Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Slight niggle here: Please, please, PLEASE keep this discussion limited to the Mac Mini. If someone wants to make a thread for the xMac like this, I would be happy to see one, but don't post any xMac ramblings here, please. Thank you in advance.

Updated to reflect posts as of 3/2/2009; 4:55 P.M.

This thread exists to compile information about the Mac Mini's next update. This needs to actually happen. As of 3/2/2009, it has been 573 days since an update, which thoroughly shatters the Mac Pro's record.

This first post will be edited as we gain more and more clarified information. The newest additions will be in red. Italics denote specs upon which we have not agreed or can never know before release.

Release Information:
Release Date: March. By all the crap that has been happening recently, I'm saying March.
Price: Probably the same, you know? $599/$699

Hardware Specifications:
2.0 and 2.4GHz Penryn (Montevina-clock on nVidia board) processors with a 1066MHz FSB
2GB 1066MHz DDR3 RAM standard, up to 4GB officially and 6GB unofficially
160GB HDD in the 2.0, 250GB in the 2.4, 128GB SSD option for both models
nVidia 9400M integrated graphics
SuperDrive on all models, the interface changing to SATA

I/O:
4 USB 2.0 (maybe a fifth?)
_____________ (What is the power draw on the Mac Mini?)
2x Mini DisplayPort (Mini DisplayPort-single link DVI adapter in the box)
Gigabit Ethernet
AirPort Extreme & Bluetooth 2.1 EDR
Analog audio input and output

Things we won't see:
USB 3.0 (2010, people)
WiMax (You caught it this time, didn't you?)
Blu-ray (more on this below)

Narrative:

Hey, hey. It's time for a concise prediction thread for the Mac Mini. I can't believe that there hasn't already been one. Anyway, here we go: The most recent "modern" insight into a Mac Mini update would have been in November with this story about Apple's chief of hardware engineering saying to be patient with them on the Mac Mini.

And so it began. Since then, we've heard some very confusing rumors, and so I figure that we should put it all together.

The processor... Penryn?:

Well, now... this is rather important, isn't it? The Mac Mini's current processor is WOEFULLY old. The whole set of hardware sucks, but I'll get to that later. We have heard reports of an Intel Atom-based Mac Mini, which in my opinion would kill the line entirely. I just don't like it, you know? It doesn't make sense to me. Sure, put the Atom in an updated Apple TV! Do that! But the Mac Mini is meant to be at least SOMETHING of a computer; let's give it some real power, eh? The Mac Mini specced above is pretty much a MacBook minus the screen, and I'll get to that relationship later.

The chipset, nVidia's MCP79:

We've heard the rumors, we've seen the kexts, now let's agree on it. The next Mac Mini will use an nVidia board and have the 9400M as its GPU. Even the people who are saying that it will be Atom-based say that it will utilize the 9400M, so there we go... unless it uses the Ion :rolleyes: I believe that the Atom/Ion combination will go to the next Apple TV for 1080p support and not in the Mac Mini.

The Little Things:

Second HDD: There was a rumor a while back about an option for a second HDD in place of the ODD. This is probably where the Mac Mini File Server rumor came from; just an extrapolation from the ability to have two 2.5" 500GB HDDs. If the case is similar to the Time Capsule in look, the ODD would be hidden in the lip, and then the slot left by its removal would not be conspicuous. Why does that even matter? It's Apple. This is the company that put two useless screws on the MacBook just to make it look symmetric. They care about aesthetics.

FireWire: Removing it entirely seems to be really likely, but there was one rumor of swapping the 400 for an 800. I don't think this will happen, but it's worth mentioning. I also don't believe that FireWire was dropped from the MacBook for concerns of space. There is plenty of room on the port-side of the MacBook for a FireWire port to be put there. Mini DisplayPort is even smaller than Mini DVI, so that isn't the reason, either.

Mini DisplayPort: Obviously, but there was a rumor of dual video-out. That rumor, however, stated that there would be one Mini DisplayPort and one Mini DVI. What's wrong with this picture, do you think? Probably the fact that it has FULL-SIZED DVI right now, and therefore this would go against Apple's BYODKM ideology by forcing people to buy an adapter to use ANY display they might have (if it has two Mini DisplayPort out, Apple would provide at least one Mini DisplayPort-single link DVI adapter in the box to keep to this).

Price Drop: It doesn't seem likely to happen to the new model coming out, but if Apple keeps the current one on as an even lower-end option, we'll see a price drop of probably $100 there. Makes sense, since they seem to be forced into keeping the old MacBook around.

Redesign Talk:

There's a lot of this going around. Here's where the MacBook relation becomes important. The MacBook logic board will fit inside a Time Capsule case unmodified. How does a Time Capsule-sized/shaped Mac Mini sound? Also, there was a rumor about the white plastic being replaced with black (in the Time Capsule case/look) to match the rest of Apple's lineup.

As before, the words in this sentence will become links as more people post their case mockups. Feel free to do so, of course.

Explanation Section:

SATA ODD: This is the current trend with Apple. I believe they'll go to SATA optical drives with the Mac Pro and Mac Mini after having done so with the MacBook line.

Blu-ray: Yes, this isn't the Mac Pro, and therefore it is a different marketbase. I don't care.

"Well, who cares what you think?!" I believe my position to be the same as Apple's, otherwise I wouldn't post it, and what Apple cares about is what matters. I believe that they don't care about Blu-ray in ANY market and will only add it when they are forced to admit that broadband Internet infrastructure is progressing too slowly for Super Hi-Vision iTunes movies to be a viable option. I stand by the 2015 date. If there is any evidence to the contrary, please post it.

If I missed anything, let me know and I will add it. Please also correct me if I have messed up and tell me what goes in the blanks that I have left. Thanks!

Contributors:

illegallydead: wanted clarification on FireWire
plumbingandtech: wanted to know bus speed
iMacmatician: nVidia board name, prices reminder, a few more rumors
iParis: bit about keeping the current model around, file server rumor

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Nice thread. Any chace we could get this as a sticky?

Thanks. Even my Mac Pro one isn't yet, and being stickied isn't really important for this kind of thread.

Threads like this one, my Mac Pro one, and Multimedia's Mac Pro thread tend to be VERY popular and they get kept on the first page out of interest on their own.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
This is going to be an epic thread. If this theard title wasn't an unofficial template for the Mac upgrades that we came up in a different thread I would have named it, Mac mini: The long wait for the refresh.

It is one of my hopes that it has the same graphics / ram/ HDD / Processor as the current MacBooks.
And the redesign to make it look more like an aluminum Time Capsule or an Apple TV would be amazing.
The Mini Display port would be great, the new 24" LED screen is awesome.

In your first post you might want to mention the ram will most likely be DDR3.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks man, I really appreciate this. We really needed this.

Possible to add release time (eg. Q1 2009). I know it's not sure but very likely etc. and it'd slow down those "When it comes" posts/threads.

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Just a suggestion, but perhaps put edits in red or the date next to the item in red? Otherwise it is difficult to tell what was edited.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Just a suggestion, but perhaps put edits in red or the date next to the item in red? Otherwise it is difficult to tell what was edited.

I will, don't worry. I just added some little things this first time, but I'll put everything new in red (and remove the red as time progresses) just like I do in the Mac Pro thread.

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
I think the current mac mini's max power draw for the CPU is 110watts - If that was the kind of information you were looking for! Specs seem about right and in line with the macbook. I suppose the big question is "when!" :p

Also, bluetooth up to 2.1?
Edit: Oops, its already there.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Tallest: out of curiosity, what is your reasoning for them dropping the Firewire? There are those that claim (and I have argued with extensively) that the only reason they dropped it from the MB was because of space concerns. So, are you thinking that the issue will be the same here? As I recall, there should be plenty of room on the current Mini box for all the stuff you mentioned + Firewire (as there already is, and the current even has a full-sized display connector to boot).
Or is it simply because of the precedence?
Or because the current MB boards don't have it, and they are really just going to throw the same boards in?

What do you think?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
I think the current mac mini's max power draw for the CPU is 110watts - If that was the kind of information you were looking for! Specs seem about right and in line with the macbook. I suppose the big question is "when!" :p

Also, bluetooth up to 2.1?

Yes, thank you... sort of. :confused: If it is in line with the MacBook, would it not be 65 watts?

I ask because I want to know whether or not it is viable to say "MagSafe adapter for power, to connect easily to the 24" LED Cinema Display" under the I/O section.

The LED Cinema Display can handle up to 85 watts through the MagSafe, so as long as the Mac Mini falls under that, it's a possibility....

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Yes, thank you... sort of. :confused: If it is in line with the MacBook, would it not be 65 watts?

I ask because I want to know whether or not it is viable to say "MagSafe adapter for power, to connect easily to the 24" LED Cinema Display" under the I/O section.

The LED Cinema Display can handle up to 85 watts through the MagSafe, so as long as the Mac Mini falls under that, it's a possibility....

Ah ok - I thought you wanted to know the power draw for processor reasons. Magsafe could be a possibility - or an adaptor perhaps. Although the current mac mini has a 6 pin power input, not sure if this affects anything.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Wow...

Between this thread and your Pro thread, I'm wondering when/if you have the time to work. And if you don't work, how can you afford a Pro? :D

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Wow...

Between this thread and your Pro thread, I'm wondering when/if you have the time to work. And if you don't work, how can you afford a Pro? :D

I'm a college student, and I have plenty of time to work (it's just physics, calculus, and C++ classes...). :D

I made the money for my Mac Pro over the summer and on weekends during my last two years in high school.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
I'm a college student, and I have plenty of time to work (it's just physics, calculus, and C++ classes...). :D

I made the money for my Mac Pro over the summer and on weekends during my last two years in high school.

Ahhh...I suspected student. Sounds like engineering to me (I'm one myself).

Good luck.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Dumb questions:

1) What is SATA ODD? ( I googled and wikipedia'd it but could not get answer)

2) Bus speed for this mini? 800mhz (approx) or 1066mhz like the ram?

thanks

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Dumb questions:

1) What is SATA ODD? ( I googled and wikipedia'd it but could not get answer)

2) Bus speed for this mini? 800mhz (approx) or 1066mhz like the ram?

thanks

A SATA optical drive (Optical Disk Drive).

And the bus speed will be whatever the MacBook's bus speed is.

I am a computer engineering student, by the way. Thanks for the good luck. :)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
A SATA optical drive (Optical Disk Drive).

And the bus speed will be whatever the MacBook's bus speed is.

Ah thank you both!

And wouldn't it just be GREAT if apple started to put ESATA ports on their machines....

I would love it for one. Same speed as the internal drive, but in an external case drive. I have tried it first hand on the mac pro, (they have some esata ports on the mobo) NICE. but since no other machine except for the mac pro has this.......I would have to have another mac pro at my other location if I wanted a truly fast mobile system (that just required carrying the hard drive around)

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I think the proposed Mini's specs are a bit too high. I know it has no screen and is a lot thicker than a Macbook, but still I doubt we will see the 2.4ghz processor from Apple's $1599 Macbook in a $799 Mini. Nor will we see such a large hard drive.

1 model
2.0ghz Core 2 Duo
2gb DDR3
120gb HDD
9400M
Superdrive
Firewire unknown
1 Mini DisplayPort with MDP - DVI adapter in the box
$699

Intel Inside

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
IMO i dont feel that the minis will have 2 display ports. simply because if you really wanted/needed 2 displays you would most likely be a professional and would buy the Mac Pro. Light/Beginners buy the mini as it is cheap machine and good for light use eg. Safari, Mail, iLife, iWork

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
IMO i dont feel that the minis will have 2 display ports. simply because if you really wanted/needed 2 displays you would most likely be a professional and would buy the Mac Pro. Light/Beginners buy the mini as it is cheap machine and good for light use eg. Safari, Mail, iLife, iWork

Even if it were as small as a Time Capsule, giving it two Mini DisplayPort plugs would eliminate about 15% of the argument for the xMac crowd. There would be a bunch of people buying it for that capability.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Ah thank you both!

And wouldn't it just be GREAT if apple started to put ESATA ports on their machines....

I would love it for one. Same speed as the internal drive, but in an external case drive. I have tried it first hand on the mac pro, (they have some esata ports on the mobo) NICE. but since no other machine except for the mac pro has this.......I would have to have another mac pro at my other location if I wanted a truly fast mobile system (that just required carrying the hard drive around)

lol it would be nice but I wouldn't count on it. I have a feeling they would put Firewire 3200 or something on before eSATA.

And correct me if I'm wrong but the Mac Pro doesn't have eSATA ports, am I right? I know it has some SATA ports, but they are NOT (supposed to be) compatible with eSATA...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.