‘Monsanto Protection Act’ Sneaks Through Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Mar 25, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This would never happen if Romney was President. Wait, what?

http://news.yahoo.com/monsanto-protection-act-sneaks-spending-bill-180416331.htmlLink

Interesting…

[​IMG]

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

WHO slipped it in? (The article says that Murkowski turned her back and let it in, but doesn't say who was responsible.)

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

She's the head of the committee. She's responsible.

And where the hell did it say it was slipped in when she turned her back?

4. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Holy crap! A non-altruistic Democrat? How could that be?

5. mcrain, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The article does NOT say she put the amendment in, it merely says that she "turned her back" and allowed it. In other words, it was an amendment put in by someone else, and there are a 1000 reasons why controversial amendments might be allowed without scuttling an entire bill.

If you don't know that, you are seriously lacking in your social studies skills.

(edit) I'm researching now, but I just found something that referenced 4 democrats on the committee trying to get the language stricken. They obviously failed, but it certainly sounds like something inserted by one of the Republican members of the committee. I wonder who.

(edit2) Surprise, the guy who inserted this has an R after his name!

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The committee has 16 Democrats and 14 Republicans. As far as my knowledge of the political process goes, a bill has to pass through the committee before it's considered by the full senate. So this must have had Democratic support.

It's a shame that there was no vote on the matter. I'd like to know which Democrats were on board with this.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

As would I. Although, I know there are a lot of Democrats who represent rural/primarily farming regions. There are also a lot who get a lot of money from farming related companies.

It isn't just about party, but who has been bought and sold.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No doubt. Voting records would help determine that.

9. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Democrat or Republican, it doesn't matter, they're both bought off by big corporations.

Take money out of politics and something like this wouldn't happen and we'd actually get representatives that act in the interest of the populace.

----------

Awww how cute, you do what you're best at by chastising someone who simply has a D next to their name. Also, did you upvote your post like you normally do?

10. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I love how stuff like this gets through, but the FAA still has to close air traffic control towers. Priorities right?

11. CalWizrd, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013

CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Even though I'm still laughing at the mental image of your "ladies" comment, I guess I'll try to control myself long enough to respond.

If you think I automatically denote negative commentary to a (D) player, I will make you a little bet. I will go through every one of my posts in my posting history, and count and/or list every one that makes any negative reference to a Democrat. However, I'd like you to do the same with regard to negative references to a Republican. Since post histories are openly available, anyone else can feel free to play along in this game as a referee.

I will bet you $1,000 that you have made many more negative references to Republicans than I have to Democrats. I am dead serious about this. If we can find a neutral party to hold the "stake", I will get the cash to them ASAP. You?

P.S. I guess I must have upvoted my post at least 5 times. Quick hands.

P.P.S Don't start deleting/editing your old posts. That really wouldn't be very sporting.

12. iMikeT, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013

iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'm not shy about ridiculing stupid people so I'll automatically lose this bet, hence I'm out.

13. ijohn.8.80, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

You don't mean like the ancient Greeks did where the populace at large actually served on councils (for a month at a time I think) and nobody had tenures? Probably the fairest ever form of politics. Your area is genuinely represented by people from your area and people chose to actively be a part of their community as a result.

We home-school our kids and we covered this last year with our then 12 year old twins.

Edit:
    I find it quite confusing that so few people have even made comment about this issue here, are people really so apathetic to just let something major like this slide on by? Too distracted by the rumours of what features the iPhone 5S may have on board to pay attention to real life?

Here in Australia and even my small city we have a very strong anti-GM presence that gets heard at all levels of government from local to federal. I think the same can be said for Europe too.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It seems as though people equate GM with the devil (at least in Europe). I hope everybody realizes that they are already eating GM food, except that the GM was through generation-by-generation experimentation with artificial selection. Those orange organic carrots you've been eating are GM food - they were initially pale, woody and bitter. Wheat, rice, corn, apples, grapes, pumpkins, etc. are all GM compared to their wild counterparts. Even most pets are GM (albino rabbits, Siamese cats (effectively albino), bubble-eyed goldfish, pedigreed dogs, etc.). My point is that we have been engaged in unregulated GM experimentation for thousands of years, applying artificial selection to virtually every plant and animal we have ever domesticated. I fail to understand why people have a sudden mistrust of the more precise GM techniques we use now.

The issue shouldn't be GM. It should be that farmers seem to plant huge areas of land with just one crop, reducing the biodiversity to 0 and effectively making most fields a desert for wildlife.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

By the broadest definition, you are correct but we've never before put genes from a salmon into a tomato. That kind of GM manipulation gives me serious cause for concern. There's also proof that Round Up Ready crops only increase the evolution of noxious weeds to the point where only the strongest herbicides are able to kill them.

I live in California where enormous swaths of the state are given over to enormous fields of all sorts of food crops. I couldn't agree with you more that biodiversity is seriously threatened and that monocultures only increase the need for more GM crops and harsh pesticides. Many farmers no longer consider their crops to be food, only a "product" and they're not wrong because the production of that product is very factory like.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And this is why we need limits on riders, complete sunshine on who proposes and votes on committee actions, and consideration of line item vetos.

And a more vigilant press and informed populace would be nice.

17. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Selective breeding and genetic modification are not the same thing. Want to know the difference?

-Selective breeding: Bulldog + Terrier
    -Genetic Modification: Bulldog + Turnip

18. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

But Obama signed it...

Also, some said they didn't know it was in there....Dont these people read the bills they sign?

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

According to Nancy Pelosi, we have to pass the bill in order to know what is in it.;)

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Reading the bills they pass would get in the way of them arguing.

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is ridiculous. Why is it we can't fire politicians again?

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Ignorant anti-GM protestors near me who violated the law and sabotaged an ecological field trial of a GM crop so its impact could not be assessed : human being + turnip

23. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

We can....we just don't.

24. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Actually you're wrong on both counts. Selective breeding is taking two of the same species with traits you'd like to combine or enhance in their offspring.

Genetic modification is going after the same result (desired traits) but by injecting those traits into the DNA of another sample. It's really not as a scary as you make it out to be, and contrary to your claim developing GMO strains does not involve putting animal genes into plant DNA.

I really am at a loss as to why people are so scared of GMOs, they're proven by agency after agency to be safe for consumption and the environment. Heck, organic farmers have to use *more* chemicals on their crops since a major reason why GMOs are developed in the first place is to require LESS application of pesticides and herbicides. I've gone through multiple case studies which all show crop chemical firms losing quite of a bit of revenue because farmers simply do not need to keep dousing crops. Besides, even if this werent true of GMO's the American Cancer Society themselves states that neither pesticide residue nor GMOs themselves pose any danger. Even beyond all that, if we converted back to organic farming methods we would barely be able to feed half the global population. GMO's are nothing to be afraid of.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Does Obama have a line item veto?

The solution to this is for each and every legislator to have taxpayer funded staff to read bills continually. Doing that would be worthwhile, but it wouldn't be cheap.