Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
This makes me think of those Google fan boys thinking Google is not going after Apple. This is another nail in the coffin between Google and Apple.

Until Google is selling music and tv shows to promote multimedia device sales, I am going to say no. Google, the company that makes profits from web ads, is going to continue to expand new ways to generate revenue from web ads. Last I checked, Apple Inc. was into the whole consumer electronics scene.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
$2 = rip off

Whether streamed or downloaded, $1.99/episode of mediocre television is a rip-off. The TV industry needs to get a clue. Make it cheap and people will pay for it, but at $2+/episode, I'll stick with torrent.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
People like myself who don't have a TV :eek: (more people should try it; it's not as hard is it sounds) wouldn't mind paying a small amount to watch shows on my computer without having to pay for each episode; maybe some sort of a rental season pass. I'm personally not interested in owning individual or entire seasons of TV shows ala the iTunes model. Once I watch it, I'm done.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Whether streamed or downloaded, $1.99/episode of mediocre television is a rip-off. The TV industry needs to get a clue. Make it cheap and people will pay for it, but at $2+/episode, I'll stick with torrent.

Exactly. Except I don't bother with torrernts. But $2 for a show I'll watch once is a rip off.

And I'll never touch this service if the streaming quality is as good as it is on Youtube. My C2D 2.4 Macbook, which is like a 1 1/2 years old, cannot watch HD video on Youtube without stuttering like hell. It is unwatchable. I hate it.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Exactly. Except I don't bother with torrernts. But $2 for a show I'll watch once is a rip off.

And I'll never touch this service if the streaming quality is as good as it is on Youtube. My C2D 2.4 Macbook, which is like a 1 1/2 years old, cannot watch HD video on Youtube without stuttering like hell. It is unwatchable. I hate it.

Agreed, Youtube is a stuttering mess in HD on my MBP.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
These models will not be acceptable to consumers until there is a way to BURN the download onto a DVD for archival and play OFF THE NET.

Until then, there is trusty old Public Library. If they could get their act together, I would drop cable TV, go with ATSC, and supplement with internet downloads. Price has to be better, but I suspect this will happen when more folks come on board.

I dumped cable and use an antenna and get near perfect HD reception. When I miss a show I can *currently* watch it online for free. It seems that might be coming to an end, but I still don't think I'll bring back cable if it does. Now that I've been weaned off the meaningless distraction of junk cable programming I don't need to go back.

I'd become interested if I could get "cable channels" ala carte on the internet. If I want HBO for $14.99 a month then I'd get an HD stream of *just* that network (not just individual shows)--without having to get basic cable or any other package that charges me for content I don't want. Maybe in the future.

SnapMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Or just watch TV on you TV for free, on a bigger screen, in real time, how about that? Anyone?
Ummm...Apple TV "bigger screen" with aTV Flash "TV for free". In my time, much better than "in real time" with the exception of football and baseball post season (still for free and in HD).

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
They're going to have to work on the price if they want this business model to take off. $1.99 for something you watch one time is absurd -- one TV show per day, for $60 every month? No thanks.

I kinda like to watch shows without constant stuttering, so "streaming" doesn't cut it for me.

You need a better internet connection. I stream Netflix without any stuttering at all, even when watching HD content. And you only need ~2 Mbps for SD quality video.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
As someone who gets all their TV from iTunes/Apple TV, I say bring the YouTube streaming on!

I welcome the transition to digital on-demand media!

bobgorila

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
Agreed, Youtube is a stuttering mess in HD on my MBP.

Largely unrelated, but the flash 10.1 beta greatly improves flash's CPU consumption, so if that's the reason your machine's stuttering then it's worth a go.

Likewise the latest clicktoflash will pipe youtube's h.264 stream onto quicktime via HTML5, so your GPU can do the hard work.

MacU

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Totally agree. The first to real A La Carte wins.

I dumped cable and use an antenna and get near perfect HD reception. When I miss a show I can *currently* watch it online for free. It seems that might be coming to an end, but I still don't think I'll bring back cable if it does. Now that I've been weaned off the meaningless distraction of junk cable programming I don't need to go back.

I'd become interested if I could get "cable channels" ala carte on the internet. If I want HBO for $14.99 a month then I'd get an HD stream of *just* that network (not just individual shows)--without having to get basic cable or any other package that charges me for content I don't want. Maybe in the future.

If Apple is smart enough to push the envelope and work with the networks for true ala carte programming, they will eat up the cable market. Make the television channels EARN our money instead of forcing 5K channels down our throat for $100 a month.

willwc

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

My biggest issue with content producers wanting more money for online distribution is the lack of any real work on their end in providing content to online providers (apple, hulu, etc. ) the show was already paid for by advertisers when it aired on TV. they simply provide a digital copy to online providers and collect their percentage.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Streaming still sucks for most users most of the time, except for extremely short videos, you are willing to put up with a bunch of limitations to see. If you want an experience, you want a download, or a deep store-forward stream.

There are no deep store-forward streams. Add that to Quicktime streaming and you might approximate a wideband broadcast experience with a specified 5-30 minute delay to start viewing from initial release. Subscribe to streams.

Store-forward streaming and authorized downloads are the future. Can you hear me now?

The number of people with really good internet is a tiny minority, and they do not have time on their hands to pay for and view streams and downloads.

Time or money, choose one.

Rocketman

Until Google is selling music and tv shows to promote multimedia device sales, I am going to say no. Google, the company that makes profits from web ads, is going to continue to expand new ways to generate revenue from web ads. Last I checked, Apple Inc. was into the whole consumer electronics scene.

Damn right! And what funds most major T.V. channels? Advertising.

Google will be buying the rights to show the World Cup (or Super Bowl or World Series) in the near future and will be selling the advertising space there.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
The number of people with really good internet is a tiny minority, and they do not have time on their hands to pay for and view streams and downloads.

Time or money, choose one.

Rocketman

I am not suggesting this to be the case, but compression is still getting smaller. If you can make the packet small enough, streaming can be an option in the future...

Veeoh

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2009
Interesting comment stats

18 positive
57 negative

Apple fans dont like this it seems...

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Their dream is for you to pay a fee each time you listen to a song or watch a movie or TV program--and even that won't entitle you to ad-free content.

i personally wouldn't pay just for streaming

I've been thinking about this for a wile. Yes, we are used to "own" recorded music or movies in a physical support (even the digital files are somewhere in a physical support), and sometime to re-purchase the same material when a new/superior format appear. The concept of "owning" music and movies is in fact just connected to the distribution of the content through physical media, last century was vinyl, than tapes, than CDs, than DVDs, and now are just bits through internet.

If we think about it, music and movies have value only when we listen or watch them, not when we own the support where they are recorded. So, in my opinion, it's only natural that in time the concept of "owning" recorded materials will go away and in 20 years it will look so last century.

Even today, if I think that I spend around $2,000 a year in recorded music and movies, and I need space for those CDs, LPs, DVDs and hard drives for those files (more money in fact), I will gladly pay a reasonable fee each time I listen to a song or watch a movie. After all, there is a limited number of songs and movies that I can listen to or watch to in a year. But I will gladly give up my illusion of ownership only when the content will be delivered in a reasonable hi-res format, ad-free, temporarily recorded on my device for convenience, and almost limitless choice of content. The recorded content industry in not there yet, but in 10 year?

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
per episode is a stupid idea, itunes tv and movies may be riddled with DRM but at least it is yours to keep, online or not. if it were "per month" like it was discussed before, that's something very different..

tmofee

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Mildura
At least it won't be riddled with Apple's horribly restrictive DRM.

Also - where in the article does it say you can only watch them once? It would be very easy for Google to implement a system where you pay for the episode and can watch it as many times as you like.

the problem is downloading. In the US a lot of you get a pretty decent download quota. over in australia, our net is severly lacking. I'd hate to think i'd have to download a show everytime i'm in the mood to watch it. where you have to watch every GB you download (and i'm one of the semi-lucky ones) you cant have an option like this..

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
The Google Honeymoon

I understand Google's desire to rule the world, but I don't see that it's made much of a splash in anything other than internet search. The internet apps are good, but far from ubiquitous. Trying to leapfrog into play with help from such friends as YouTube and Motorola isn't going to work for them if they want to steal mindshare from Apple.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I wouldn’t be so sure.

Q: I take it then that you are going to advocate taking the DRM off of the videos you sell on iTunes. Any particular [inaudible] you could do that with the Disney company?

A: You know, video, uh... I knew I'd get that question today. Video is pretty different than music right now because the video industry does not distribute 90 percent of their content DRM free; never has, and so I think they are in a pretty different situation and so I wouldn't hold the two in parallel at all.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ns_drm_and_video_ipod_storage_transcript.html
You'd think Steve Jobs would have heard of CDDA. Sure, it's the world's WEAKest DRM and studios've abandoned virtually all worry about it, but it is a Redbook requirement.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I've been thinking about this for a wile. Yes, we are used to "own" recorded music or movies in a physical support (even the digital files are somewhere in a physical support), and sometime to re-purchase the same material when a new/superior format appear. The concept of "owning" music and movies is in fact just connected to the distribution of the content through physical media, last century was vinyl, than tapes, than CDs, than DVDs, and now are just bits through internet.

If we think about it, music and movies have value only when we listen or watch them, not when we own the support where they are recorded. So, in my opinion, it's only natural that in time the concept of "owning" recorded materials will go away and in 20 years it will look so last century.

Even today, if I think that I spend around $2,000 a year in recorded music and movies, and I need space for those CDs, LPs, DVDs and hard drives for those files (more money in fact), I will gladly pay a reasonable fee each time I listen to a song or watch a movie. After all, there is a limited number of songs and movies that I can listen to or watch to in a year. But I will gladly give up my illusion of ownership only when the content will be delivered in a reasonable hi-res format, ad-free, temporarily recorded on my device for convenience, and almost limitless choice of content. The recorded content industry in not there yet, but in 10 year?

How "Stalinish" of you. I hope if Steve asks for somebody's opinion, it's not yours! ;)

sarabella

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I'd pay to watch US television over here, even though I think $2 an episode is too high. Sites like Hulu and The Daily Show block their content in the UK, and I miss the few shows I bothered to watch at home. But it probably won't happen - I can't even get them in iTunes (the current episodes, anyway).

javalizard

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Paid Streaming!?!?

That's freakin' sweet. Being that I gave up TV almost a decade ago it's great to see that Google may be paying customers to watch TV.

Granted I don't know if $1.99 is enough money to get me to start watching TV again. I may set up my computer to "watch" TV for me and just collect the money. I guess they would pay out at the end of the month?

On the flip side of actual reality, why would anyone pay to be brain-washed?

Go back to bed, America. Your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control again. Here. Here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up. Go back to bed, America. Here is American Gladiators. Here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their *&^%ing skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go, America! You are free to do what we tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!

-Bill Hicks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.