Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
I have a rather curious problem with my Mac Pro (running 10.4.10) - it won't run PowerPC apps. They just don't open anymore, they'll bounce in the dock and disappear. No error or anything. I'm sure it's due to them not being UBs, as when I check "Run in Rosetta" for any program it fails to open. I installed RAM recently, but removing it has done nothing. I'm not sure how long these problems have been around for, as my Mac has had several bad runs in the last couple months and I can't be sure when this specific problem started.

Any suggestions as to what to do here?

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Gotta say I've noticed this as well... Photoshop 7 does the dock bounce and nothing, runs very occasionally, but runs like a dog with three legs when it does. I'm on a CD iMac 20" with 10.4.10.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
So PowerPC apps have worked until now? What happens if you try another user account?

My Mac Pro's been with me since they were released, and has run PowerPC apps perfectly until recently.

There are no other user accounts on this computer, but I shall try and create one. Of note, I run a different version of OS X on a separate hard drive that I will boot into on rare occasion, and it was not running some of the same programs, but that quite possibly could have been incompatibility with the system version. I'll have to test it out on other apps to find out.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
They can't have deliberately taken out Rosetta, after all they could be sued for removing existing functionality, there must be a bug in the software.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Most do not have the problem. Rosetta still working normally here, after 10.4.10 and QT 7.2.

Lol... thanks for sharing, but the OP obviously *is* having problems, and so am I.

Imagine if you'd seen someone fall over - you (probably) wouldn't go over and say "look at me, I'm walking fine, I'm not tripping over" you'd try to help them out. This thread is us falling over, and we're asking for help, not advice from the Ministry of Pointing Out The Flippin' Obvious. :p

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Lol... thanks for sharing, but the OP obviously *is* having problems, and so am I.

Imagine if you'd seen someone fall over - you (probably) wouldn't go over and say "look at me, I'm walking fine, I'm not tripping over" you'd try to help them out. This thread is us falling over, and we're asking for help, not advice from the Ministry of Pointing Out The Flippin' Obvious. :p

It wasn't directed at you. Do you think I really missed the point that you have a real problem? Your efforts would be better spent on the issues at hand, rather than insulting other members.

My response was to what was obviously meant as a general statement about the update. There are readers who don't get the fact that the problems posted here do not reflect the experience of the vast majority of users.

If you read the post, I was not quoting the OP. Sorry you both are having problems, but you are in the minority.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Alright, well, the fix seems to be working perfectly, Rosetta's working again. Thanks VanNess, and everyone else who offered their help.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
Gotta revive this thread as I'm having the problem and Apple's fixes aren't working. Well, rather, the Terminal line does nothing (it produces an error) and I can't run the Mac OS X Update Combined (Intel). It gives me the stop sign with the ! saying "This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." This is a brand new aluminum iMac here, and Rosetta's dead. :'( I can't go without it as I need to run Quicken and that's not a Universal binary at this point. :\ Any ideas as to a fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.