Zunes Start Fails Badly

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Brayden87, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Brayden87 macrumors member

Nov 11, 2006
    Zune has done nothing on the market and you gotta think why they even try with their junk.

I found this in an article below:
    "Sadly for Microsoft, Zune's launch was somewhat of an embarassment. Reportedly, Apple's iPod USB charger is outselling Zune."

That is the funniest thing i have heard all day.

This is the full article:

Microsoft talked the big talk leading up to the release of it's "iPod killer" digital media player, Zune. The Redmond giant was not content in partnering with various digital music player vendors, providing various pieces of their respective digital music player pies. They wanted to snatch Apple's crown and go after the iPod, and thus was born Zune.

Sadly for Microsoft, Zune's launch was somewhat of an embarassment. Reportedly, Apple's iPod USB charger is outselling Zune.

A recent NBC11 report indicates that things haven't gotten any better in Microsoft's latest attempt to match Apple. Shoppers are virtually ignoring the Zune. Analyst Rob Enderle of the Enderle Group suggests the unit's styling (or lack there of) may be contributing to its abysmal sales.

"Microsoft came to the conclusion after market research that the new hot color is brown," Enderle said. "No other hardware company has come to that conclusion."

Whatever the reasons, it seems that it will be a cold winter for Microsoft.

"At the end of the day, particularly this time of year, putting the sparkle in the recipient's eye is the goal of the gift. The iPod will do that, and the Zune won't," Enderle said.

It may be too soon to bury the Zune, but the patient is barely breathing.

Reference: Ipodhacks.com

LOL no one wants a Zune ad:

Another Vid:

Wtf why would you want something that you can't even use WIFI for really, 3 plays and then you must buy. omg thats a rip.
  2. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2003
    you wish
    Report back in 1-2 months. It´s early days.

I´m no fan, I´m not saying it will be popular… But please just let it be, the more it´s made fun out of, the more attention it gets. Hush, and it will go away.
  3. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    better than nothin, since it doesnt charge extra $$ for Wi-Fi anyway.
  4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    That CNN report is pretty funny. Is Apple paying CNN to advertise for them.
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    True, we should give the Zune some more time before we pass judgement on it (although I suspect it will be more of the same :p). :)

I know, I thought that report was great. :D :)
  6. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! :rolleyes:
  7. Rojo macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2006
    I went to a movie last night and there was a Zune ad in front of it. During it, a couple behind me was saying:
    MAN: "I heard about that thing -- supposed to be terrible"
    WOMAN: "I hate how they're trying to be so 'hip' with this ad. It's so lame!"
    MAN: "You can send songs to your friends with it."
    WOMAN: "Really? Well that's kind of cool."
    MAN: "Not if no one's buying it! It comes in brown. BROWN!"
    WOMAN: "Poo brown?"
    MAN: "Like the turd I left for you this morning brown."
    WOMAN: "Ugh!"

That conversation was waaaaaaay funnier than the actual movie (FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION, which disappointed me. But thank goodness I was there for the Zune ad). ;)
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

That was great Rojo. I would have bursted out laughing if I would have overhead that conversation. :D :)
  9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    Normally I would agree however I remember the PSP was a bit of a flop, and it's still selling way less than Sony anticipated.

This Christmas Santa is giving all the bad kids Zunes instead of coal.... that will learn 'em.
  10. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2006
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the WiFi that is enabled on the Zune only works for sharing songs Zune to Zune... not for syncing to your computer or connecting to the internet.
  11. archurban macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    what news says that zune is 7% of market now. but this number is eaten by people who never own ipod or other mp3player. soon they will find out how it will be ugly, return it, and buy ipod.:)

by the way, it is so much snow this morning. unfortunately my plane is cancel. I have to find out the way I should-_-
  12. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    That is correct. The WiFi capabilities of the Zune currently extend only to sharing songs/photos between other Zunes. You cannot do anything else wirelessly.
  13. KipCoon macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2000
    Anything that can kill an OS after installation is just bad news, especially when its made by the people who made the OS :D
  14. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005
    Best advice I have heard all day.
  15. gloss macrumors 601

May 9, 2006
    By the by, the Zune is still second-place in sales, which means it's eclipsed the rest of the market BUT the iPod. That still puts it in a prime position to take away market share over the next few years.
  16. Edge100 macrumors 68000

May 14, 2002
    Where am I???
    This reminded me of a very famous Canadian children's book called "The Hockey Sweater" where a young boy from Quebec (primarily french speaking province, for all the non-Canadians out there) desperately wants a Montreal Canadiens jersey (with the #9 of 'Rocket' Richard). His mother writes to 'Mr. Eaton' (Eatons was a huge Canadian department store until its bankruptcy several years ago) to ask him to send one to her before Christmas. Instead, he sends the jersey of the Toronto Maple Leafs (the hated rivals of the Canadiens), and the boy is crushed. He wears it to play hockey with his friends and is tormented and embarassed, eventually gets in a fight, and is told by the referee to go to church to ask God for forgiveness.

I'm seeing the Zune vs. iPod thing as the modern equivalent.

"But mom, I wanted a Nano!!!!!! I HATE you!!!"

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Microsoft Fan Base

I think the Microsoft fan base is probably around 3% of the Windows market. They like Microsoft as much as Mac owners like Apple. Those are the people that are buying the zune. All the people in the middle are just normal people that get whatever is the most popular or largest marketshare.