Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I just got a hold of a few SCSI drives and I wanted to know if there's some kind of USB adapter or external case?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 128
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 120

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Pretty sure that a no or at least a "they're very rare and expensive". The one on the right, are you sure that's SCSI and not IDE/PATA. That and 50-pin SCSI look similar (I'm not counting the pins). If you aren't able to read them or use them, do try to give them to someone who can. Those aren't easy to find anymore and always a nice thing to have around.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Pretty sure that a no or at least a "they're very rare and expensive". The one on the right, are you sure that's SCSI and not IDE/PATA. That and 50-pin SCSI look similar (I'm not counting the pins). If you aren't able to read them or use them, do try to give them to someone who can. Those aren't easy to find anymore and always a nice thing to have around.

Thank you for the info.... Yeah, the one on the right is not an IDE/PATA drive... The connection is a bit wider... Thanks for the info...

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Maybe if you're showing off some retro-tech as if it were cool, but old drives aren't IMO.

A dumb thing for you to say given he wasn't showing them off as if they were cool. He was for an external adapter or external case but you obviously missed that.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I have a couple SCSI to USB adapters, I think they came with JAZ cartridge type drive enclosures. They were common years ago. Works well enough, but I just use them to grab data off of old media to store on new drives.

You may to check eBay listings for those kinds of peripherals and perhaps a SCSI-USB adapter is included. But then you may need some kind of adapter cable between the drive and the... well adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.