Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
i was just curios if you guys think it's best to leave the front alone and just add it to the back since the back is more prone to scratch more easy?

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
+1

That's what I've been thinking. My iPhone 3G has been beat to cr@p and the screen is still totally fine (especially when it's turned on).. so I don't see why I would ever put a screen protector on the front which to me would ruin the beautiful display.

As for the back, I would think that may be more venerable to scratches, but if it is also the same glass it should fare well too.

I never used a case on my iPhone 3G for 2 years and I dropped that sucker (and banged it on the dashboard - to get a signal!) and it still works good. I guess some kind of bumper (or similar case) would be all that I want for protection, butI'm still on the fence even for that.

????

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
I'd say it is. I remember my iPod touch being scratched from just being in my pocket with no keys, coins or anything.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
If the front is indeed Gorilla glass, and if you're reasonably careful w/ it - I'm not sure a protector on the front is needed.

thetonyclifton

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2006
Belfast - UK
I always do.

I have had an iphone since the original was released and have always had a screen protector.

Yes it is difficult to scratch the screen from normal usage but it doesnt mean that it wont happen and I hate to have to look at a scratch for the next year.

Despite being very careful with my phones and most of the time using a case as well as a screen protector - all of my iphones have had at least one serious fall each - where the screen protector got scratched up - simply peeled it off and I have no doubt that it saved my screen.

I am not touting any particular brand but there are a few out there that are very good and make no impact on the screen. With the new retina display in my experience some will have a negative impact but there will still be those that do not (they just might be different brands this time) - my advice - read the reviews and get a screen protector.

ps49556n

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
I depends on your priorities...if you care more about viewing the display COMPLETELY unobstructed from a screen protector than you do about preserving the "new" condition (for resale or whatever), than don't get a screen protector. If you care more about preserving the new condition and can tradeoff a little of the screen's clarity with a protector, put one on. I see people going on and on about invisishields vs. wrapsol vs. another brand and frankly they are just splitting hairs. There are NO screen protectors on the market that will protect and be not obvious it is on. Simple as that. The closest thing woud be a Power Support Crystal Shield (which aren't even out yet for iPhone 4) and even with that products, there are major flaws such as how the edges are VERY prone to trap dust and dirt, eventually allowing the sides to easily lift up.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
I depends on your priorities...if you care more about viewing the display COMPLETELY unobstructed from a screen protector than you do about preserving the "new" condition (for resale or whatever), than don't get a screen protector. If you care more about preserving the new condition and can tradeoff a little of the screen's clarity with a protector, put one on. I see people going on and on about invisishields vs. wrapsol vs. another brand and frankly they are just splitting hairs. There are NO screen protectors on the market that will protect and be not obvious it is on. Simple as that. The closest thing woud be a Power Support Crystal Shield (which aren't even out yet for iPhone 4) and even with that products, there are major flaws such as how the edges are VERY prone to trap dust and dirt, eventually allowing the sides to easily lift up.

Well put.

WillieG

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
Orlando, FL.

I totally agree! I never used a screenshied with the 1st gen. Then got on the bandwagon with all other models. Now with the iphone 4 and Retina Display, I want to enjoy the sharpness and beauty of the new retina display. I bought an ifrogs Luxe, which for some reason does not work with any screen shield.

At this point, the case is enough protection, and I will enjoy the screen in the nude. The Retina Display is to be enjoyed. And I intend to enjoy it fully!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
It's stupid and useless and ugly. Screen protectors don't do anything except make your awesome device look ugly. They collect dirt and dust and look like something died on it.

Cakester

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2009
Columbus
Recently sold my iPhone 3G, which never had a screen protector. Picked up a 3GS which came with an invisible shield.

There weren't any deep gouges in my iPhone 3G, but there were some hairline scratches that weren't noticeable when the screen was on, but if you were being particular....and staring at it in the right angle.

I like the feel of not having one, but also enjoy the protection of the shield. Honestly, I don't feel that it takes away from too much of the enjoyment of the phone.

If you value that razor sharp touch sensitivity and can keep your glass safe, don't rock a cover. But, I'd rather regret having one on....and take it off....then not put one on and get a scratched screen.

These things are very "condom" like. The motion is the same, but it's just not quite the same sensation.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
I really like some of the screen protectors from SGP. If you apply it correctly, it's very hard to tell there's even one on the phone. Plus, if you're one of those people who stress out over the tiniest scratch, it's well worth spending a couple of dollars on a screen protector.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Everything you just said is wrong. Exaggerate much?

Yea, screen protectors make your awesome device look even more awesome. Spending money to protect a hardened glass screen is smart. Spending money on a useless thing is totally not useless. And they don't collect dust and dirt. Sure...

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Personally, I doubt that the back glass is really any more prone to scratches than the front glass. The difference is that you intentionally place your device down on a flat hard surface with the back "down" but not the front down.

Add a little real world grit in between, and those two perfectly flat surfaces each lose.

Get a screen protector, or get a case/bumper that lifts the glass up a little. Better still, get both.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
I NEVER had a screen protector on my 3G or 3GS, & never got a single scratch, even though I dropped it way more than I should. I dropped it on concrete, blacktop, carpet, tile, etc., yet no scratches at all! I put a Wrapsol Ultra on the back of my 4. I had the front screen protector, too, but took it off after a few days.

Drakdaddy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Yea, screen protectors make your awesome device look even more awesome. Spending money to protect a hardened glass screen is smart. Spending money on a useless thing is totally not useless. And they don't collect dust and dirt. Sure...

Theres a difference between those cheap 2$ protectors that you get from the at&t store and the ones that we are talking about...You honestly know nothing.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
If you don't put keys in the same pocket as your phone then you don't need one. If you're like my wife who throws it in her purse, sometimes along with her keys, then you should probably get something like a Power Support screen protector. There is a huge difference between the and cheap screen protectors that usually come free with cases. With a good screen protector, people cannot tell you have one on unless they look at the circle around your button.

StandardMeth0d

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
I already have a scratch on the back, but i'm not sure if the back and front use the same kind of glass. It was enough to buy a BSE though.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
I'd say get a screen shield... I've already got some micro scratches on the screen and I've babied this thing. You can only notice them if you look for them them, right angle in the right lighting, its annoying knowing they're there though. Best screen shield I've used was the power support crystal, you can't even tell its there for the most part.

I'd probably get something for the back too, it appears to be even more susceptible to scratches as I've got a few there too.

mmyers0520

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
USA
ive had them on my old phones and been without one and the only thing that scratched my old screen on the 3g was grains of sand in my pocket when i was at the beach...and that screen is supposedly not as durable as the 4s. i might try one but remember how hard it was to line up just the home button, speaker, and sides so it looked good? now we have to worry about the front facing camera hole too?! ugrh they'll need to have 5 or 10 packs so we have more to throw away/try again :mad:

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
yes.

my friend just showed me his i4 and it has a small nick and 6 hairline scratches across the front. He dropped his i4 in his driveway. No front or back screen shield. Only a bumper. He is buying any case and front screen shield he can find today to hold him over.

I tried to take pics but none of them came out. its very hard to see the nick and scratches.

I'm glad I got an IS on mine. If hairline scratches and small nicks in the glass do not bother you then do not get a screen shield, but if you are OCD, you best do it now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.