Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnxgenral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
So I don't even need to wait for a 3G model because the tethering from my iPhone is flawless. Been on it all day!! Basically the mywi app creates a tethered wifi network that the iPad sees right away. Amazing. Posted from my IPad while in the car. Haha.

Jack. :apple:

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
So I don't even need to wait for a 3G model because the tethering from my iPhone is flawless. Been on it all day!! Basically the mywi app creates a tethered wifi network that the iPad sees right away. Amazing. Posted from my IPad while in the car. Haha.

Where do you get the mywi apps.

Noplac2hyd

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
I have been trying to do that and it sees and connects to my iPhone but when I try to surf it says not connected to the Internet

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Hmm... had my iPhone jailbroken ages ago but went back to normal as I didn't actually get that much from it to be honest. But this sounds really appealing. Not got iPad yet as Apple haven't told us in the UK anything, but I had decided to go for Wifi-only model and get something like Pay as you go Mifi device as that would be cheaper that buying the 3G iPad model. But if I can use the 3G I'm already paying for on my iPhone, then that makes it even better. I'd even consider buying an iPad with larger capacity then.

It's been a while since I tried jailbreaking. What's the latest thing? Blackrain or something? Is that the one that has MyWi?

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009

Same with Mifis, don't even need an iPhone :)

apkent

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
The '3' network here in the UK offer a MiFi device - takes a sim card to access 3G internet and creates a wifi network for up to 5 devices to simultaneously access the net.

I've recently got one and its brilliant - been using an 8GB ipod touch as a lightweight browsing device for weeks now. Leave it plugged into the mains and its always available to use at home, or unplug it and it'll provide internet for 8 hours continuously.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
This works incredibly well. I have no need for the 3G version at this point.

Only hiccup I found was one website recognized it as a mobile browser. Ah well, I don't use the web based gmail on this anyway.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
Yes but what a drain on the iPhone battery, started at 78% and 15 min later was down to 60% on iPhone 3GS. 3G really is crappy on the iPad, not impressive. Is it going to be that sluggish when the 3G iPads come out?

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Maybe you have a weak signal or something?

It was coming in just fine on my iPad. All 5 bars though. I was able to browse espn.com in a similar time frame.

I haven't tried Netflix or anything and I wouldn't want to. AT&T would cut me off pretty quickly I assume. :)

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I'm out watching a game in this beautiful weather playing with my iPad using MyWi. It is absolutely flawless, and for only $30 a month. I'm loving the attention I am getting too. Apparently cute girls know what the iPad is. ;)

TeeJayEm

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
Man I wish I knew about this two days ago. I actually got a palm pre (at verizon) so I could mifi to my iPad. I hope The iPhone comes to verizon now lol.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yup, another satisfied user here! Posting via this setup now and the forums are loading nice and fast.

On a side note, I'm surprised how fast I can type on this thing...

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
How much is the app? And one concern I have is with Cydia Store apps, if I purchase a new phone or just upgrade the software on my current iPhone (assuming the new phone/software is jailbroken) will I be able to re-download the application for free?

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
How much is the app? And one concern I have is with Cydia Store apps, if I purchase a new phone or just upgrade the software on my current iPhone (assuming the new phone/software is jailbroken) will I be able to re-download the application for free?

$9.99 and totally worth it.

Yes.

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
Mine won work. It connects but won't get online. It sees the myfi wireless connection. Just won't get online.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I got the wifi only since i planned on tethering. Only problem is that I have iPhone 3G running the latest os 3.1.3. From what I read you can't jailbreak this os. And os 4.0 is going to be out in June which will do who knows what for jailbreaking.

Any tips for jail breaking 3.1.3 and has anyone heard of AT&T getting wise to tethering with mywi? Also i know it runs down the phone battery but if phone is plugged in to a car charger no problems right?

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Works great

MyWi does work great! Yesterday I watched an entire episode of Modern Family on the ABC app via iPhone mywi tether :)

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Just in case anybody is using Android phone around here, if you rooted your phone and have "Wireless Tether for Root User", it works perfectly too ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.