Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
http://www.cultofmac.com/171890/qualcomm-just-announced-a-new-lte-chip-that-would-be-perfect-for-the-next-iphone/

Qualcomm just revealed an LTE chipset that supports SEVEN frequency bands :eek: including both 700mhz blocks of LTE spectrum that AT&T and Verizon have. All this in addition to being built on low power consuming 28nm process.

What do you guys think?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
If they're just announcing it chances are it's not in mass production. Still ample time for a fall release, but the window of opportunity is not getting any larger as the days go by.

"Qualcomm says the chips will go out in July and arrive in new phones by the end of the year. Coincidentally, Apple’s next iPhone is expected to drop in the November-October timeframe."(cultofmac)

That either means production has started or will start very soon. I'll sit on the fence on this one.

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Not sure they're going to make it for the launch this fall the iPhone but it appears sanity will return with iPad 4 cellular.

18 SKU are a lot to manage.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
If they're just announcing it chances are it's not in mass production. Still ample time for a fall release, but the window of opportunity is not getting any larger as the days go by.

From the original document:

Qualcomm has accelerated development of its next generation RF chip, the WTR1605L. This new RF chip will support a total of seven frequency bands—three below 1 GHz, three higher bands, and one very high band (such as 2.5 GHz). Qualcomm is just beginning the transition to this chip, which is occurring in conjunction with its transition to 28 nanometer chips. The first chipset using the WTR1605L is the MSM-8960. Qualcomm is currently facing supply constraints with respect to its 28 nanometer chips, including the MSM-8960. Qualcomm nonetheless expects that the first MSM-8960 chips supporting Band 12 based on the WTR1605L will begin shipping to device manufacturers in July of this year, and the first devices based on the MSM-8960 should reach store shelves by the end of this year.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Just because they JUST announced something doesn't mean it wasn't already massively produced.

This is true of consumer devices, like games consoles and such, but Idk if it applies to OEM hardware, to be included in consumer products. :/ I hope so though.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
The 28nm MSM8960 SOC is already in production and used in the North American version of the GS3 and the HTC One X.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
They're gonna use the MDM9615 28nm LTE chip. It also does all the 3G bands.

Last edited:

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Let's hope this one isn't a battery drain like the current LTE chips. I really think they jumped the gun with LTE since the chips were pushed out with no regard for the ungodly amount of battery they use.

When I had my Razr I had to keep LTE off most of the time just to get through the day. I think Apple is confident with the new chips and we should see reasonable power consumption from the iPhone 5.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Let's hope this one isn't a battery drain like the current LTE chips. I really think they jumped the gun with LTE since the chips were pushed out with no regard for the ungodly amount of battery they use.

When I had my Razr I had to keep LTE off most of the time just to get through the day. I think Apple is confident with the new chips and we should see reasonable power consumption from the iPhone 5.

Yea we will. The new one is down to 28nm from 45 for the current LTE chips. Big power savings.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
They're gonna use the MDM9615 28nm LTE chip. It also does all the 3G bands.
So far it's still speculation at this point.
It is being assumed that Apple would go with the MDM9615 since they used the MDM9600 in the new iPad however the MDM9615 comes at a premium price per device ($3-$10 more per device).
Doesn't sound like much, but buy a few million chips and it adds up fast.

The only difference between the MDM9615 and the MDM8960 is VoLTE support... and the price per chip.

Carriers aren't sending voice over their LTE radios yet and no one has said they will be anytime soon.
Last report was still a year or two out and the standards for it aren't even finalized yet.

They both share the same core.

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008

Current lte is built on the same chip as the processor more importantly. My htc one x lasts as long as my iPhone 4s, so it can only get better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.