Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I notice that everytime on on a phone call that the person talking sounds hallow/shallow from time to time.
By time to time I mean every 45 seconds or so I hear their voice get hallow/shallow.

Anyone else have an issue like this?

BTW I have an ATT 16gb Black iPhone 5

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
I notice that everytime on on a phone call that the person talking sounds hallow/shallow from time to time.
By time to time I mean every 45 seconds or so I hear their voice get hallow/shallow.

Yes, same phone, on VZW.

benboyd5

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2011

Same here.... VZW, but I would describe it as "bubbly"... And I've noticed it on LTE, not 3G.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
How do I explain this.....

Youre speaking to someone on your iPhone 5.
All of a sudden they start sounding hallow/shallow. It almost sounds like the microphone you speak into is OFF as you cant hear anything going thru the mic. Its like you cant hear yourself talking thru the earpiece, if you were talking.
All of a sudden its like the mic turns ON and you can then hear yourself talking again.

For the person speaking to you, they become very distant, hallow.

I dont know if that makes sense, but if you have this 'issue' you know what I mean.

If this is indeed an issue, how would i/we fix it?

Last edited:

Pytown

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
iPhone 5 sound makes me nauseous

The receiver/ear speaker is defective for sure.... it makes me feel sick and dizzy and instantly nauseous. I have been to the apple store 3 times and they all think im crazy! I have called Verizon 3 times with no success because they too think im crazy. I had to stop using my new iphone 5 after 4 days because I couldnt take it anymore,, and I am now back to my 4......neither companies would replace my phone or take me seriously because "they had not heard of this problem yet". once i found my first post from someone I went back to the apple store and pulled it up on the computer! I am furious.

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
The receiver/ear speaker is defective for sure.... it makes me feel sick and dizzy and instantly nauseous. I have been to the apple store 3 times and they all think im crazy! I have called Verizon 3 times with no success because they too think im crazy. I had to stop using my new iphone 5 after 4 days because I couldnt take it anymore,, and I am now back to my 4......neither companies would replace my phone or take me seriously because "they had not heard of this problem yet". once i found my first post from someone I went back to the apple store and pulled it up on the computer! I am furious.

It's not defective per se, your problem is due to the active noise cancellation. Some people can't handle it. Find a retailer that has some Bose noise cancelling headphones to try out and see if they make you feel the same way. You may just be SOL. I don't think there is currently a way to turn it off (you may want to write apple and request it, if they get enough complaints they may add a toggle for it in an iOS update if possible).

See the 2nd question here, same issue but with the Bose headphones: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120277331164160573.html

Pytown

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Yes....

this is exactly how it makes me feel!!!!
what a bummer, because I really was very excited about my new phone. I wonder if this issue will be wide spread enough for apple to take seriously and fix.

speedyralph

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Miami
Hello guys!

I've been an iPhone user since 1.0 and I've put up with enough issues that I have tolerated right until I lost ALL my notes (that have been syncing with ME for yrs.) when I upgraded to iOS 6 on my 4S. Now, my father, brother, girlfriend, and myself upgraded to the iphone5 and we are ALL experiencing this HOLLOW / MUTE sensation when speaking / NAUSEA / DIZZINESS feeling from this wonderful and latest creation of apple.

I'm a day away from returning all four phones and switching to the Samsung G S3 and never looking back at the cult.

Any solutions?

Ralph

*belle*femme*

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
Sounds like a bubble/cloud

I have the same issue of when I put the phone to my ear it sounds like a bubble or a cloud is near my ear. I was a little nervous because i thought it was maybe the frequency/wavelengths were a little too strong. I literally feel like I'm getting headache whenever I put the phone to my ear. Ive been using my earbuds because it makes me very nervous. This is my first iPhone and I'm not that impressed. Im glad to see that I'm not the only one experiencing this. :mad:

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
We have 5 iphone 5's in the family and we all experience this issue.

We have ATT. All 5 phones are 64GB White.

Also have major wifi issues, cannot connect or stay connected to 5ghz bands. Connection is slow.

Also, i have had every model of iPhone except the 3Gs. This is the first one where I have had numerous no ring voicemails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.