Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BngOfaBtflRlshp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Bought the 32gb that I had reserved. Spent 4 hours with it... I'm at 58% battery. Nice. Heavy usage.

It seems, it's bigger than it should be, imo.

Looking at it, it seems they tappered the edges to make it seem thinner, because the middle is where the batteries/guts are. OBVIOUSLY, the middle portion of the iPad is the thickest, so instead of cutting it off closer to the middle (which would make it smaller but thicker at the edges) looks lke they extended it out more to tapper it off. Which they (apple) think its great, because it makes it

1. Appear thinner
2. Nicer to grip in hand
3. Adds the infamous thick bezel, to add "room/support for thumbs/palm grip"

Yeah.. thats why that big bezel is there. Its for thumbs. I'm on to you, Mr iPad designers :) but seriously, it's a notch too big. After 10-20 mins max, Holding it with one hand, and navigating the touch screen with the other, you start switching hands. It's a little on the heavier side. Wish it was lighter.

Sure when you pick it up, holding it with two hands, it has that hefty quality weight to it. But it gets tiresome.

I'm a iPad fan, I couldn't wait to get it. Counted the days to april since keynote... But it's a little disappointing size/weight wise. When I pick it up, I don't have that "it's a compact badass Ultra portable big touchscreen" feeling. It's a, "man, wish they trimmed the fat.. quarter inch on all sides." Feeling.

I love the 9.7" touch screen though. screens big and sharp. iPad Apps showing it's going to have crazy potential. And it's really fast. Speaker has some thump to it too!!

Only negative, if i can say one, it's starting to feel like a chore holding it...

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Regardless of other reasons for making it bigger, the big bezel really is so you can hold it. If it didn't have a bezel of that size, you would accidentally touch the screen when you don't mean to. You could avoid that by holding it very carefully in certain ways, and it would be more difficult to use.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
oh dear God, here we go. some people will be complaining about how big and heavy the iPad is. and then some people will complain because how small the iPad's screen is after listening to the complainers who said the unit was too big.

so the verdict is, Apple can't win either way.

Logos327

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I really like the size. I will say that it is heavier than I expected.

Oh and every time I go to answer a text on my iPhone the screen seems SO small after using this for hours :D

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007

Oh and every time I go to answer a text on my iPhone the screen seems SO small after using this for hours :D

That's funny that you say that because i just went to text someone and was thinking the same thing! Amazing seeing how it's only been a few hours

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
I knew this would be a factor

Holding 1.5 pounds with one hand in mid air for any length of time ain't gonna happen

Special stand, lap, knee prop, table, pillow, etc. will be reality

I argued for a 10" MacBook Air 2 years ago

However I am still getting a iPad 3G

BngOfaBtflRlshp

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010

lol yeah it seems a lot smaller. iPad is awesome. Definitely doesn't feel like a ipod touch. More like a hybrid in a way, imo.

I HOPE some people in here can relax and realize, some iPad owners have at least 1 ONE negative feeling towards it.

Oh noez, he haz a con!

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I went to check out a demo unit today, and I was actually amazed at how light and small the thing was. It's the perfect size, but imagined it would be larger/more hefty. I picked it up and it felt like nothing. All this time I'd been reading how everyone who uses it thinks it's heavier than they thoughy. Maybe that's why I was surprised how light it really is. For such a slick, powerful device, the thing has no footprint at all!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I wonder if there's room for another model closer to a Kindle/Newton form factor?

Attachments

• iPadMini.jpg
    iPadMini.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 95

AppleMary

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
I hope Apple makes an iPad Mini. Just imagine how amazing that would be. I love the iPad, but an iPad a quarter of it's size would be absolute killer!

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
I went to check out a demo unit today, and I was actually amazed at how light and small the thing was. It's the perfect size, but imagined it would be larger/more hefty. I picked it up and it felt like nothing. All this time I'd been reading how everyone who uses it thinks it's heavier than they thoughy. Maybe that's why I was surprised how light it really is. For such a slick, powerful device, the thing has no footprint at all!

This is not weightlifting. Of course you can pick it up. If you had difficulty, we'd be calling the old folks home. It's the strain that manifests after holding a weighty object for a long time in the same position. Hold a 1.5 pound object in your left hand for half an hour, come back and tell me how you feel. ;)

AppleMary

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
This is not weightlifting. Of course you can pick it up. If you had difficulty, we'd be calling the old folks home. It's the strain that manifests after holding a weighty object for a long time in the same position. Hold a 1.5 pound object in your left hand for half an hour, come back and tell me how you feel. ;)

I agree and makes me wonder why Apple didn't make the iPad 8 ounces (1/2 lb) :confused:

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I hope Apple makes an iPad Mini. Just imagine how amazing that would be. I love the iPad, but an iPad a quarter of it's size would be absolute killer!

Add some other mobile type features like telephony and GPS and you may just have a winner there...

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
No, that would just make it a big iPhone :p

Well, that's pretty much what the iPad is anyway :p (I'm not complaining at all btw)

I was thinking about something sized halfway between the iPhone and the iPad, maybe a bit closer to the iPad, with a closer to 16:10 screen.

Think of the kindle users who carry around a device closer to the size of a paperback.

BruiserBear

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
It certainly is not light. This just confirms my suspicion all along that this really isn't a great portable device. I can't imagine wanting to bring this everywhere I go. It's just too big and clunky. iPhone is the answer.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Well, that's pretty much what the iPad is anyway :p (I'm not complaining at all btw)

I was thinking about something sized halfway between the iPhone and the iPad, maybe a bit closer to the iPad, with a closer to 16:10 screen.

Think of the kindle users who carry around a device closer to the size of a paperback.
Well, who knows what Apple will do in the future. They released multiple sizes of Macs, so they can do the same with the iPad.
And I meant that it than actually would look like a huge iPhone in terms of shape (rectangular, like the iPhone). And I'm not complaining either: an iPhone in giant size - like the iPad - is awesome!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Well, who knows what Apple will do in the future. They released multiple sizes of Macs, so they can do the same with the iPad.
And I meant that it than actually would look like a huge iPhone in terms of shape (rectangular, like the iPhone). And I'm not complaining either: an iPhone in giant size - like the iPad - is awesome!

Just as long as they call it the Newton. ;)

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Steve probably had the designers throw an extra 3oz of weight in there so when they take it out of the v2 they already have a 20% weight reduction to throw up on the slide.

bluehaze013

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
I'm actually wanting a bigger one lol this thing is awesome. If you think it's a chore to hold Might I suggest you start getting some exercise? I've been holding this thing for 6 hours straight and not the slightest bit of fatigue lol I think a version with a 13" screen would be sweet! I hope they come out with bigger ones eventually.

CanonicalKoi

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Where the trilobites roam free.
Bought the 32gb that I had reserved. Spent 4 hours with it... I'm at 58% battery. Nice. Heavy usage.

It seems, it's bigger than it should be, imo.

Fer cryin' out....it weighs 1.5 pounds--24 ounces. The same as 2 cans of Coke. If you'd get pooped holding 2 Cokes in your hand, I'm worried about you. I snipped it for length, but regarding your comment about the bezel, I like it. The screen is extremely responsive; having icons anywhere near where my hand has to be to hold it is asking for unwanted clicks IMO.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I think the size is awesome. It is in fact smaller than I expected. Very ergonomic. I'm totally in love with the thing and can type like a demon on it!

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
oh dear God, here we go. some people will be complaining about how big and heavy the iPad is. and then some people will complain because how small the iPad's screen is after listening to the complainers who said the unit was too big.

so the verdict is, Apple can't win either way.

deal with it! that's what forums are for--the free exchange of ideas--even those you don't give your stamp of approval to. how about some tolerance?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.