Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mode

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2006
The remote accessory looks ugly.

It's not a very bad-looking package, but for the hardware its way too expensive, I think.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
SuperSnake2012 said:
New Dell XPS M2010 starting at $4000.

I'll state the obvious by saying that Dell is overpricing these extremely and they are ripping off the iMac. :rolleyes:

The specs are nearly identical to the 20" iMac besides the graphics (Mobility X1600 vs. Mobility X1800) but this costs 2.5x as much. :eek:

It really is about time Dell cut its losses and concentrated on their lovely monitors ;)

*looks dewy-eyed at his 24" monitor*

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
Yes, the machines are very similar, except:
The Dell is much less good looking.

Also, what's the point of having a folding screen if the machine isn't a laptop? I think Dell is trying to copy the iMac without blatantly copying the design.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
FleurDuMal said:
It really is about time Dell cut its losses and concentrated on their lovely monitors ;)

*looks dewy-eyed at his 24" monitor*

no joke, speaking of which my new dell monitor should be here monday :D

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I don't like the look of this at all - particularly the whole foldaway to a briefcase thing. Either you want a laptop or you want a desktop - this seems like some horrible hybrid.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
FleurDuMal said:
If it did, Apple would probably sue for copyright infringment.

Maybe Dell seeks to tap into a wider market by concentrating on other farmyard animals?

Maybe it'll bark? :eek:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Copland said:
.............................Also, what's the point of having a folding screen if the machine isn't a laptop? .............................

i thought exactly the same. it's not a real all in one machine either because the base is separated from the monitor. somehow more like a G4 imac. the folding screen make no sense and the base wastes desk space. not a good concept and way too expensive.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I looked at this on Engadget and immidately laughed out loud. They're just desperate now.. I mean, before the LCDs, the Retail Stores, then the "accidental" Mac OS Drivers, now the wannabe iMac killer? Will I be surprised if they create a Dell Mini? This is hillarious and low..

4 thousand BUCKS!? WTF!?

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I personally think that the "Sophisticated Briefcase" look is rather ugly, and should at least have regular hinges. It just might cut the cost down $1000.;)

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
Didn't they try this once before?

I could swear I remember an all-in-one 'iMac killer' from them around the time the G5 iMacs debuted.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Honestly, I think it's a nifty machine, and I can see gamers shelling out the money for one. It's essentially a powerful gaming desktop with the option of portability, which, if you attend as many LAN parties as some people do, is very handy. Also, the expandability far outstrips the iMac.

People shouldn't assume that every all-in-one is targeting Apple. It's a high-end gaming rig, and they're not even trying to say otherwise.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
More power to them (redux!). I think it's a cute concept (well, I think the keyboard is atrocious, but the rest is reasonably cute). Yes, it's probably overpriced. But then again, who pays list for anything at Dell anyways? :rolleyes: It's good to see them actually try to make something that's not exactly like everything else on the market for their XPS line... so far their XPS hardware has smacked of rebadging in the automotive industry.... :(

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Remember how the eMachines eOne and it was similar to the iMac G3 and how apple sued eMachines....:rolleyes:

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I think this is a pretty ridiculous machine to be honest. And the price tag, omfgwtfbbq???? How in the hell is that machine worth $4000? Let's be realistic now, that's just completely outrageous. I guess Dell fanboys will buy anything *sigh*

The design and styling of the unit itself seems pretty retarded. It's a cross between a desktop and a laptop which probably weighs 20 lbs. Certainly not portable enough to take with you everywhere like you could with a high end laptop that you could buy for at least $1000 less. I can't wait to see the first person trying to set one of these up on a plane flight, trying to figure out how to fit it on to his little folding table overflowing in to the people next to him.

Wow... this has got to be Dell's worst invention ever. Gotta respect the iSight rip-off, rofl.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
There is something so "80's geek-tech" about Dell. Maybe it's the black. Maybe it's the fact you know it'll be ready for the garbage in a few years. It's not that it's ugly, it is just that Dell's designers don't understand design or the history of industrial design. At Apple, the guys understand and integrate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.