Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Do you guys think the airport range of products will be updated at WWDC maybe for ac standard or any other features! looking to pick up a time capsule and an express!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
It's almost a chicken and egg scenario.. do the routers come with AC support first or do the Macs?

To me, it seems logical that the router should first support 802.11ac before the computers, but for some reason (and I'm too lazy to look this up), I feel like previous generations of Macs have supported newer standards before their routers.

Nonetheless, I do believe we'll see an update to the express, extreme, and time capsules this summer. That's just my opinion, but it does make sense when considering the rumors of 2013 Macs supporting AC.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
It's almost a chicken and egg scenario.. do the routers come with AC support first or do the Macs?

I'm bored so i spent a couple minutes with wikipedia.

for 802.11n

macbook pro = October '06 (required software update to enable, June '07 shipped with enabled)
macbook = november '06 (required software update to enable, May '07 shipped with enabled)
iMac = about the same as the laptop
airport extreme = August '07
airport express = March '08
mini = march '09

so the computers tend to be a few months ahead.
as they haven't updated yet, the airport line is probably a few months away from updating, but only apple knows what they're going to do.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en

To me, it seems logical that the router should first support 802.11ac before the computers, but for some reason (and I'm too lazy to look this up), I feel like previous generations of Macs have supported newer standards before their routers.
According to Apple, some 2006 and newer Macs supported 802.11n, before the Apple routers supported 802.11n:
How to tell if 802.11n-enabling software is installed

Nonetheless, I do believe we'll see an update to the express, extreme, and time capsules this summer. That's just my opinion, but it does make sense when considering the rumors of 2013 Macs supporting AC.
Not just your opinion! It is a fact:
OS X 10.8.4 code confirms new Macs incoming with super-fast 802.11ac Gigabit wireless support

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I'm super ready for 802.11ac to be released already. I need to replace my aging Airport Extremes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.