Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderbolt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
On my intel-mac 20", I install bootcamp and partition my hd with boot camp assistant. Then I install windows xp sp2. Windows works almost perfectly like a non-apple pc but my mac os x performance gets awful. It looks like it's derieved by the partitioning. Because os x boots very slow and i hear too much hd sound. And launching a program takes longer time than normal. I want to use both OSes with good performance.

-Isn't it a bit weird that win works smoothly and fast but os x is slow?

-Has anyone encountered that problem?

-Is it a solution to partition disk before installing OS X and then install OS X and XP? ( *sigh* i can't connect an internal hd cause this is an iMac. )

I tried too many times but result is always same. I only want win because i like games. In the other hand, mac is always better. I was googleing for so much time but i couldn't see anything same with my problem so i'm posting it here. Waiting for your help.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
How big is your Windows partition and how much free space does that leave on your OS X partition?

I've heard that performance can get a little sluggish when the partition gets close to full (please correct me if I'm wrong).

thunderbolt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I recently re-installed OS X to fasten my mac. So there's no bootcamp now but i remember it was more than half of the hd(it's 250GB) for the OS X ( xp partition was about 80-100 i think ). The weird thing is i get poor os x performance even i re-partition my disk to one piece.

Edit: How much hd space for xp do you recommend?

Edit 2: One more problem. When both XP and OS X is installed, some files i put on desktop disappear but when i search the filename at spotlight, it appears again. Often, after pressing empty trash button, trash still looks full. I open trash window and click on the files, they suddenly disappear and trash empties. This one is really really weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.