Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 14 Pro Max will feature 20 percent smaller bezels around the display, according to newly shared CAD renders.

iphone-14-pro-max-bezels-render.jpg

The CAD renders, shared by the Twitter account "ShrimpApplePro," show a design for the iPhone 14 Pro Max that is broadly in line with other illustrations and measurements from 91Mobiles and Max Weinbach. Much like these previous renders, the most noticeable changes include a centered pill and hole-punch shaped front-facing TrueDepth camera array in place of the notch and a larger rear camera bump, but otherwise the design seems to be very similar to the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro. The renders are accompanied by a range of specific measurements for different aspects of the device.

The iPhone 14 Pro Max's bezels will reportedly be 1.95mm thick, a moderate reduction compared to the iPhone 13 Pro Max's 2.42mm bezels. One reason for the reduced bezels could be to make more space between the top bezel of the device and the top of the new pill and hole-punch cutouts. With these reduced bezels, the top of the cutouts will purportedly sit 2.29mm below the top bezel of the display.

The extent to which the reduced bezels will have a noticeable effect on the front of the device is questionable. Last year, users debated whether there was a difference between the sizes of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13's bezels, and it seems plausible that Apple could slightly change the thickness of its bezels even on devices that ostensibly have the same display sizes.

Nevertheless, a 20 percent reduction on the iPhone 14 Pro Max is likely to be more noticeable than any change between the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 models, but it is worth noting that these measurements do not include the 1.15mm thickness of the stainless steel frame that sits around the display, which could make the change look less drastic. The reduced bezels are likely also too small to change Apple's marketed 6.7-inch screen size, even if the actual display area is larger in reality.

Update: This article originally referred to a tweet from Quinn Nelson that suggested the iPhone 13's bezels were slightly larger than those of the iPhone 12. It compared an iPhone 12 mini to an iPhone 13 Pro and was not a like-for-like comparison, so was corrected by Nelson at the time, and the erroneous reference to it has been removed.

Article Link: iPhone 14 Pro Max Rumored to Feature 20% Thinner Display Bezels

Last edited:

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
I’m sure folks won’t like me saying this, but I don’t think they should be thinner. They’re already thin enough, otherwise I feel like I’m gonna erroneously and accidentally press things even more on the display than I already do.
I think it’s fine. Because the super majority of us will just add another level of plastic bezels around the phone anyway.

I’m looking at my phone as I’m typing and noticing how thick the shell is and it’s basically a second bezel.

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
I’m happy with the size of the bezels on the 13, and the notch for that matter.
What I’m unhappy with is the comically huge camera bump and the 14 seems set to make that problem even worse

Here’s hoping these rumors are wrong and the previously rumored periscope camera is making its way into the 14
Hell, I’ll even take a big chunky iPhone instead, anything to avoid these multi level camera bumps

Dredd67

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
20% looks like a large number, but come on, we're talking about half a millimeter.
I guess anything's good, but I couldn't care less about that.

What about useful software features instead ? Using the apple pen for instance, getting a consistant landscape mode, having the same export targets for all the apps (why the heck can't I pick up files from the gmail app and only photos, but I can export files to gmail from the dropbox app ? This is so inconsistent it's driving me nuts).

And about hardware we could have simple things like a usb-c port, a functional radio (I don't have a 5G model yet, maybe it's fixed but living near a border the whole cellular stack is a mess), or a bluetooth stack not dropping connection or switching devices like crazy when the airpods are nearby.

But yes, go on and work to slim on the bezels to add an additional 100 bucks to the price.

I'm too entangled in the Apple ecosystem to quit, and I'm still satisfied to an extent, but I wonder more and more about the direction they take after the lackluster studio screen, the latest SE, etc... The macbooks and the mac studio are OK though. There seem to be a real struggle of ideas in this company.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Glad to see that the punchout holes are more aligned to the centre of the phone with this render. The others were giving me OCD.

• Haha
Reactions: iLLUMI

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Guys , if those are CAD, its clear the bezels are the same...probably an twitter account that seek some audience

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Reduced bezel size is a good thing, but lighter and thinner should be current goal; unfortunately, Apple appears to be headed in the opposite direction. I will likely purchase the iPhone 14 Pro Max for the screen size, but dread carrying it around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.