Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
Im new to the ATV and would like to use Handbrake to put all my Seinfeld DVD's in Itunes as TV shows. What happens is HB calls all 5 episodes from each disc the same name. Additionally is there a way to enjoy the "extras" as well? Last but not least is the use of Lostify. This will not work on my Imac...I get and error message and thats it. What other program or method is there to trick itunes into putting these into TV shows. I can do it manually but that is inconvenient. Thanks in advance!

Paul

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Each episode will be a different title on the DVD, and handbrake rips a title at a time. So, when you're setting it up, make sure you name your output file correctly. I use the following format: <Show Name> S<season no> E<episode no>.m4v
E.g. "Seinfeld S1 E1.m4v"

If you're not sure which title is which episode, play each episode in the DVDPlayer app and click on the Go > Title menu option, the one with the tick against it is the currently playing title.

Once HB has finished ripping the title, I open the output file in Subler and use that to get the metadata. With the filename format above, it will auto populate the series name, season and episode numbers for you and do the lookup.
Just accept the metatdata, select cover art and save, then use the "Send to iTunes" option on the menu to add to your library.
Job Done.

Edit - Extras will just be extra titles on the DVD. You can rip them in exactly the same way as the as the actual episodes. Obviously they won't have any metadata that can be fetched, but you can tag them yourself as additional episodes in the season and add them to iTunes in the same way.

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
Thank you so much! I followed your instructions and it all turned out exactly like I wanted! The only annoyance is I cant figure out how to make Subler automatically find the data (I press magnifying glass each time) and when adding to itunes it opens a "apple tv" window...But thank you so much for your help!:D:D

Paul

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Thank you so much! I followed your instructions and it all turned out exactly like I wanted! The only annoyance is I cant figure out how to make Subler automatically find the data (I press magnifying glass each time) and when adding to itunes it opens a "apple tv" window...But thank you so much for your help!:D:D

Paul

try using iDentify instead of Subler for your metatags, works great for me for TV shows

if it doesnt automatically detect, click the edit file button make sure the file type is TV show and make sure it has the right Season and episode # once thats correct hit re-scan and its will fill in the info

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
imacwannabe....you rock. I was just getting ready to start my own thread about this just now. I've been looking for an answer and Jim pointed out the obvious....duh :foreheadsmack:

If you're not sure which title is which episode, play each episode in the DVDPlayer app and click on the Go > Title menu option, the one with the tick against it is the currently playing title.

I've started the optical to digital transition of our media for the three ATV3's in the house, and to 'justify' a new MacMini when they come out to be my *cough* our iTunes server.

I've been using the sticky at the top of the forum to batch rip and encode movies, which I will say is the tits, and did all of our DVD movies. DVD TV shows are what I'm working on now. I'd like to automate the ripping of each episode correctly, but from what I'm understanding, there is still a little "double checking" to make sure everything is labeled correct.

Right?

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
The only annoyance is I cant figure out how to make Subler automatically find the data (I press magnifying glass each time) and when adding to itunes it opens a "apple tv" window...But thank you so much for your help!:D:D
Paul

I don't think you can get Subler to do that as tagging isn't really it's primary purpose, just a nice little add in. Only takes a few seconds though. I can tag a 23 episode season in about 5 mins using this method so it's not too onerous.

I'd like to automate the ripping of each episode correctly, but from what I'm understanding, there is still a little "double checking" to make sure everything is labeled correct.
Right?

The problem is you can't guarantee that the episodes will be in the same order as the titles so you'll need to check first. However, when doing multi disk seasons, I tend to check the first disk, and if that's in order I don't bother checking the rest and assume that they'll be the same.

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Just in case anyone's interested, I've refined my workflow for this a little to reduce the amount of clicking required.

1. Open Handbrake's preferences pane, and in the general tab configure it to send the output file to Subler on completion.

2. Use MakeMkV to rip your TV show DVD. Output the files into one folder per disk, with the files named as per my post above (you'll need to enable "advanced" in the MakeMkV GUI to set the file name).
You should end up with something like:
/Users/Jim.R/MKVS/SEINFELD_S1_D1/Seinfeld S1 E1.mkv
/Users/Jim.R/MKVS/SEINFELD_S1_D1/Seinfeld S1 E2.mkv
etc...

3. Once the all the titles have ripped, go to Handbrake and click "Open source" and select the folder created above (not the individual files). This will open all of the files in that folder as separate titles.

4. Select the pre-set you want to use, make any other modifications and then click "File" > "Add all titles to queue".

5. Open the queue window and hit Start.

Now, while that runs, repeat steps 2-4 for the other disk(s) in the set to add them to the Handbrake queue. Again, make sure each disk is ripped to a separate folder (e.g. the next disk would rip to "/Users/Jim.R/MKVS/SEINFELD_S1_D2"

As Handbrake finishes encoding each episode, it'll now automatically open the MP4/M4V in Subler for you to add metadata.

98EXL

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
not on the moon
Just in case anyone's interested, I've refined my workflow for this a little to reduce the amount of clicking required.

1. Open Handbrake's preferences pane, and in the general tab configure it to send the output file to Subler on completion.

2. Use MakeMkV to rip your TV show DVD. Output the files into one folder per disk, with the files named as per my post above (you'll need to enable "advanced" in the MakeMkV GUI to set the file name).
You should end up with something like:
/Users/Jim.R/MKVS/SEINFELD_S1_D1/Seinfeld S1 E1.mkv
/Users/Jim.R/MKVS/SEINFELD_S1_D1/Seinfeld S1 E2.mkv
etc...

3. Once the all the titles have ripped, go to Handbrake and click "Open source" and select the folder created above (not the individual files). This will open all of the files in that folder as separate titles.

4. Select the pre-set you want to use, make any other modifications and then click "File" > "Add all titles to queue".

5. Open the queue window and hit Start.

Now, while that runs, repeat steps 2-4 for the other disk(s) in the set to add them to the Handbrake queue. Again, make sure each disk is ripped to a separate folder (e.g. the next disk would rip to "/Users/Jim.R/MKVS/SEINFELD_S1_D2"

As Handbrake finishes encoding each episode, it'll now automatically open the MP4/M4V in Subler for you to add metadata.

ooooh, I wonder if this will work with the sticky atop this forum using the HBCli?? Investigation time

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
ooooh, I wonder if this will work with the sticky atop this forum using the HBCli?? Investigation time

You mean the automated ripping thread? That's a much slicker solution than I've posted. Simply pop the disk in, enter a name then pop back later and swap disks ad infinitum (until you're done). It will keep spitting tagged MP4s out the other end as they complete.
I don't have enough disks to rip to justify setting all that up though, so I've never used it.
What I posted was just intended to be some hints on setting up the quickest manual method, not as a replacement for it.

I recommend Identify for TV Shows and Subler for Movies.

Subler seems to be doing a fine job on both so far for me, although all of my shows are pretty mainstream and have good metadata and cover art available. They generally all use the same sources for data, so they should be pretty similar, just with different GUIs.
Plus, Subler's free :cool:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
:cool::cool:
You mean the automated ripping thread? That's a much slicker solution than I've posted. Simply pop the disk in, enter a name then pop back later and swap disks ad infinitum (until you're done). It will keep spitting tagged MP4s out the other end as they complete.
I don't have enough disks to rip to justify setting all that up though, so I've never used it.
What I posted was just intended to be some hints on setting up the quickest manual method, not as a replacement for it.

Subler seems to be doing a fine job on both so far for me, although all of my shows are pretty mainstream and have good metadata and cover art available. They generally all use the same sources for data, so they should be pretty similar, just with different GUIs.
Plus, Subler's free :cool:

indentify is also free, they paid version does not add much just the option to add files to itunes once you done taging

i purchased the paid version after using the free one for a bit just to give the deve some money for his efforts, he was very helpful answering some questions for me, but other than the adding to iTunes I have not noticed anything else the free one couldnt do :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.