“Delayed bubble” defect on Wintek panels could affect initial iPhone 5 shipments

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSacredSoul, Sep 23, 2011.

1. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/23/delay...nels-could-affect-initial-iphone-5-shipments/

I know this doesn't confirm anything about the iPhone 5 and if it's gonna be announced on the 4th but one can hope.

2. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What actually is a "Delayed bubble"?
    Is it air caught under the screen which makes in uneven?

3. Sodner, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

What ever it is it dosen't sound good. I see a billion people lined up to get this new "tear dropped shaped" iPhone 5 and like 500,000 being available. Ugly!

On another note: With this "bubble" rumor we are now back to thinking there is in fact a "5" and a "4s". :rolleyes:

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

From what I read it's a defect in the laminating process, which if not caught right away, can cause big problems. I surmise it's some type of bubble that doesn't present itself right away...hence the name "delayed bubble".

I hope it doesn't affect anything coming up. To say I would be disappointed to hear that there is no iphone 5 is an understatement.

5. wtmk81 macrumors member

This is really disappointing. I was hoping to get the new design. Well a little more then a week to go and all our questions will be answered. Can't wait to part ways with my Blackberry.

6. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's what I was thinking, I agree that it's probably something to do with the optical lamination process that started using in the iPhone 4. It's strange that they're having the issue the generation after they started using it though. If have expected these sort of problems to occur with the iPhone 4 when they introduced it, unless it's due to a dynamically different case design which to me seems a likely explanation.

7. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

The manufacturing defects only happen to iPhone 5, not to iPhone 4S. This confirms that iPhone 5 must be using different (size?) screens to iPhone 4S.

8. korndawg macrumors regular

From BGR:
    The defect described involves a bubble that appears between the panel and the lamination layer only after the displays are sent out for assembly. Wintek would not confirm or deny the report when contacted by DigiTimes for comment, though it did state that all of its products are being delivered on schedule. According to the report, Apple’s fourth-quarter shipment goal for the iPhone 5 is in the 25-26 million unit range. Wintek is estimated to be supplying between 20% and 25% of the display panels used in Apple’s iPhone 5.

So if it's affecting only the Wintek panels, we still should see a good amount of Iphone 5 shipments, just 20%-25% less. Get those preorders in ASAP once its announced!

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Remember the undried bonding agent issue with the iPhone 4 where screens had yellow spots until they dried?

Perhaps this manufacturer went the other way and used too little adhesive, this time.

10. Qoo macrumors 6502

if accidentally you receive the iphone 5 with 'delayed bubble' issue you can always walk in to the apple store for exchange right :confused: But i think the problem is when you find out this problem probably the apple store still not have enough inventory to exchange for you :confused:

11. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Exactly! it could be like the iPad 2 release where users with say screen "bleeding" took their existing iPad into a Genius for replacement and had to wait a few days to get a replacement.
    With a PHONE, that be a big deal.

12. korndawg macrumors regular

To me, I'd rather wait a few days for a replacement than a few months to actually get my hands on the phone in the first place.

13. mholtz2323, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

mholtz2323 macrumors member

BGR seems to be all over when it comes to iPhone 5/4s rumors. I know they are just reporting on a digitimes article, but just a few days ago they talked about there not being an iPhone 5.
    If these production issues are to be believed, then there has to be a redesign.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1227860&page=2

This thread now seems to be accurate. More than a week ago on a chinese website an individual said there were hardware issues with the iPhone 5, but that the iPhone 4s production is running smoothly. Also stated iOS5 is ready to go. I believe the poster said over 10 million were affected. He was accurate on many other things and claims to have a friend who is an employee at foxconn.
    Credit to the original poster of the thread, Smoodle.

14. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Agreed. And i'll repeat: this explains why the analysts haven't been seeing the iPhone 5 in the supply chain (there are numerous).

Wow, what a relief. I'd rather know that there's a redesigned iPhone 5 that is having delays, than just an iPhone 4S.
    I think we can all expect a redesigned iPhone 5 now guys, but it might be delayed a bit and might have shortages.

This should be front page news.

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Funny, I was just looking at this thread before coming here and I saw the topic of this article on SlashGear before coming here. This seem sto further support the existence of an iPhone 5. This quote from the SlashGear article seems to provide some hope that we won't have as much of a shortage:

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-facing-shortages-over-touch-trouble-tip-insiders-23182219/

17. pipa macrumors regular

And this is exactly what's going on with some of them. I hope this is not widespread

18. DVDxR macrumors regular

You do realize this thread is from last year and was referring to what turned out to be the iPhone 4s, right?