Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlinford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
My girlfriend is the worst for killing electronics with liquids. She recently poured coffee down her Macbook's keyboard, completely killing the motherboard. Question: is it possible to spill-proof a Macboook? I found the iSkin protectors (http://www.iskin.com/product_kbrd_macbook.html), but this girl is something else. I'm hoping I can liquid-proof the whole machine and prevent her next Mac from following the cellphone she dropped in the toilet.

P.S: My first post! If this is in the wrong forum, please correct me.

P.P.S: I searched the forums for solutions and found many posts about recovering from liquid damage. I'm looking to prevent here.

Thanks!

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Welcome, you're in the right place... for everything!

The only way to foolproof...ly... guard against spills is to never actually have liquids around it. If you're taking your MacBook to a bar (pub), you might want to rethink actually doing that.

Neoprene is waterproof... when it's closed. I got a neoprene zipper sleeve for my MacBook Pro when I'm in Ireland (rainy place, eh.).

Reactions: joy_ng

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
The MacBook keyboard has lots of places for liquid to drop through and onto the logicboard underneath.

However these holes have another, more important function - they allow air to be drawn in by the fan and blown out the back of the machine.

If you make it spill-proof then you are going to restrict the amount of cold air that the machine can suck in and it will start to overheat.

Somebody fancy trying it ..............

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
How about a BIG ziplock bag. One big enough where it will still be completely covered even while open.

patrickmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
The MacBook keyboard has lots of places for liquid to drop through and onto the logicboard underneath.

However these holes have another, more important function - they allow air to be drawn in by the fan and blown out the back of the machine.

If you make it spill-proof then you are going to restrict the amount of cold air that the machine can suck in and it will start to overheat.

Somebody fancy trying it ..............

You're right. Anything that covers the keyboard will interfere with the airflow, and also act as a cozy blanket. That's why I also never use my MacBook in clam shell mode.

To spill-proof a MacBook: don't drink beside it. Personally, I don't eat close to my MacBook nor do I drink near it.

jlinford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Ye with keyboard covers, please speek out.

You're right. Anything that covers the keyboard will interfere with the airflow, and also act as a cozy blanket. That's why I also never use my MacBook in clam shell mode.

Ok, so is there anyone out there with one of these keyboard covers who can confirm or deny overheating or other undesirable side effects? I'll tell her to keep liquids away from her new Mac-baby, but she's such a coffee addict I doubt it'll work.

patrickmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Ok, so is there anyone out there with one of these keyboard covers who can confirm or deny overheating or other undesirable side effects?

I would be interested to get the input of those who use keyboard covers as well. Unfortunately (so far), I have never met a Mac user, nor a PC notebook user for that matter, who uses one.

I'll tell her to keep liquids away from her new Mac-baby, but she's such a coffee addict I doubt it'll work.

Tell her to switch to espresso. Lot's of caffeine, less "liquid" and usually drank in short amount of time :D

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
Sounds like what this girl needs. Or just get her a Panasonic Toughbook.

ThinkPads are probably a better choice; they can have a similar form factor to the MacBook but are liquid proof. However, you end up dripping liquid all over the desk, as the liquid flows through special channels in the laptop and exits from the bottom.

As for spill-proofing a MacBook, my keyboard protector mitigates the damage (I spilled a large cup of water on it and only the enter key stopped working; no water got to the logic board), but it doesn't keep everything out.

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
I'm using a keyboard cover. Not the one linked here, but a regular one and it has been fine. Not totally spill proof, but definitely gives the macbook a chance incase of a spill!

Breegy

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
I've got an idea..

Wrap it completely in seran wrap.

Or dump your girlfriend.

:p

Rmpl

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2007
I thought MacBooks were spill proof! I spilled an entire glass of water on mine and most of it went into the computer and....nothing happened. I was swearing at myself, waiting for something to happen, and it never did. I turned it upside down and shook the water out. A nice bath.

jlinford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Success!

Just wanted to report a major success story. I took the MacBook my girlfriend baptized in coffee and left it out to dry for about 3 weeks. Then I completely disassembled it. There was corrosion and crusted coffee creamer all over the two memory banks and the center of the logic board where the keyboard ribbon connects, and coffee stains on the hard drive. I carefully cleaned everything with a toothbrush and a needle to scrape off some of the tiniest terminals. I used a paper towel dampened slightly with Windex to remove coffee stains and creamer. I blew compressed air over everything and reassembled it. And it worked! The MB is back online and passed several runs of memtest without a hitch.

Now I gotta make her buy one of these nifty iSkin keyboard condoms: http://www.iskin.com/

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just wanted to report a major success story. I took the MacBook my girlfriend baptized in coffee and left it out to dry for about 3 weeks. Then I completely disassembled it. There was corrosion and crusted coffee creamer all over the two memory banks and the center of the logic board where the keyboard ribbon connects, and coffee stains on the hard drive. I carefully cleaned everything with a toothbrush and a needle to scrape off some of the tiniest terminals. I used a paper towel dampened slightly with Windex to remove coffee stains and creamer. I blew compressed air over everything and reassembled it. And it worked! The MB is back online and passed several runs of memtest without a hitch.

Now I gotta make her buy one of these nifty iSkin keyboard condoms: http://www.iskin.com/

Good to know that you got her computer fixed. I just want to give you a heads up that the MB sucks air through the keyboard, so the iSkin may obscure that.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
As a happy MacBook user who also uses a keyboard cover (silicone) - I am happy to confirm that it works as advertised. It doesn't seem to get noticeably hotter wearing it. I'm not using it now and my MB is still as warm as usual. No real difference.

I also own a 2.5 year old ankle bitter who only yesterday threw a bottle of apricot juice at my MB and it survived due to the cover.

I will be keeping the cover.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
As a happy MacBook user who also uses a keyboard cover (silicone) - I am happy to confirm that it works as advertised. It doesn't seem to get noticeably hotter wearing it. I'm not using it now and my MB is still as warm as usual. No real difference...

Personally, I've found using a cover can sometimes affect the heat - this appears to have caused slight marks (as if caused by smoke or scorching) in between some of the keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.