Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
Hi there,

I got brand new iPhone and I noticed that when the phone wakes up, horizontal lines flash on the screen. It doesn't happen everytime, just randomly. But (I feel) it occurs more often when your screen turns off itself (by time limit (after inacitivity)).

I don't remember I saw those lines before iOS 16.2 but I have that phone just for 2 weeks. I visited a reddit forum and 5 people said they have the same problem which means (hopefully) it should not be a hardware issue. But I need to know more... Perhaps you could try it too.

Any solutions?

31bcfbbb-32e1-4a09-ac8e-0a0ff3f40996

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
I’ve never seen that on mine. I’d request a replacement.
And do you have AOD turned on? Since it's only visible when you wake your phone up from clear black screen (AOD off). And yet it happens randomly.

It's hard to believe it's hardware problem when there is more of us... Btw, I would like to get it replaced but I can return it within 14 days and I already exceeded that time... So I can only get it repaired now. Just in case there is something to be repaired...

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I had this for a short time on my Watch Series 6 earlier this fall—seems to have abated for now. Hopefully this watch can make it until the Series 9 sees release.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
I’ve had that on an older iPhone when the screen went bad. A replacement screen fixed it.
Did it happen when u woke up the screen? I read that green line could mean failing screen but those lines meaning failing screen happen constantly. Even when screen is on and you wanna work on that phone... My (or ours) problem happens just after waking up.

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
I have theory. Since many people use Always screen on, they can't experience this "bug". Including me. Only when I turned it off I noticed these flashing lines.

I am not sure how often I've seen them before iOS 16.2. Probably not as much as I would have started to deal with it sooner. But I am sure since 16.2 it happens much more often that you can't miss it or ignore it.

So what if 16.2 adjusted Always screen on but broke Always screen off? It's just theory. I'am trying to figure out what is going on with such an expensive device.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
And do you have AOD turned on? Since it's only visible when you wake your phone up from clear black screen (AOD off). And yet it happens randomly.

It's hard to believe it's hardware problem when there is more of us... Btw, I would like to get it replaced but I can return it within 14 days and I already exceeded that time... So I can only get it repaired now. Just in case there is something to be repaired...
Yes, Always On Display is on. I would at least run it by Apple to see if it’s software or worthy of a replacement

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
Yes, Always On Display is on. I would at least run it by Apple to see if it’s software or worthy of a replacement

Well you need to turn AOD off and then look. It won't happen with AOD on.
-----------------

Here is the story of one person that is experiencing the same problem that I am in touch with:

„I went already to Apple, and they reset my phone through their computer cos they said resetting it through the computer is different than resetting through the phone. The lines still occur still after that.

I’ve done pretty much all troubleshoot steps at this point. In my theory it’s either 1 of 2 things. It’s either a software issue or it’s defective."

mistercoffee1

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2020
CA, USA
I’ve never seen those lines on any iOS 16 version, and I don’t use AOD.
I only turned on AOD for a day only, but either way I don’t see those lines. Not normal, and I doubt something that software can fix. Good luck.

S7N

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2022
That’s usually a sign there is an issue with the connection/cable from the screen to the motherboard.

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
The apple's technician told me that it was a software issue. That if it was hardware, the lines would stay on the screen (and they just flash after waking the phone up). I don't know if it can damage the screen or not.

All tests passed fine so I don't know what to do. And still, there is more of us. So do we have sensitive eyes or are we victims of bad batch of phones that were manufactured?

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
Well guys, as a proof here are links to threads of people who are experiencing the same issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254472148 (Horizontal Lines Across Screen When Phone Wakes Up)
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254451038 (White Horizontal Lines On The Screen Before Unlocked)
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/zn8ktd (Screen Flickers When Waking Up)
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254473905 (Screen Flickering On Waking Up)
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/zlswzc (Main Reddit Forum with this issue)
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/znk2et (Screen Wake Up Issue)
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254428567 (Horizontal green line on a iPhone)
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...es-across-screen-when-phone-wakes-up.2373974/ (Macforum topic)

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
Haven’t seen it (or noticed it) on my launch day pro max.
Well so we are fu*ked. There is nothing we can do now. If some people have this problem and most don't, it could mean we are victims of bad batch.

Last edited:

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
If you have apple care and can show the symptoms to a genius you could get a replacement phone.
Well here in the middle of Europe we don't have Apple care. We don't even have official Apple Stores here.

The way it works here is that you make order and within 2 weeks you can return it or ask for a replacement. Once this time pases the phone is official yours but you have 2 year warranty. So if there is a problem, you can get it repaired.

Reactions: I7guy

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Well you need to turn AOD off and then look. It won't happen with AOD on.
-----------------

Here is the story of one person that is experiencing the same problem that I am in touch with:

„I went already to Apple, and they reset my phone through their computer cos they said resetting it through the computer is different than resetting through the phone. The lines still occur still after that.

I’ve done pretty much all troubleshoot steps at this point. In my theory it’s either 1 of 2 things. It’s either a software issue or it’s defective."
I misunderstood. I’ll turn AOD off and keep an eye on it.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Well here in the middle of Europe we don't have Apple care. We don't even have official Apple Stores here.

The way it works here is that you make order and within 2 weeks you can return it or ask for a replacement. Once this time pases the phone is official yours but you have 2 year warranty. So if there is a problem, you can get it repaired.
I would think they would just replace it under warranty?

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
I would think they would just replace it under warranty?

They can still refuse to replace it when they find no problem.

I'm trying to figure out if it's software or hardware issue. If I were alone I would not hesitate but there is a few people complaining about the same problem.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
They can still refuse to replace it when they find no problem.

I'm trying to figure out if it's software or hardware issue. If I were alone I would not hesitate but there is a few people complaining about the same problem.
Other than the issue going away after a software update, I’m not sure how you determine whether it’s a hardware or software issue.

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
Would turning on AOD hide the issue? Are you opposed to AOD?
I actually turned AOD to avoid that flickering screen when you wake your phone up... AOD resolves the problem as long as it doesn't get completely dark (at night for example display turns off).

E: Or when you put your phone to the pocket. It also turns display off. So when you pull it out it actually can make these lines again.

Reactions: fatTribble

Infernoqt

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2022
Last edited:
Reactions: fatTribble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.