Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I was using my MBP when suddenly the charger light turned off and the entire computer turned off. I tried unplugging and replugging the charger to no avail. I was able to restart my MBP and it was fine. At this point, it was still unplugged from the outlet. Tried plugging it back in to no avail. Grabbed my old MB charger and it worked. What happened? Charger short circuited or something?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The ends of those cables have a habit of fraying inside. I'm guessing that's probably what happened to yours....I try to keep mine straight when I'm using it, but the design makes it hard not to have a bend in it where it connects to the Mac.

Luckily, your mac is okay!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
The ends of those cables have a habit of fraying inside. I'm guessing that's probably what happened to yours....I try to keep mine straight when I'm using it, but the design makes it hard not to have a bend in it where it connects to the Mac.

Luckily, your mac is okay!

That's very likely what happened. I had the same thing happen to countless old MagSafe chargers, but they never caused the computer to shut down. This time was weird. Also, earlier today, the computer stopped recognizing it was plugged in. Time for a new charger under AppleCare?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Any more ideas on what happened? I'd hate to make a trip to the Apple Store and have the charger work when I get there.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not really, you don't want to be using that one again....Can you borrow one you know is good to test that it works on your Mac? Conclusive enough.

TBH I very much doubt they are going to quibble about a charger.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Not really, you don't want to be using that one again....Can you borrow one you know is good to test that it works on your Mac? Conclusive enough.

TBH I very much doubt they are going to quibble about a charger.

I lent my old MacBook to a friend, including my spare charger because her PC is broken. I won't get it back from her until I get the MB back. My whole family has Macs, though. I am borrowing my mom's MacBook charger. This is the worst time for this to happen, because it is midterms week at my school. My mom will share a charger with my brother who has a MBP until the weekend, when I can get mine replaced as I need my MBP for studying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.