Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Can anyone tell me how to make OS X connect to a network drive automatically upon login? Also, I need to know how to make it so that each user account connects to the same drive using the distinct username and password they used to log on to the computer.

Can anyone help?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The only thing I can think of is to mount the drive to the desktop and keychain the username and password. Then drag the drive image to the right portion of the dock, near the eject or at least to the right of the little black line. then reboot or log out and in. clicking on the drive icon in the dock will connect the drive and open a finder window to its contents. You should be able to name the share whatever you need to when you share it, I would think on the network side, not the mount side, and possibly change its icon prior to dragging it to the dock to something other than the network sphere, for easy identification.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Mount it, then go into System Prefs>Accounts>Login Items. Click the + button, then select the volume from the dialog box that appears.

Make sure that all accounts have the necessary username and password in their Keychain and the credentials should stay constant.

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Is there any way to make this process happen for hundreds of user accounts without actually having those users logging in themselves and doing it (explaining this stuff to them might be near impossible)

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I tried making an app in Automater that did this, but I struggled with it and eventually gave up. I think it could be the key for you though. :)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
if you have apple remote desktop (hint) you can do it very easily

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
you can make one applescript to mount the drive, using the specific user name, and have the user type int the password and click remember login info

and make another applescript to copy the previous applescript into their home directory, and add to the login items

that might work, if you can't get access to a copy of remote desktop

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
This works a treat. Paste into script editor and save as app

tell application "Finder"
activate
try
mount volume "afp://username:password@192.168.0.254/Production Server"
mount volume "smb://username:password@192.168.1.202/Adops"
mount volume "smb://username:password@192.168.1.202/SHARABLE"

end try
end tell

Set it as a login item and it works really well

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
jdoyle, you need to use the [plain] & [/plain] tags around that to stop it rendering as smileys

Like this:-

tell application "Finder"
activate
try
mount volume "afp://username:password@192.168.0.254/Production Server"
mount volume "smb://username:password@192.168.1.202/Adops"
mount volume "smb://username:password@192.168.1.202/SHARABLE"

end try
end tell

© jdoyle 2006

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.