Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skitzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Apparently my iphone is bricked. I know that much. And I've read damn near every forum on the web about how to get it out of this and they all say "get it DFU mode and all the steps to follow it with the holding the sleep/wake button and home button, letting it power off, holding the home button down and all that jazz BUT what if the phone never goes off? Everyone says you should hold the buttons about 10 seconds but I've been holding the buttons down for MORE than that and still nothing happens. My fingers hurt from holding these two buttons down so much. So how do I get it into this stupid DFU mode??? I'm so desperate I've given up on searching. Someone help me PLEASE!!!!!!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You need to hold them for 10 seconds. No more, no less. Use a timer.

Although, if your phone truly is bricked then there's no point in trying to get it into DFU mode...

skitzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
You need to hold them for 10 seconds. No more, no less. Use a timer.

Although, if your phone truly is bricked then there's no point in trying to get it into DFU mode...

I did. 10 seconds...with a stopwatch. Still nothing. It's stuck on this "spinning wheel of death" screen.

and if i shouldnt be trying to get it into dfu mode then what should i be trying to do?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I did. 10 seconds...with a stopwatch. Still nothing. It's stuck on this "spinning wheel of death" screen.

and if i shouldnt be trying to get it into dfu mode then what should i be trying to do?

IDK about the "no more no less" comment above. Just hold the home and power buttons until the screen goes black, and then keep holding the home button. If the screen hasn't gone black in ~10 seconds, then start over.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
IDK about the "no more no less" comment above.

I freely admit that it's been a long time since I've done it, but I was under the impression that you had to release the top button after 10 seconds. Maybe I'm mixing things up; sorry for any confusion.

Edit: This says that it's exactly 10 seconds.

skitzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Okay....LISTEN. I've jailbroken iphones before. I know it doesnt always catch on the first try. What I'm saying is that when u hold the wake/sleep button and the home button its supposed to power down, right? Well, its not. It's stuck on the apple logo screen with the loading circle moving VERY slowly. It doesnt have any reaction to any of the buttons whatsoever. Also, every 10 minutes....exactly....it does this blinking thing. I've tried timing it to that but all that happens is the screen goes black. Then after 10 seconds I let the wake/sleep button go but nothing happens. It just stays off. And if I plug it into a computer or a charger the process starts all over again. THIS is the problem I'm trying to solve.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I freely admit that it's been a long time since I've done it, but I was under the impression that you had to release the top button after 10 seconds. Maybe I'm mixing things up; sorry for any confusion.

Edit: This says that it's exactly 10 seconds.

I know it says that, but in practice it doesn't work like that. I thought the same thing as you the first time I did DFU. I've done DFU mode lots of times though and sometimes it goes at 8 seconds, sometimes around 10. Like I said, once it goes black, I let go of the power button.

Okay....LISTEN. I've jailbroken iphones before. I know it doesnt always catch on the first try. What I'm saying is that when u hold the wake/sleep button and the home button its supposed to power down, right? Well, its not. It's stuck on the apple logo screen with the loading circle moving VERY slowly. It doesnt have any reaction to any of the buttons whatsoever. Also, every 10 minutes....exactly....it does this blinking thing. I've tried timing it to that but all that happens is the screen goes black. Then after 10 seconds I let the wake/sleep button go but nothing happens. It just stays off. And if I plug it into a computer or a charger the process starts all over again. THIS is the problem I'm trying to solve.

Sounds like you're not going to be able to get in DFU mode. You might try letting it power down and then try to charge it and try again to get into DFU mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.