Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrpeepers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
What do you prefer? Setting aside the fact that SuperDuper is not yet compatible with Leopard, which of the 2 options do you prefer and why?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Personally I prefer SuperDuper! for it's ability to do backups only copying the changed files. And lots of people are reporting that it works well enough on Leopard: the incompatibilities appear to only be in slightly unusual cases.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I used to prefer SD! but I am one of the few who had problems on 10.5 so its CCC for me :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm a fan of Bombich's software, Carbon Copy Cloner being one, but Super Duper does have a much nicer interface.

I just use Time Machine at home and image with NetRestore or the System Image Utility from Apple.

mrpeepers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Personally I prefer SuperDuper! for it's ability to do backups only copying the changed files. And lots of people are reporting that it works well enough on Leopard: the incompatibilities appear to only be in slightly unusual cases.

Yeah, the problem is that you can't boot from the external - at least that's what I've noticed...

Sounds like I'm sticking with SuperDuper... I paid for the software for scheduling purposes, I'm getting impatient at not being able to schedule backups at this point.

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
Another vote for SuperDuper. Hopefully Leopard compatibility will come within a week

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
SuperDuper! But what's the deal with it not being Leopard compatible yet?? It's driving me nuts.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Yeah, the problem is that you can't boot from the external - at least that's what I've noticed...

That's not likely to be a problem with SuperDuper!, rather a problem with the external drive. Not all bridge chipsets are bootable. For example I have a number of Firewire externals, all of which are bootable when SuperDuper! makes a bootable clone. I also have a single cheap USB enclosure: this is not bootable.

mrpeepers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
That's not likely to be a problem with SuperDuper!, rather a problem with the external drive. Not all bridge chipsets are bootable. For example I have a number of Firewire externals, all of which are bootable when SuperDuper! makes a bootable clone. I also have a single cheap USB enclosure: this is not bootable.

Nope, it's a SD/Leopard problem, acknowledged in their blog/forums. USB's are bootable, with an Intel mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.