Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XeroAllusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
This is a weird behavior I have noticed on my iPhone 5 since I upgraded to iOS 8.

My iPhone 5 will get stuck on 61% battery for 15 minutes and then jump down to 59%. When the battery was at 45%, I used the camera for maybe 30 seconds and then all the sudden the battery dropped down to 39%.

Another time it was at 5% for almost 40 minutes and then went down to 4% continuing to do so.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

----------

iPhone 5 battery life on iOS 8 is abysmal, btw.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I see it happening occasionally with my 5. Started off and on a few months ago even in iOS 7. The batteries are just not as good after about 2 years of use, and iPhone 5 batteries have had more issues it seems than various other models as well (there's a "recall" and people have been noticing it with the 5 quite a bit when iOS 7 came out too).

Acinrav

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
This is a weird behavior I have noticed on my iPhone 5 since I upgraded to iOS 8.

My iPhone 5 will get stuck on 61% battery for 15 minutes and then jump down to 59%. When the battery was at 45%, I used the camera for maybe 30 seconds and then all the sudden the battery dropped down to 39%.

Another time it was at 5% for almost 40 minutes and then went down to 4% continuing to do so.

----------

Same thing for me on iP5S when I updated to iOS 8. It's doing that on 61%, 55%, 39%, 28% and 16%. And it's really annoying for me. My phone is only 4 months old, so the battery is still in good condition. I heared from some friends that they also have the same problem, and no one knows how to get rid of it. I did a clean restore but didn't help. Any suggestion would be great!

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
failing battery, iphone 5 has a problem with that & apple finally realized it by giving free battery replacements but only for certain batches though..google iphone 5 battery shutdown or the like. mine did that & it got so bad once it died 10 mins off the charger at 100%, it didnt even move to 99 or 0% it just dropped dead & i got the lowbattery log to prove it, the genius said it failed every single diag he ran on it

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Same for me! I always notice the 61% to 59! And some others. Also there is a slight lag when you plug your phone into charge before it recognizes it's plugged in. Never did this before. Also my battery was just replaced by Apple 1 month ago so it's not the battery!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Same for me! I always notice the 61% to 59! And some others. Also there is a slight lag when you plug your phone into charge before it recognizes it's plugged in. Never did this before. Also my battery was just replaced by Apple 1 month ago so it's not the battery!
The slight lag seems like an iOS 8 thing where something related to that changed in some way. Kind of similar to the phone going dark durning the boot up process before coming up with the lock screen.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Mine 5S jump from 4% to 1% and shut down few seconds later. And the battery falls very fast from 65% to 55%.

This morning it's also runs very hot without cause. See process name like "double diagnostic bm" if I remember correctly

Acinrav

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
Surely this is the software issue, and Apple should do something about this. My iPhone doesn't get hot, but battery behavior from 61% goes strange. Falls down directly to 59, yesterday phone restarted itself when was 61%, and so on. We can only wait for the next software update and hope so Apple will do something!

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Hmm even while charging there is a lag from 59 to 61%! EVERYTIME. Something is definitely going on here.

Acinrav

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
Hmm even while charging there is a lag from 59 to 61%! EVERYTIME. Something is definitely going on here.

It's definetly problem with new iOS. When I connect phone to iTunes, under the Summary tab it shows 60%. Same time iPhone shows 61%. Sounds like we have a big problem, and Apple should fix this ASAP.

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Terrible battery

I'm getting awful battery on my 5s since upgrading to iOS 8. Neither 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 have helped.

I'll take it off the charger in the morning and go through a few emails and then I've already dropped to 74%.

I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My wife has never had any battery problems on her 5, but then the other day her battery dropped from 11% to 1% over the course of about a minute. She handed it to me and I could see the 10% warning box pop up when it was at 1%. It was really weird. Not sure what's going on, but my wife is not a heavy user by any means.

XeroAllusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah, just 10 mins ago, I had 29% left, used the camera again, immediately drops to 16% in the course of 20 seconds. I don't understand what's going on here.

XeroAllusion

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
Hmm, this is really disappointing. I was expecting maybe a 10%-20% decrease in battery life, but I'm getting about a 50%-60% decrease. I can barely squeeze out 5 hours where I was getting around 8 to 9 hours before on iOS 7 and 6.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Well ios 8.1 didn't fix the 61% to 59% or the 31% to 29% I can confirm. Same behavior. Probably happening on all iPhones. Annoying.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
My wife is kicking my ass by upgrading her iPhone five from 7.1.2 to 8.02. Suddenly her battery percentage have been decreasing fast. We changed the battery thinking it was just a coincidence. Her phone is even getting hot when charging. We just upgraded to a point 8.1 and hopefully that will fix it a little. We should demand Apple Let us downgrade to 7.1.2.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
Battery Jumps

Seeing the same thing here... yesterday as an example my phone was at 18%, and down to 3% very quickly before shutting down. I restarted it and it came back at 16%?!?

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Seeing the same thing here... yesterday as an example my phone was at 18%, and down to 3% very quickly before shutting down. I restarted it and it came back at 16%?!?

Yeah I've seen it hang at 16 and drop to 14 and 9 to 7. Something is screwy in the software. I believe 6 owners are getting this same thing. And it's not a calibration issue or a bad battery. I have a new battery and I've fully drained and recharged a few times now so I know it's not that!

For the most part my battery life has been ok. I get 5-6 hours of screen-on heavy usage on wifi throughout the day with brightness about 30-40%. I think that's about right from what I've gathered from looking through these forums. But back with ios 6 I could easily get 7.5 hours with the same usage. I miss those days. Guess I need a iphone 6 now!

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2005
Worrisome that this was apparently not caught in 8.1... given the flakiness of 8.02 I'm going to wait until jumping to latest again in case it has worse got'chas.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
In most cases the problems when switching to a new iOS version are (as I had with my switch from iOS6 > iOS7):

- rogue app process (app not updated yet to iOS8/8.1) check Settings > General > Usage > Battery usage in percentage to determine which app is using much more battery although you haven't used it at all or much.

- settings in e-mail receiving is changed
- background app refresh (turn it off if you do not need it)
- location services (look carefully which apps you want to use this feature)
- notifications (look carefully which apps you want to use this feature)
- Facebook app

See also this great article about this.

Betlko

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2015
I also have nearly the same problems -,- .iphone 5s here and after i updated my iphone 5s to ios 8.1.... My battery jumps at 61,55,31,28,16% at 2% always and ios 8.1.2 stil didnt fix it -,-- i hope they will fix it soon

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK

----------

This is a software issue. I've seen it several times in work, and even on my girlfriend's 5s.

Backup via iTunes, then restore the whole phone and restore the backup.

It seems to be a result of cumulative smaller updates getting confused somewhere, and an install of the full OS through iTunes should solve it. Haven't had any clients returning with the issue as of yet anyway.

dramitmanglani

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2015
Dear imagineadam

I have iphone 6 and I also have ing same battery falling problem 71 to 69 31 to 29 and so on
what is the solution
ples reply as soon as possible

----------

My ip 6 drops 71 to 69
What to do I m on ios 8.1.3

----------

Dear sunking please advice me what to do with battery fall 71 to 69

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.