‘Somebody Aimed a Gun at Him’: Huckabee Makes Shocking Obama Joke

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 19, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Well if that's not racist idk what is.

McCain better distance himself from Huckabee.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm not familiar with the different kinds of racial tension in the US, so perhaps I don't understand the reference. All I saw was a person making a stupid joke, I didn't catch any racial undertones; it was just a groaner to me.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't get the racism either. its a very distasteful joke though. and kinda bad. or well very bad.

5. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Obama is an african-american male. So was MLK and he was assassinated. See the (sick) connection?

EDIT: Please don't take that the wrong way. I have nothing against anyone.

6. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Senator Obama has had a US Secret Service protective detail from an extremely early point in his campaign- the earliest ever for a US Presidential candidate- primarily because of fears that he's a "target" for assassination just for being a black candidate.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-05-03-obama-secret-service_N.htm

Actually, I think it has a lot more to do with Jessie Jackson's death threats as a candidate in the past than MLK. I don't claim any special insight into this though.

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Didn't this happen Thursday? 4 days later and not much news on it.

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

It sickens me to think that it is the year 2008 and there are still disgusting ppl in the world who would even think about harming/killing someone just because of the color of their skin.

:mad:

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Making a racism connection here is a bit of a stretch. One would think a joke like that would be more insulting to NRA members. Some of them may be gun nuts, but making jokes to that effect towards the organization as a whole is not really a great way to win friends.

I think maybe we're just sensitive to the idea of an underlying racial angle because while a lot of us are encouraged by the political success Obama has enjoyed, many of us are nervously half waiting for the other shoe to drop, all too aware of the grim reality that there are still people in this country who support keeping black people out of political power at any cost.

Huckabee could have made the same joke about Clinton or anyone else. I'm not a fan of his, but I don't really get the impression race was on his mind.

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Racial undertones? Come on. It was a lame joke, Huckabee acknowledged that later on and absolutely apologized. He's not a bad guy. His views are just on the wrong side of the political spectrum. I am an Obama supporter (have been hoping he'd run for president even before he was a senator) and in no way did I feel there was racism in what Huckabee said. People need to stop trying to find negatives like that in comments/situations where it simply does not exist. Move on. Otherwise, this is now the left side trying to spin.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It was a bad attempt at a joke. I had to look at the clip a few times to even figure out what he was saying. If anyone the people in the room were the ones that didn't like it.

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

There are those people, but it has nothing to do with this incident. This was not racist.

You're trying to tell me because a MLK (an african american) was assassinated that somehow someone making a joke of another african american dying is racist? Don't you see that there's no connection there?

14. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

There was nothing racist about this! Quit trying to make something out of nothing. It was simply a joke....:rolleyes:

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Notice how many people didn't laugh when he said it? Are you also aware of all the people who've talked about Obama being assassinated? People on these very boards have mentioned it. You can't tell me Huckabee isn't aware of that.

Now- perhaps he didn't mean it as some people took it, but it was absolutely a stupid thing to say. And where did I ever mention race?

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They didn't laugh because the joke wasn't funny. This is just like when Kerry made a joke 4 years ago and everyone got on him.

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Yeah, I definitely understand this point of view, and I acknowledge it's possible, but it's enough of a stretch I'm willing to be very circumspect in publicly interpreting his intentions. Even the lack of laughter admits of a couple of possible interpretations.

And as far as where you personally mentioned race, obviously you didn't, but the thread sure went that way about as quickly as it could have done.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Will no one rid me of this meddlesome Obama??"

Whoops, we all know what happened next.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Really, really lame attempt at humor (especially given the audience).

Lethal

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Now if he said he had just been offered a chance to go hunting with the Vice President, it would have been funny.

21. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

NRA-type gun owners generally take pointing a gun at someone rather more seriously and less humorously than most stereotypical gun owners, so that alone would have killed any laughter even if it had been minutely funny.

As a former candidate, Huckabee has to have been aware that Obama took USSS protection before any other candidate in history has.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And it could get really ugly if he even wins the nomination, let alone the Presidency.

They better order about 10 matching bullet-proof limos for ground travel.

And air travel?? :eek:

23. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Actually, I don't think it will. So far only WV seems to have had a seriously negative racial vote for Obama (though I'm not a fan of the "positive" racial voting that went on elsewhere.

I think we're further past that than even I'd hoped. Heck, even Al Sharpton was looking at both sides in the Philly thing instead of just blasting in an interview.

Can't comment on the limos, etc. due to prior restraint on free speech. :cool:

24. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Its annoying that everyone needs to comment on the comment that someone thought this might come across as racist. Yes, the MAJORITY of people posting here hardly would consider this joke racist. It clearly wasn't.

Unfortunately, the racial edge to the joke exists in everyone hearing the joke. The idea of someone pointing a gun at Obama unleashes a torrent of thoughts. Early opinions from black voters pointed to a deep fear that he'd just get shot... So don't vote for him. When interviewed about the prospect of assasination, Michelle Obama noted that this was a possible reality Barack deals with every day walking down the street.

The joke was bad taste... And MORE SO because of what Obama represents. While Clinton has her own unjust opposition, because of her gender, I think those hating blacks who attempt to break barriers have historically been much more violent.

That said... the amount of disgusting, violent imagery being used to describe the democratic nomination struggle, when characterizing Clinton... Has been MUCH MUCH MUCH worst than what Huckabee said. I think Stewart put together a series of clips outlining the mysogynistic metaphorical overload. If Obama's campaign was failing and put on a "deathwatch", and people kept wanting her to "put him away"... There'd be outrage. Clinton's self-portrait as a "fighter" and harsh demeanor bare partial blame however.

~ CB

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh??

You too, eh.

[​IMG]

Re: Mod altered signature. ;)