Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modernmoments

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get the highest quality VHS to digital format. I know a lot of people recommend Elgato, but the resolution is only marginal. What is the best equipment to buy?

I was thinking maybe a BlackMagic and Grex for transfer. I can do the editing on Final Cut Pro. Any suggestions? I've searched around the forum, but no one's really mentioned getting the highest quality - most are concerned with just the transfer.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I think the quality difference between those converters will be negligible. You're stuck with a 620x480 resolution.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
I dont think the capture hardware will make much of a difference. I think you need to get a "high-end" vhs deck that has component outputs and feed that through a Time Base Corrector (TBC). This will allow for extra control of the signal being sent to the computer. After which you can make additional adjustments with in the editing software.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
One tip if you go with Elgato- check the brightness/contrast in Preferences before recording. It's a pain to start the tape over, but you'll see the difference in quality.

I think the quality difference between those converters will be negligible. You're stuck with a 620x480 resolution.

That's the result, but the tape output is even less: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS#Video_recording

Just make sure the VCR is 4-head, stereo, and at least has s-video (component is probably overkill, but don't use composite).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.