Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johann1228

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
I'm just curious what people in recent times (dont ask me to check MRoogle) have on their Macbook Pro to protect it from elements.

I have the moshi keyboard thing, slickwraps black carbonfiber fullbody, incase perforated black hard case. I think i have a little too much... which is why im asking.

Is a skin enough? Or should i use the hard case? Or is both ok? Will this cause heat issues big enough to worry me?

Thanks in advance for any input. Again, i'm looking for updated and new feedback. So no MRoogle replies, please. :)

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Just like Apple made it..

I'm currently using my third MBP.. I got this one in June-11, the first one was Apr-06, the 2nd was Sept-08..

Both previous ones I sold with them 'looking and working quite well' still, to friends.. I have never felt the urge to Wrap It with anything, I just use it and move it carefully..

I don't think I am 'lucky' that it looks good, I am just respectful of my tools, and YES it gets used and moved daily.. Pretty much..

:apple:

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
I also have an Incase Hardshell Perforated case in black on my 15" late 2011 MBP. I use a TwelveSouth Surfacepad to protect the keyboard area from the dreaded "worn" look others often speak of. There has been no increase in heat and after six months my MBP looks like I just unboxed it. If I can figure out how to add a pic to my post I'll update this reply.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My MBP is naked as the day it was born. :)

I've never used any sort of cases and generally speaking the condition of my MBPs have always been pristine. I don't see the need for such, at least because of my usage patterns.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
My laptops are naked except for a thin cloth that goes over the keyboard when it is in clamshell mode to protect the display from oil left on the keyboard by my fingers.

When placed in my backpack, they go in Acme Made Skinny Sleeves. Though when I had ThinkPads they just were tossed in, no sleeve.

This is how I've always taken care of my laptops, never had an issue with damage or marks and I do travel frequently.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I have a Moshi Palm Guard and a Moshi keyboard protector. They keyboard protector is there because it's easier to clean it than to clean the keys themselves. The Palm Guard is there because the oils in my skin left some discoloration where my hands rested on my previous MBP . The only thing on the outside is a decal, and that's only because we have three MBPs in the house. The decal makes it easy to tell which is mine, especially when I'm in a hurry. Personally, I'm not a fan of the wraps or the hard cases. I just have a nice protective bag to put it in when I take it out of the house, and if it ends up with a few dings it's not the end of the world.

AppChat

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
I have a Moshi Palm Guard and a Moshi keyboard protector. They keyboard protector is there because it's easier to clean it than to clean the keys themselves. The Palm Guard is there because the oils in my skin left some discoloration where my hands rested on my previous MBP . The only thing on the outside is a decal, and that's only because we have three MBPs in the house. The decal makes it easy to tell which is mine, especially when I'm in a hurry. Personally, I'm not a fan of the wraps or the hard cases. I just have a nice protective bag to put it in when I take it out of the house, and if it ends up with a few dings it's not the end of the world.

yet u cover ur computer up with ju nk lol

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
yet u cover ur computer up with ju nk lol

My computer isn't covered in "junk." I listed 3 items, only one of which has any visible impact on the computer.

The palm guard is mostly because I passed my last MBP on to hubby, and he whined about the discoloration. My current MBP will likely get passed down to him at some point in the future, too. If it costs me $20 or so to avoid the complaints, it's well worth it to me. The keyboard cover isn't so much to prevent damage as it is that I just don't like cleaning the keyboard. It's much easier to take off the keyboard cover, wash it and put it back on than it is to try to get cat hair and other debris out from under the actual keys.

I'm not overly worried about my computer getting damaged, that was my point. Overall I think most people worry too much about minor damage being done to their computers. That's just my personal opinion, though.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Nothing. I fail to see the point of all this protective gear. You're protecting something that you're never going to see, plus half of that protective crap can actually do more harm than good.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm just curious what people in recent times (dont ask me to check MRoogle) have on their Macbook Pro to protect it from elements.

I have the moshi keyboard thing, slickwraps black carbonfiber fullbody, incase perforated black hard case. I think i have a little too much... which is why im asking.

Is a skin enough? Or should i use the hard case? Or is both ok? Will this cause heat issues big enough to worry me?

Thanks in advance for any input. Again, i'm looking for updated and new feedback. So no MRoogle replies, please. :)
OCD much? :)

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Nude, but when its in my bag or i'm taking it, its in a old Neoprene Sleeve that i had for my PowerBook.

But like, idk its just a computer,i look after it an all, but i just use it.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I have Apple care protection on my 15" 2011 MBP.

Edit:
And I have King Kong protecting my MBP. I'll post a pic this afternoon.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Nothing.

Is a skin enough? Or should i use the hard case?
Your call to make. It's not a one-size-fits-all matter.

Again, i'm looking for updated and new feedback. So no MRoogle replies, please.
Site restricted Google, filter dates as desired. IIRC you can specify dates with the built-in search as well. Why does recent matter? People that want to protect their MacBooks tend to want to protect them and vice versa.

Last edited:

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
photo-1.jpg

This is protecting my MBP. :D

mikeymike1

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Scotland, UK
My MBP is naked as the day it was born. :)

I've never used any sort of cases and generally speaking the condition of my MBPs have always been pristine. I don't see the need for such, at least because of my usage patterns.

I second that. I've had mine for over three years, never had any kind of cover or shield. I keep it in a snug-fitting memory foam case for when I carry it around or slip it into my backpack, but when in use it's totally naked and it's stayed in mint condition, no dents/screen scratches. I give it a clean with the TechLink cleaning kit, but I've always thought it to be unnecessary to keep it enclosed at all times.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Naked, but I'm starting to dislike the fact that every other guy owns a laptop that looks just like mine. Customizing the look by using covers might not be a bad idea.

phaedarus

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
I travel with my 17 inch 2011 MBP all the time and physical protection is a necessity in my humble opinion - especially when in the vicinity of places like construction sites/steel mills.

All of my protective layers are from Moshi including the keyboard protector, palm guard/track guard and the Moshi Codex.

The keyboard protector is a must, especially if you're in a cafe where or confined location where one can be careless with liquids. Keep in mind that Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage. Even if it did, you'll be out for a week or more without your MBP. Is it really worth that kind of hassle because you or someone else tipped a coffee cup over your MBP because you didn't want to spend an extra $20?

As mentioned above, keyboard protectors are much easier to clean than the keys themselves. The keyboard keys can't be uplifted so if you get bits of food or other debris inside your keys, it's there permanently unless you dismantle your MBP.

The only outstanding issue with keyboard protectors is the effect of having an extra cushion on top of your keys which require additional pressure to depress the key. It's easy to miss key strokes when using a keyboard protector for the first time. Moshi's keyguard seems to be the least problematic in this regard but either way, don't expect to break WPM speed records.

Palm guard/track guard are nice to have but optional if you're worried about palm grease which has the potential to discolourize your MBP.

The Moshi Codex is one of the few sleeves available for the 17 inch. Not only is it well manufactured, but designed so that the sleeve can be worn even while the MBP is in use. When the sleeve is unzipped, the zippers are laid flat as to allow access to all side ports. The bottom of the sleeve has supports that raise the MBP about 5mm or so off the surface for heat to dissipate. The extra bonus of having the sleeve on while the MBP is in use is that it covers the lid casing, concealing the Apple logo so as not to draw attention to potential thieves looking to snag a Macbook. Lastly, the Codex has a nice fold out handle so you can carry the MBP like a briefcase instead of carrying it under your arm as it were a heavy textbook.

Of course, the codex does an excellent job of protecting your MBP from scratches/scuffs and the elements - which can only help retain its resale value.

If there were any disadvantages with the Codex, I would have to say that it does increase the thickness of your MBP slightly which can make it tricky to insert your MBP into a bag's laptop compartment.

I don't use a hard shell myself due to the fact that I carry my MBP in my backpack so generally I'm not too worried about dropping it.

The bottom line is that all these guards and casings not only offer practical protection that will save your time and money where minor accidents are concerned, but they're many more times easier to clean than your MBP and are therefore worth the extra expense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.