Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Many of the operations I perform related to business, such as setting up different tables, doing different functions, etc., are easily performed on Microsoft Excel for PC. I'm sure all of the other business professionals in this forum can agree that Excel for PC truly is the application of the business world, allowing a vast array of different functions to be performed.

However, I am simply not satisfied with Micrsoft Office for Mac 2008. I know a lot of this has to do with the suite of applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) being designed to run on Mac OS X, as opposed to a Windows operating system, but the feel and functionality is completely different.

Therefore, I am considering purchasing iWork when a new version is released.. this will allow me to perform different business operations on my Mac while I don't have access to Excel for PC. I will therefore avoid the frustration of Excel for Mac.

As a businessman or businesswoman, would you recommend iWork? How do you cope with needing to perform different complex business operations when you do not have access to Microsoft Excel for PC?

Frustrated... :mad:

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Both apps is common for many a Mac user.

If you have to share a lot of files with the PC side, I would recommend Office for Mac, but I have not tried the latest version of iWork and swapping files with MS Office in the PC world.

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Download iWork and demo it.... pretty sure you'll find almost all your excel spreadsheets will NOT open in iWork properly. Your word .doc's will open much better - but was suprised to find Pages cannot have mixed page layout within a document (ie both portrait and landscape pages!).

I've found the 'palette' in Word and Excel for Mac to be an improvement - certainly better than when I saw a guy wrestling with the 'ribbon' interface on a PC.... but if you're fan of 2007 then VMware fusion would be good.

Coops

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
As a professional Numbers is a bag of hurt for me. In order to perform higher level functions I've found I need to stick with Excel. As a student it was similar as I was studying a specific area of finance.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
From a business standpoint the project management features of Entourage makes me vote for MSO 08.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
As much as I love iWork and prefer it to Office in just about every way, if you are making spreadsheets for the business world you really should stick with Office. The file formats between the two programs are partially compatible, but not all the way, and therein lies the problem.

If things imported and looked identical it would be a no brainer for me to recommend iWork, but considering that is not the case, for you I can't recommend anything else but Office at this point in time. Now who knows. Perhaps the next version of iWork will address this file compatibility issue more throughly. Or, you might like the new version of Office which is also on it's way. We won't know till both are released I guess!

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
office for the compatibility factor alone.. what happens if a client/boss/whatever sends you a spreadsheet with scripts or encoding?

i actually have both office 2007 and 2008, 2008 for everyday stuff and 2007 for robustness and just-in-case

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
def. go with office, the compatibility issues with iwork are not worth the hassle. I like Iwork but as a student even i find it annoying with the compatibilty issues with word and pages. I like keynote but cant use it due to my whole school using powerpoint.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
def. go with office, the compatibility issues with iwork are not worth the hassle. I like Iwork but as a student even i find it annoying with the compatibilty issues with word and pages. I like keynote but cant use it due to my whole school using powerpoint.

The following is for njean777, not really for the OP.

I got by with using Keynote, it was a struggle, but not as much as using Powerpoint.
1. Most importing of .ppt files and opening them via Keynote went fine. For most of them it was just a matter of notes for slides, so if things didn't line up dead perfectly - I could care less.
2. I was able to make and present almost all of my presentations by just plugging into our Smartboards using VGA out of my MacBook Pro.
3. I always made a back-up of the presentation via Quicktime, which all of the school's PCs had just in case something went awful.
4. When teachers required me to turn in a .ppt file. I made the presentation in Keynote and converted it to .ppt either via Keynote's Share feature or by making images of the slides and simply making those individual Powerpoint slides.​

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
The answer is it depends. You might impress during presentations or the upper management with iWork's beautiful templates. But if you're the accountant type of person, Excel + Windows is a must.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
I actually prefer the interface and usability of Office 2008 for Mac over Office 2007, but MS really gimped the Mac version feature-wise. For instance I deal a lot in XML data and one of the key features of Excel for Windows is the ability to import XML maps which is just not possible (as far as I can tell from searching around quite a lot) on the Mac version. Hopefully the next version will be more feature complete, but Excel 2008 for Mac is lacking a lot. Word is just fine, though. But a word processor is the least of my worries.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
However, I am simply not satisfied with Micrsoft Office for Mac 2008. I know a lot of this has to do with the suite of applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) being designed to run on Mac OS X, as opposed to a Windows operating system, but the feel and functionality is completely different.

Therefore, I am considering purchasing iWork when a new version is released.. this will allow me to perform different business operations on my Mac while I don't have access to Excel for PC. I will therefore avoid the frustration of Excel for Mac.

If your issue is "feel and functionality" that is different between Mac Office and Windows Office, how is iWork going to be any better?

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
You can go to Apple and check on their free online seminars. One of them is iWork for Business, and describes how various businesses have adapted iWork to their specific needs. Very well done and well thought out.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
From a business perspective, ditch Mac OS X, iWork and Office:Mac and use Windows with Microsoft Office for Windows - it's the only solution that really works for business purposes. (Private use is a different story.)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
From a business perspective, ditch Mac OS X, iWork and Office:Mac and use Windows with Microsoft Office for Windows - it's the only solution that really works for business purposes. (Private use is a different story.)

Completely wrong. Windows has higher total cost of ownership so it's actually worst for businesses if long term costs are considered.

Plenty of businesses use Macs and somehow they are doing well. For example, CEO of Nintendo.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Completely wrong. Windows has higher total cost of ownership so it's actually worst for businesses if long term costs are considered.

Plenty of businesses use Macs and somehow they are doing well. For example, CEO of Nintendo.

Sure, maybe if you're the CEO of a massive company and can throw money at software and hardware like it's nothing. But for those who are managing their own small businesses, Macs aren't always the best option. My dad has his own private practice, and through the years he's had various versions of VMware and Parallels, along with the XP license, to run software that flat out doesn't exist for the Mac (trust me, I've looked). If you only need basic software, then Macs are fine, but a lot of businesses rely on very specific apps that are hard to come by for the Mac, unfortunately.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Once again, this depends on the business. The business I work for had me in MORE due to OS X/Windows incompatibilities then they ever did when they were a Windows only office. I'm almost never in for Windows issues anymore.

OP: Go with Office 2008. It's the only way to even pretend to be compatible.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
There's also OpenOffice and the Google online apps which look like crap everywhere since its browser based (Google Chrome for Mac and Windows looks basically the same, too).

I took a college class dealing with business apps (e.g. MS Office) and used Excel on a Mac to do the work. I don't think I had much of a problem once I got the toolbars arranged more like the lessons in the book required.

Of course I had spent years making Excel workbooks for a small business so I was already aware of how to use Excel (unlike my classmates).

I personally do not care for the menus in Excel for Windows hiding most of the options by default unless you expand the menu. Usually the functions I need are in the hidden parts.

If you can't get past the visual/usability differences try OpenOffice.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
As a Mac fan I hate to say it, but "real" Office 2007 running on a Windows VM was the only way I could get full compatibility back at work. Office 2008 is pretty close, but not perfect.

I ran into issues where I would open a file in Office 2008 Mac and not realize that 'tracked changes' were on, which would have defaulted to displaying properly in 2007 Windows. Or, some of the Excel cell style would get stripped out if you edited it in 2008 Excel Mac.

No replacement for 'real', unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.