Zune hacked

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Macnoviz, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

bad news: one of the "killer" -ahum...ahum- features of the Zune could really become a killer feature.
    With ordinary kitchen-and-garden computing you are able to send any file wirelesly. It still involves some work, but the possibility is there.
    The hack can also be fixed by M$, so no panic yet. Maybe this could even have a positive effect. If it becomes known that the Zune can be hacked to transfer anything else than DRM'ed down music and photos, they will automatically know that the Zune can ONLY transfer those out of the box.

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I doubt I would go through the trouble of renaming my .mp3 files so I can give away my songs for free. Too much work on my end. But then again, Zune users are probably your typical Windows user, so they are used to putting in the extra effort.

3. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

ill swap over to zune if i can transfer whatever i want

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Boring

Does anyone here care about this -ehm device?

Send this thread to zunerumors ;) or to the wasteland :mad:

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Oh my, the Zune is worse than I thought.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D Let me wipe some of the irony off my lip.

I think the Wi-Fi transfer feature was *the* innovative thing about Zune, and really is a neat concept. And it came from MS first, even though it is Apple that has invested so heavily in ad-hoc networking technology (Bonjour). But first reviewers started complaining about the way the DRM xfers work (three day limit, playcount limit, etc), and now MS is going to get criticism also for the security loopholes... and the one good feature is going to go down in flames. :(

I do hope Apple makes their own take on this feature at some point, but does it right.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u are lack of PC knowledge.
    "being hack" is M$'s tradition, and sometimes good, sometimes bad, hacking into system is bad, but this hack is apparently good, M$ can now push Zune with better functionality, while not to worry about copyright law. Just like M$ allow the piracy of their OS in order to occupy the market.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sure but only geeks will use it, like how the iPod has more features with Rockbox or iPod Linux.
    I think it's ignorance, I have been quite interested in the Zune and read a lot of tech sites and I didn't know about the fact that they had to be DRM'd to share until today, many people won't know that you can't share their mp3s from P2P.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I think you get wrong info, MS said Zune will not add DRM to user's own music (not bought from Zune MP)
    about Geeks, remember how MS windows spreading around the world?

update, i think u were right, i can't find the article i read before, so can't argue with u on this, however, there is work around.... http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/how-to-bypass-the-zunes-wifi-sharing-drm-217042.php

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Unless I am missing something, at the moment the Zune ONLY allows transfer of DRM'd tracks wirelessly so the users own tracks cannot be transferred wirelessly. Without this hack of course.

I assumed all music would be transferable even if not DRM'd, that means the wireless thing is pretty rubbish IMO. Also some DRM'd music cannot be transferred wirelessly (see the Arstechnica Zune Review) and that it was up to the exact MS got with the record label.

EDIT: I have to admit I am pretty confused as to what the Zune can actually do.

11. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I'm pretty sure that it can only transfer most music bought on the Zune marketplace (some of it can't), and photos (hence the .jpeg hack). everything else: videos, non ZM music, or anything else (calender events if it had a calendar,...) cannot be sent wirelessly

12. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

It seems that if you have to go through all that effort just to wirelessly share anything, you'd be better off just sending the file to your friends over the computer. Besides, with so few Zunes out, it's not like you'd have anyone else to share it with yet. :rolleyes:

13. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

here are what Zune wifi feature disadvantage.

1. can't sharing files with your PC or mac(?)

2. if the distance is more than 10 feet, it can't catch other zune, gets error.

3. listening 3 songs or in three days mean if you listen to music to the end. for 10 seconds preview, it's already counted one.

4. if zune hack could allow users to commuicate with their PCs, hackers will create zune viruses. so when you share files, viruses will spread to yours, and another zune.

5. if zune will be multi media player like others, it will lose identity easily. as throughout MS history, they like to add a lot of features. none of them are successful yet or already failed.

6. MS already thinks about Zune phone now. but it's funny. why don't they try to fix zune problem or prepare for better image or marketing rather than developing freaking zune poophone.

too many things they've thought so far. but the result is not clear as much as they think or hipnotized as if their products are going well.

14. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Not true. A play counts as more than one minute, or more than half the song, whichever comes first.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Quick, someone get a trademark on this name! :D

16. Macnoviz thread starter macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Do you have a source?
    I read it didn't matter how long you played the song.

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, it does has some advantage over non Wi-Fi products does it? like ur photos

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's hard to call Windows Mobile a broad failure. It has pretty much marginalized Palm in the handheld market, and its inroads into phones, although not decisive yet, seem on the uptick.

For that matter, Internet Explorer is awful...god awful. But it did succeed in gaining a huge marketshare and has yet to be completely dislodged....

19. Maccus Aurelius macrumors 6502a

Maccus Aurelius

Well so long as the Zune's WiFi is neutered under these restrictions, it's not even worth forking the dough over, and simply having the gadget isn't satisfying for the normal user because there's so little freedom. The fact that I wouldn't be able to share my own music, even if i wrote and performed it myself is complete bulls#@! if you ask me. The 3x3 rule is complete garbage. I don't care how anyone tries to slice it or shed some positive light on it...it sucks..plain and simple. One should be able to share permanent songs with a limited number of people, with the transferred copy being locked as a non-transferable that way there wont be an epidemic of freebies. This "social" stuff is kind of like indian giving. The zune is actually a pretty good player, but these little nagging things really wipe the luster off of it.

20. Maccus Aurelius macrumors 6502a

Maccus Aurelius

But isn't Win Mobile just the software, and the hardware is not actually affiliated with MS, thus another one of MS's OEM sales?