Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
So I was downloading the AirPort Utility app and when it asked me to put in a password there was a grayished/checkered distortion horizontally across the keyboard and would changed every time I hit a letter. This is the first time I've had any issues like this. I didn't think fast enough to take a screenshot, but definitely will next time. Hell, I don't even know if a screenshot would capture that. I'm not going to throw a hissy fit over this since I know Apple will replace it if I'm able to replicate the problem in front of them or am able to capture it with a screenshot. Mine is in really good condition with no scruffs out of box or other issues. Anyone else see anything like this? Also, anyone here actually gotten their iPhone replaced already? The only thing I'm worried about is if for some reason the screen gave out and they didn't have any refurb models in. Oh, and if I take it in by October 5th (end of the two week return period) and attempt a full exchange for a new one as oppose to a refurb model, would I be able do that and just wait for them to get new ones in while still using my current iPhone 5 in the mean time?

Thanks, iParis. :apple:

TeddyKGBee

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
I had the same thing happen a couple of times when downloading new apps. It sounds like it may be an issue with the software and not necessarily the hardware.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I had the same thing happen a couple of times when downloading new apps. It sounds like it may be an issue with the software and not necessarily the hardware.

It happened as you were using the keyboard within the app store, right? Maybe an issue with iOS and/or the app store? I guess we better keep an eye out for related issues happening outside the app store and maybe even outside virtual keyboard use.

vgopal

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
I've had this a couple of times.

tried to take a screenshot, but the process of doing that fixed the lines across the keyboard.

TeddyKGBee

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
It happened as you were using the keyboard within the app store, right? .

Ya, that was the only time I noticed it. I tried to replicate it through other apps, but it didn't happen. I didn't associate it with the app store until I saw your post.

supervelous

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
I have had this multiple times, all when using the keyboard, whch makes it seem like a software issue, as if it was a hardware defect you'd see screen distortion at other times, like when viewing a webpage or in an app.

It was always when using the keyboard, but not always in the app store, I've seen it in the search function as well, and im sure other times when using keyboard.

Centst

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Same problem. But I just noticed when I opened a folder of Apps, a thin white line showed across the bottom folder box. I haven't noticed it before or since. And I've used the phone a lot.

96whitels

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2009
This happened to me today, for the first time. hit Install in the app store, when password prompt pop-up displayed. ugh lines....

Either it fixed itself before I took the screen shot, or the screen capture does not catch it.

Software bug.

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
It is definitely just an iOS 6 bug. I had the same thing happen to me on my iPhone 4 running iOS 6 beta (I think I first saw it happen in beta 3, but not 100% sure).

I haven't seen this on my iPhone 5 yet (but I've only had it for a few hours).

therantingalien

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
gaphic problem

Yup, it's happening to my iPhone 5 too.
It seems to happen when the keyboard or the graphic/OS part of the system that overlays the rest of the screen, it doesn't happen every time but it happen to me whenever that graphic/keyboard shows up such in the search function or the apple store when I was asked to input my password.
Seems to be an IOS6 bug that...
This is unbelievable...I have been using apple products for a long time and I have to say that this is the very first time I am dissapointed with the quality and workmanship of the product.
and Yes, my Iphone has been replaced once already due to out of the box scuffing.
I don't want to complain much, but sadly, while at the apple store I went through 5 different iPhones until I get one with no so much scuffing and that is the one I kept. I would've kept opening boxes but the manager at the apple store in 'BayShore Ottawa Mall' refused to keep opening boxes and he basically kick me out of the store saying 'It is normal for aluminium to have scratches'...

I am still shocked. Anyway, this is not a thread about scuffing so I am sorry about this.
Long story short, Yes I do have the same graphic problem too.

julietcc

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
Mine does the same thing on occasion - 32 GB white. Everything else is perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142

tired

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Same problem. I have Apple Care so I'll eventually take it in and see what they can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.