Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajonesman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
This is an effort to determine if people are recieving new MBP without the bottom yellow screen issue as outlined in the following threads:

SR MBP LED LCD yellowish and gradients issue

All 15" LED MBPs Have Yellow On Lower LCD?

There are some other treads out there covering this.

Currently there are widespread reports of shortages in laptop display panels among computer manufacturers and Apple is currently backordered about 1.5 to two weeks for new machines to ship from the Apple web store.

Among the reports is that people have contacted Apple support and they have acknowledged an issue with the screens and some people claim the Apple support person has made mention that they are trying to phase out a manufacture who may be providing faulty screens (unofficially). In an effort to see if the bottom 1/3 yellowing issues is disappearing or not I'm creating a new thread to track new machines as of 8/13/07.

I have included the test images to indicate if your MBP exhibits the 1/3 yellowing issue. To see if your machine is exhibiting this yellowing issue download the images and open them in preview. These images have been tested in earlier MBP with LCD screens to have the consistent color. LED screens affected with this issue will exhibit noticeable yellowing in the bottom square. (Both top and bottom square are white in Machines without this issue)

When reporting your results, please include the date your machine was shipped and received, wither you purchased from an Apple Retail Store, Apple website or other store. Also include the manufacture of your LED panel (found by System Preferences>Displays>click on the "Color" tab>Click "Open Profile">go to number 13. If you see 9C67 the manufacture is LG, 9C68 is is LG ... or do you see something else?). Include if your machine is matte or glossy. Also include if you have contacted Apple support and what they have said or action taken about this issue.

If your machine was received before 8/13 please do not post on this thread. As this is an effort to see how new machines are fairing. Thanks!

---
edit ... the title should be "New MBP Owners ... " It won't let me change the title.

Attachments

• test_1.jpg
    test_1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 4,062
  • test_2.jpg
    test_2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 3,072

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
I don't have the new MBP yet, however I almost bought one today at two Apple stores. I used the exact test images on the floor units in the store and everyone one I tested had the bottom square yellow ... So I didn't by today. :(

I don't know to keep waiting or bite the bullet and see if I get a good unit. Interesting though that there is a shortage of displays.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
I have ordered a MBP 15" Glossy and as soon as i receive it i will do you test...Being curious i just wanted to try on my wondows PC with a 4:5 LG 19" screen (1280x1024)...i have saved the tests on my desktop and then opened in preview mode...the image is very smal and both square are not at all on the bottom or top of the scree...is it normal as it is just made for MBP? Just want to make sure i did the right thing?

Thanks to let me know...this test sounds good...

dubs

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
I have had my mbp since monday the 13th. No yellowing issues, ran both tests with black and gray boxes, no issues. Also, I have an LG screen, and it is a 15".

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
I have ordered a MBP 15" Glossy and as soon as i receive it i will do you test...Being curious i just wanted to try on my wondows PC with a 4:5 LG 19" screen (1280x1024)...i have saved the tests on my desktop and then opened in preview mode...the image is very smal and both square are not at all on the bottom or top of the scree...is it normal as it is just made for MBP? Just want to make sure i did the right thing?

Thanks to let me know...this test sounds good...

I think the pictures originally came from this thread.

It's pretty obvious when you see it. By separating out the two parts of the screen the top one will look white and the other one kinda looks like a light pee stain on the bottom. On the gray picture it's the same thing ... but you'll see a light gradient from no yellow to a dirty yellowish in the bottom. On a normal display you would just see gray.

There is nothing special about these pictures ... just black with pure white boxes (or gray with pure white boxes). But they make this issue pop out. I think they are sizes for a MBP but You you could easily make one in photo shop. I just used these images and zoomed in and out in preview to adjust the sizes (I even made it the desktop picture). But I used these same ones to test the new iMacs (by the way ... the iMacs I tested had no yellowing ... just every MBP I tested).

ajonesman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2004
Photo Please

Just thinking ... could some one with a camera who has yellowing take a photo with this test to show people what it looks like? I don't have a MPB with yellowing at the moment or else I would take a photo. Thanks!

henhowc

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't have the new MBP yet, however I almost bought one today at two Apple stores. I used the exact test images on the floor units in the store and everyone one I tested had the bottom square yellow ... So I didn't by today. :(

I don't know to keep waiting or bite the bullet and see if I get a good unit. Interesting though that there is a shortage of displays.

Apple store floor models are likely from the first batch of MBPs. You can check the serial number for the week manufactured.

Keiichi

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2007
I have one of the very first new MBPs and indeed i'm having the issue. as the issue seems to be fixed now. do you think i have any chance in getting a replacement machine just because of this issue?

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
My first one week 31 bought 8/9/07 had yellowing, my matte one bought 8/13/07 has the whitest screen ever.it a LG week 30....Bought at a apple store.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
My first one week 31 bought 8/9/07 had yellowing, my matte one bought 8/13/07 has the whitest screen ever.it a LG week 30....Bought at a apple store.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Just thinking ... could some one with a camera who has yellowing take a photo with this test to show people what it looks like? I don't have a MPB with yellowing at the moment or else I would take a photo. Thanks!
Hard to take one open a web page move the address bar dpwn the screen, mine was on the left side bottom......you can see it on the bottom of this pic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xcybergypsyx/1061306594/

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
I have one of the very first new MBPs and indeed i'm having the issue. as the issue seems to be fixed now. do you think i have any chance in getting a replacement machine just because of this issue?
when i was returning mine another person had a 6 week old MBP with the same issue the exchanced it :)

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
i dont have the problem with my 15'' mbp matte..
i tried the pictures you attached and the both squars look as white =)

Keiichi

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2007
when i was returning mine another person had a 6 week old MBP with the same issue the exchanced it :)

good to hear about that. so i will definitly try to exchange it. the problem i have right now is that i need my notebook every day for work but however i'm living in europe and i don't have an apple store around to exchange my mbp. is there any fast way to get a replacement? i simply cannot wait for 4 weeks by doing all this by mail ...

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
good to hear about that. so i will definitly try to exchange it. the problem i have right now is that i need my notebook every day for work but however i'm living in europe and i don't have an apple store around to exchange my mbp. is there any fast way to get a replacement? i simply cannot wait for 4 weeks by doing all this by mail ...
call Apple tell them maybe they can help?

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
i dont have the problem with my 15'' mbp matte..
i tried the pictures you attached and the both squars look as white =)

Good for you! I wend to compusa and tried it on their MBP and they where yellow! ... I have yet to find a machine that doesn't have this issue! argh!

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
my manufacture is 9c57, yes 57 not 67, and i do not see yellowing. maybe i am not looking hard enough but i dont see it.

i got mine early september last year from an apple store. matte finish.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Week: 32 (Matte)
Manufacturer: Unknown - the field in Colorsync was blank! I thought that was a little sketchy.
Issues: Yellow tint, backlight bleed, 1 dead red subpixel.

I received this 8/15/07, sent it back same day, waiting for CTO replacement.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
my manufacture is 9c57, yes 57 not 67, and i do not see yellowing. maybe i am not looking hard enough but i dont see it.

i got mine early september last year from an apple store. matte finish.

Matttrick, The affected units are the new Santa Rosa MBP with the new LED displays. Earlier models are LCD not LED and do not have this issue. Thanks!

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Matttrick, The affected units are the new Santa Rosa MBP with the new LED displays. Earlier models are LCD not LED and do not have this issue. Thanks!

The displays aren't LED, the display panels are still LCD. The backlighting, on the other hand, is LED instead of the older CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lighting) backlights. The 17" MBP still has CCFL backlights as well.

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Week: 32
Still has the yellowing issue... Other things are perfect... Apple agreed to arrange for replacement... I just hope it's perfect

Samsung panel...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.