Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LukaStellwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Hi there,

I have a MacBook Pro Quad i7 with a 128 GB SSD. I was running into storage problems, so I deleted my WoW folder (22 GB) from the applications folder and emptied the trash. However, my free HD space still shows only 5 GB of free space, even after a reboot. The trash is empty and the WoW folder gone.

What is happening here?

LukaStellwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
OmniDisk Sweeper shows 90 GB used, however Finder tells me I have only 6 GB of free space. If I try to copy some files from my external hd to the ssd, it will tell me I don't have enough free space.

I really don't know what to do... This is getting really annoying as I have to use this machine for work and can't afford a re-install right now as I'm in the middle of a few projects.

Nov 28, 2010
located
OmniDisk Sweeper shows 90 GB used, however Finder tells me I have only 6 GB of free space. If I try to copy some files from my external hd to the ssd, it will tell me I don't have enough free space.

I really don't know what to do... This is getting really annoying as I have to use this machine for work and can't afford a re-install right now as I'm in the middle of a few projects.

Do you use Lion? If so, look at the "What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb" portion of my post.

LukaStellwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Enclosed are a screenshot of Lion's storage overview and a screenshot from OmniDiskSweeper (89 GB used).

I have just disabled local backups by the terminal command, still no change (10 minutes ago).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 12.34.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 12.34.13 PM.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 12.35.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 12.35.12 PM.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 2,404
Nov 28, 2010
located
Enclosed are a screenshot of Lion's storage overview and a screenshot from OmniDiskSweeper (89 GB used).

I have just disabled local backups by the terminal command, still no change (10 minutes ago).

Have you connected your TM HDD yet and made a backup, thus the local backup gets removed automatically?
Or you could delete them manually, instructions are in that thread I linked to.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:

LukaStellwag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the updates everyone. So, I resolved this issue:

My disk was encrypted, so I decrypted it and booted into recovery mode where I ran the disk utility. I repaired the disk and it showed 25 GB free. Now I'm encrypting everything again and my issue is resolved.

Thanks for your support!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

My disk was encrypted, so I decrypted it and booted into recovery mode where I ran the disk utility. I repaired the disk and it showed 25 GB free. Now I'm encrypting everything again and my issue is resolved.
Glad you worked it out, and thanks for posting the resolution! I'm sure it will help others with the same situation.

ryan.1

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
China

Thanks for your support!

Hey, I hope this is not thread reviving or anything.

I have pretty much the same issue on 2 lion machines (macbook air and macbook pro). Am I right to assume that by encryption you the "FileVault" ?

also how would you go to recovery mode? is it by holding alt at the startup?

Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.