“Approaching end of cycle” to “Mid product cycle”. Why the change?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by srowndedbyh2o, Apr 2, 2009.

1. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

I’ve been using “MacRumors” for a long time as a source for Mac news and info, but as I’m looking at getting my first laptop, I’ve just recently started checking out the MacRumors “Buyer’s Guide” and Forums. I think I’m pretty much set on getting an “entry level” 2.4GHz MacBook Pro with the upgrade to a 320GB 7200 HD and 4GB ram. At the Crazy price of $349, I’ll have to pass on the Apple Care.
    Anyway, to my question; although I could really use the laptop now, I started to wait when I noticed the MacRumors Buyer’s Guide change to “Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle”.
    But today (yesterday?) it changed back to
    “Recommendation: Neutral - Mid product cycle” . I did not notice any “upgrades” or changes to the MBP’s today, so why the change in the recommendation?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because there won't be any updates until November at the earliest, and that's even pushing it.

3. svndmvn Guest

the other 2 options for the 15" MBP got updated a few weeks ago and there's no performance gap, since we're in the middle of a product cycle, you are ready to buy and the machine satisfies your needs, go for it, you can also buy Apple Care at a lower price on Ebay, just be careful as usual.

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

My Applecare has paid for itself several times over and I would highly recommend it, especially for a laptop.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

No meaningful CPU updates, you mean.

6. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all for the replies. Guess it’s time to buy!
    I’ll look into AppleCare on eBay.

7. JoshJosh117, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If the predictions at MR weren't adjusted based on known information, then I'd say they're useless. Intel's plans have changed, so the predictions should change.

The fact that it changed is a good sign of MacRumours' desire to be somewhat accurate. ;)

9. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

I “guess” I just “like” ‘em!
    Thank “you” very much;)