"‘Sesame Street’ episodes are intended for grown-ups"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Nov 20, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

OK, now that I sucked you in with the mildly out of context quote (full quote below), I am disturbed that anybody, especially the producers of Sesame Street, could ever call any episode of the show unsuited for children.

I came into the Sesame Street almost 10 years after its introduction, and I'm sure that many changes had occurred by then. But, isn't it possible that by making all these changes, especially with the eternally irritating and peppy Elmo, we are raising a generation that believes that it must be continually entertained, and that everybody has a right to always be happy and never sad?

Of course, I don't disagree with the point on the Gordon/Sally scene....

The full quote is: “These early ‘Sesame Street’ episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child.”

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So the simple charms of the past are now the politically-incorrect dangers of the present?

Whoever wrote that warning needs to chill out. :p

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I miss the old days. Stupid PC.

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I thought it absurd to until I read the article. That has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time. I can see their point to a certain extent. To kids nowadays, it would be extremely boring if not completely foreign. Good read