Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thoughts of the possibilty of the iPhone's screen being longer but not wider?

• Hey, as long as the screen is diagonally larger, the lack of extra width doesn't bother me.

Votes: 75 20.2%
  • I agree, the screen should be BOTH wider and longer than the current iPhone 4S screen!

Votes: 259 69.8%
  • I just want the screen to stay at 3.5 inches. Anything bigger than that is something I won't use!

Votes: 37 10.0%

• Total voters

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I have to admit, I'm one of those people who are disappointed in the LENGTHENING of the iPhone, as seems to be the case according to rumors.

Now before people crack jokes about "girth over length" let's state the shortcomings of having a longer-but-not wider phone.

1) Typing will not be any different in portrait mode.
2) Display of the text while typing in landscape mode won't have any more room to it.
3) Webpages will just be slightly faster to scroll though...(big ***** deal) but we STILL have to continue to zoom to read text that we shouldn't have to zoom to see if we had a screen that was wider and longer.
4) The battery will be made longer and thus more voluminous, but the lack of extra width will mean the battery won't be as large as it could be.
5) The iPhone will look strange, if the current leaked photos, descriptions, etc are accurate.

I dunno about you guys, but as a person who has always wanted a bigger screen, I'm only half-looking forward to a lengthened screen.

What I really wanted was THIS. The same as this mockup of the iPhone 5 from last year. Bigger screen all around, not just this lengthened crap that we're seeing lately.

Sz2rk.jpg

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/29/physical-mockup-of-iphone-5-with-tapered-design/

Last edited by a moderator:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
A 4 inch screen with Retina display and HD aspect ratio would just be longer as proposed.

A wider screen HD would result in a greater than 4 inch diagonal (and even longer phone) or a pixel per inch of less resolution than the Retina display

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
They will be wider... All you need to do is rotate it 90 degrees.
You know...I wonder if Apple will make the keyboard do what Windows Phone currently does when you hold their phone in landscape mode.

Vyh5u.jpg

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
You're missing an option on your poll... Those of us who don't care so much about screen size, but DO care about the phone size. By keeping the length and width close to it's current size, the next phone will still fit easily in pockets and be easily used with one hand.

I care far more about that than adding extra width for the screen. Besides, they could just about keep the phone exactly the same size as it currently is and still have a 4" a screen....that's what I'm hoping for.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I trust that Apple will make it work. But I must admit it looks a bit wierd. I am personally very sceptical about those leaked pictures. I am not sold on their authenticity. We will see.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
You're missing an option on your poll... Those of us who don't care so much about screen size, but DO care about the phone size. By keeping the length and width close to it's current size, the next phone will still fit easily in pockets and be easily used with one hand.

I care far more about that than adding extra width for the screen. Besides, they could just about keep the phone exactly the same size as it currently is and still have a 4" a screen....that's what I'm hoping for.
Honestly, I'm tired of you people who think the iPhone should remain the same size. Are you guys the size of Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones? Are you a bunch of men who wear skinny jeans that need the room? Are your hands really that much smaller than a South Korean's hand? They're debuting a 4.8 inch phone and people are going to buy it like crazy and you're really worried about extra size?

Come on, guys, are we little women with dainty hands? What's up with this? We're not saying it should be a Samsung Note or even the new Galaxy S3, we're just saying that it needs to be bigger and it will still fit in every hand and pocket the current one is in, unless you have a pocket that is the exact size of the iPhone 4S.....:rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I think this lengthened screen might be their first hardware blunder if it goes through.

...if you don't count the glass back and antennagate as blunders, that is...

The first hardware blunder they made was using aluminium in the 1st gen iPhone, but they soon corrected that (by using cheap plastic that oh so many complain about - might I add ;)). The aluminium gave the phone a premium feel and it was very hefty to hold, but absolutely dire for signal.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
The first hardware blunder they made was using aluminium in the 1st gen iPhone, but they soon corrected that (by using cheap plastic that oh so many complain about - might I add ;)). The aluminium gave the phone a premium feel and it was very hefty to hold, but absolutely dire for signal.
Honestly, the 1st iPhone didn't feel very premium to me. The iPhone 4 feels more premium to me than the 1st one.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Maybe I just didn't look hard enough, but it was the first phone I'd ever seen made out of metal.
Who says the iPhone has to be made of metal to be a premium phone?

I just think a glass back sucks.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Disappointed about a phone we've never actually seen? Not really.
I'm glad you took the opportunity to make yourself feel intelligent there. Must have felt good to be disingenuously sarcastic.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm glad you took the opportunity to make yourself feel intelligent there. Must have felt good to be disingenuously sarcastic.

You asked a question, I gave you an answer. It must be tough to ask questions then attack people who answer. Perhaps your "start new thread" button should be removed if you don't want people to answer your questions.

PS: If you firmly believe Apple's first blunder will be not making the phone wider then you're clearly new to the Apple scene. :cool:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
You asked a question, I gave you an answer. It must be tough to ask questions then attack people who answer. Perhaps your "start new thread" button should be removed if you don't want people to answer your questions.
You gave a non-answer. A pointless sarcastic one that acted as if I'm saying the longer iPhone is a sure thing rather than what I really posted: a thread about discussion of a certain aspect of what are only journalistic rumors at this point.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I trust Apple.

I used to trust Apple completely. But in today's iToyz era... Not so much.

Sad, but true.

Another skinny phone means they've made zero progress when it comes to available on screen working area when typing emails & other things.

Let me tell you, once you've used a spacious 4.5" display of normal proportions, using an iPhone where more than 60% of the display (in landscape orientation) is taken up by the keyboard and toolbar above it, well... its a very dated & frustrating experience.

Proving once again, Apples iToyz are about entertainment (which is not bad) and fitting in women's pockets. Such a shame, especially when I _know_ what Apples truly capable of.

So yes, I'm very disappointed but certainly not surprised. The moment this absurd idea was rumored I had this bad feeling Apple would lock onto such a bizarre shape.

Perhaps they'll dredge up their old slogan, "Think Different" (BLEH)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.