‘Family Values’ GOP Lawmaker’s Racy Texts To Intern: ‘God I Want You Right Now’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 14, 2015.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Why is it the most religious GOP's that want to force their faith on others can't ever seem to live by their faith? seems if they spent more time following their faith they force on others they may actually be more moral.
    http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/0...ts-to-intern-god-i-want-you-right-now-images/

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

“Therefore it is unnecessary for a prince to have all the good qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always to observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and to be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.”

- Machiavelli

3. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I don't know, because nobody's perfect?

Also, how does this faith-forcing work? If that's so easy to do, can't we apply it to other things, like forcing everyone to accept man made climate change?

4. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Then don't make laws that you can't do yourself. Making laws that's reflect you're faiths forcing your faith on others and when you can't even follow your own faithful whose are you to burden others with them. Forcing them to accept facts? I know we should only force faith on others.

5. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

That's silly. Do you ever do anything wrong? Have you ever broken a law that you actually agreed with, in a moment of weakness?

Just because you have a bad habit of rolling through stop signs doesn't mean you need to advocate for the abolition of stop signs.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

DID he pass any laws on adultery? lying?

7. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

but should you go around saying how great they are when you can't do it yourself? if you can't keep your penis in your pants don't try to force others to do so. we are talking so called moral laws when you can't follow your own morals then you can't expect others to do so.
    but I know it is perfectly ok to preach what you can't do yourself it says it is perfectly fine in the bible right?

8. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Clearly he is just expressing his love for God. What's the big deal? :rolleyes:

:p

9. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

he is trying to pass family values laws while he can't practice those same family values.

10. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

It can diminish your authority, yes. But I doubt people who don't like whatever laws he's pushing will suddenly like them just because the guy is perfect, either.

This Samuel Johnson quote is apt:

"Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself."

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

link to the laws he tried passing.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He's the Speaker of the House. Every bill they pass has his fingerprints all over it.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the "family values" claim is by addicting info.

the laws he has passed seem to be anti gay.

I don't see anti gay laws as "family values" .

I see them as bigoted and extremely stupid.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I see them as that as well, but still they do tend to push it as a "family/traditional values" issue.

That was quick. I wonder how much pressure was being put on him internally?

16. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

How horrible. But a man of such values got what he sowed.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

The lawmaker's come on was the work of the Devil. :eek:

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"Please Lord make me chaste, but not just yet."

-- Saint Augustine of Hippo

19. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

The Republican Party platform disagrees with you.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So did Clinton when he signed DOMA

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

At a general level I can kind of sympathize with this, but I'm more inclined to believe this guy is a genuine creep (disclaimer : not because he's a Republican).

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yes his opinion changed in the last 2 decades plus since then, much like the majority of the country. Except the GOP, of course. You can keep trying to bring that up in every thread as if it's relevant, but you need to stop trying to make fetch happen.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Pretty ironic you claiming I want to make fetch happen when the one bringing up the GOP is you . :rolleyes:

24. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

GOP "family values" are the topic of this thread. However, the only one randomly bringing up Clinton unprovoked is you.

25. dec., May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

dec. Suspended

dec.

I don't think it's a big deal and really this case was blown out of proportion. These days people (hopefully) aren't stupid enough to believe that politicians stick to whatever "ideals" they try to sell in public. And as you can see by the replies in this thread, the tolerance level for mistakes is very high (ok, "mistakes" were only declared to be such once someone else found it out, otherwise they'd be sexting happily ever after... :D ). And in the end he'll just help people to understand that their own little indiscretions outside of their marriages are something that can happen to everyone.