Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
I can only read my new backup HD, and I thin I need to format it. I'm just going to use it for storing files (later on) and making a bootable backup using CCC. What do I need to format it as, and how do I do that?

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
I can only read my new backup HD, and I thin I need to format it. I'm just going to use it for storing files (later on) and making a bootable backup using CCC. What do I need to format it as, and how do I do that?

To format to into Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities). Choose your HD on the left, choose your format (I reccommend HFS+ Journaled :))

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
To format to into Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities). Choose your HD on the left, choose your format (I reccommend HFS+ Journaled :))

Do I look under:
96845965.png

And under Erase my format options are:
45910976.png

And which one do I pick? :
96418475.png

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
No, you want erase, and the other 2 options are correct :)

OK, it worked. Thanks.

1 other question: I used CCC (carbon copy cloner) to make a bootable backup of my HD, can I also store files on the HD or should I just leave it alone with the bootable backup on it. And if needed, how do I boot from it?

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
OK, it worked. Thanks.

1 other question: I used CCC (carbon copy cloner) to make a bootable backup of my HD, can I also store files on the HD or should I just leave it alone with the bootable backup on it. And if needed, how do I boot from it?

I would leave it how it is, but you can store files on it if you wish so. To boot from it restart and press option, and select the volume to boot from :)

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
I would leave it how it is, but you can store files on it if you wish so. To boot from it restart and press option, and select the volume to boot from :)

So storing files on it wouldn't be ideal? (besides the backup)

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
So storing files on it wouldn't be ideal? (besides the backup)

Unless you parition it so that one parition is for the backup (remember to set it to GUID partition table if its an Intel Mac, or Apple Partition Map if its PPC) and another is for storing files; yes it can be done but its not ideal (I would partition it).

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
Unless you parition it so that one parition is for the backup (remember to set it to GUID partition table if its an Intel Mac, or Apple Partition Map if its PPC) and another is for storing files; yes it can be done but its not ideal (I would partition it).

Would this work? (both of them Mac OS Extended (journaled))

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
If you want to boot from the 'Mac Backup' partition, no. You need to click options and choose GUID partition table (assuming your Mac is a MacBook, as you HD is called 'MacBook').

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
If you want to boot from the 'Mac Backup' partition, no. You need to click options and choose GUID partition table (assuming your Mac is a MacBook, as you HD is called 'MacBook').

So everythig is fine except that option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.