Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theoretical

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
I'm torn between a MacBook and a 15" MacBook Pro for my purchases. I do get lots of eyestrain with CRTs and I have no doubt I'd sustain just as much with a glossy LCD.

I do a fair amount of photo editing and I do appreciate quality color reproduction; however, I also do appreciate the MB's easy-access hard drive, smaller profile, and significantly better batery life.

I have heard of some people applying anti-glare screen protectors to make glossy screens matte. What are y'all's thoughts on this idea? How much is color reproduction affected by this change - and can a color calibrator fix the issues with the glossy screen underneath (both with or without the protector).

That said, I am strongly considering a 15" MBPro.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Eye strain is generally due to over-brightness. Can be compensated by moving away or adjusting brightness & contrast. Room light plays a part in this.

Another cause could be a low refresh rate, esp with an interlaced monitor. This shouldn't be an issue with either laptop.

The consensus from every pro photog I've read says the matte screen is better for serious usage.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I had to make the same decision when I was buying a laptop a couple weeks ago. I had an iBook G4 14" and I chose to get the MacBook Pro, partially because the glossy screen is far from ideal for my photo editing and partially because after seeing my sister's and my dad's laptops, both with glossy screens I began to hate glossy screens. The screens are like a mirror and it annoys me to no end. But I have no experience with the anit-glare screen protectors, but from what I've heard, it doesn't make the screen a matte screen, it just makes it look like a matte screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.