the past the ipod nano would always be at the top because most people who want that kind of storrage or price had to go for a nano. now however there are also ipod touches in that range taking away the top buyers and leaving those with limited funds to go for the nano. so this has to be more to do with the split customer base than the popularity of the brown squirter

14. macrumors regular

I got (and get) underwear and socks. Even candy canes beat that.

15. macrumors 604

gkarris

Already at the stores the Zune 30, 4, and 8, are getting discounted...

Maybe it'll drive the iPod prices down.

GO ZUNE!!!

16. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well no wonder it's outselling the iPod! It's only $100!

Anyway, I'm quite glad the Zune doesn't work with Mac OS X. If it did, Microsoft would have to begin developing Windows Media for Mac again which would in turn allow .wmv and .wma files with DRM to be played on Macs and then DRM would never die.

17. macrumors regular

On the other hand, Apple took away one iPod nano size and one iPod shuffle colour. If you count the number of different SKUs, it's still 15 items like last year, including the iPod touch (the red iPod shuffles, U2 iPod and iPhone are not included in my count, because they're not available on Amazon).

I think it's most likely that the Zune at $99 really is seen as bargain. I would never buy this. As the old saying goes: Buy cheap, buy twice.

18. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Fry's is also advertising the original model Zune, 30 GB, brown only for $99. One per customer, limited quantities. This does not reflect great demand for brown Zunes. It reflects a warehouse full of brown Zunes that Microsoft could not move at the full price.

19. macrumors 6502a

Clearly people are buying brown Zune's at half-price as collector's items.

They are the 2000's version of the Edsel. Or New Coke. These are all some of the most embarrassing examples of stupidity by America's most prominent corporations.

The brown Zune causes such a WTF reaction that having on on your mantle will trigger giggles of delight for many decades to come.

What is the brown Zune's killer feature it has over the iPod? Point-and-laugh!

20. macrumors newbie

Complacency

I actually originally submitted this link. The reason was to point out so people wouldn't forget just what a grueling marathon it is competing with Microsoft. In the past Apple Computer, Netscape, Palm, Playstation - all market leaders often with over 90% of marketshare all virtually marginalized by Microsoft's ability to keep pouring money and leverage Windows into an area until erosion occurs and the dam breaks. Apple's iPhone and Touch are cool and new and push things but they need to compete more on price if they're going to prevent this slow chipping away from happening... everyone laughed at Internet Explorer 1.0 when it came out too. This, I believe is why Apple has kept the iTunes - iPod ecosystem closed - not so much as monopoly but to avoid letting MS get in as a Trojan horse offering compatibility (then eventually removing it like Java from a browser).:eek:

21. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

There's certainly some truth in what you say, but I think in the case of the brown Zune (sounds like the title of a story by A. Conan Doyle), it's more a matter of Microsoft being faced with the choice of dumping them on the market for cheap or grinding them up as scrap. Nobody doubts that Microsoft will continue to throw money at the Zune, and by virtue of it even gain some market share. But the history of this company strongly suggests that without an existing monopoly to leverage to sell a new product, Microsoft tends to flop around like a fish on dry land.

22. macrumors 6502a

Passante

Spoken like a newbie poster....:p

23. macrumors 6502

RossoA

Funny, the Amazon Kindle is no 1.

I think there is some bias in the Amazon bestsellers list...

24. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

They're practically giving these things away, it's not surprising that they are high on the best seller list. And, from a specifications standpoint, they're the best deal in media players right now. Of course, we all know that specifications mean jack all and there are going to be some very disappointed people trying to find random folks with whom to share their music.

25. macrumors 603

solvs

The Zune is back to $160 (still much cheaper than when it originally came out) and the 4Gb iPod (slightly discounted at $138) is back to the number 2 slot.

I'm thinking Apple isn't too worried. ;)